Air Racers in Oklahoma?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Racers in Oklahoma?

Well, after being stationed at Travis AFB in northern California for the last nine years I recieved my orders for a change of station this morning. ALTUS AFB here I come!!! I'm not really THAT excited about it but it's the better choice of all the options I was looking at. So the big question, does anybody know what air racers/warbird's are based in the area (zip 73521)? I know Miss America is up at Wiley Post airport in OKC but are there any others out there?
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Re: Air Racers in Oklahoma?

Hi Stevo
    Altus isn't very close to us but here in Tulsa we have a very active warbird group and Ike Enns with Miracle Maker is based here. Riverside Airport(RVS) has about 25 warbirds. Mostly T-6's but we also have Chipmunks, T-28's, one or two B-25's, L-39's, Diamond LIl has winter maintenance done here and I maintain a Yak-9 and am in the process of restoring 4 T-6's. You should come visit us when you get here if you make it up to Tulsa.

Thanks,Shane

Comment

Stevo-
      Great steaks out there, hope you're not a vegan.

The Confederate Air Force still has a base in North Texas, doesn't it.
      That's kinda close, globally speaking.

Good luck out thar.

Paul

Comment

Isn't it the commemerative airforce now? Not that it matters.
        Jarrod

Comment

Jarrod-
          Yeah I knew they changed it, couldn't remember the new version, think you got it right. "Politically Correct" (and a bit more considerate...)

Paris, Texas. is were they had a base. A little ways away, anybody know what's there now... (other then cows).

Paul

Comment

Shane, with that kind of heavy iron on the ramp you can bet I'll make that trip more than once. I checked out The Commemorative Air Forces website, looks like they have quite a few wings/squadrons around the area so I guess it won't be too bad.
            As for the steak... well, I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat steak... or fish... or pork. Guess I might as well be vegetarian, huh?
            Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
            My Photos
            My Ride

Comment

George Budde are here in OKC too. I have not seen George in a while though. Last I saw him was Reno 2003 I believe. I did not make 2004.

There is not a lot of air racing or war bird activity here.

BTW: Maybe we should call it the "Considerate Airforce" now...

Glenn Bloom

Comment

As far as Paris Texas goes, there is nothing there now. I can't recall the man's name now, but the whole collection has been sold off. I think they are all still air worthy. They just aren't in Paris.

Comment

One more thought. I'm real close to Breckenridge, Texas, and that's where Nelson Ezell's shop is. http://www.ezellaviation.com/ He is restoring Red Bulls P 38, which is going to take a while, and there is just no telling what is going to be there for maintainence and such. If you hit it lucky [call ahead] you might get to see Howard Pardue and his collection. Breckenridge is about 100 miles south of Wichita Falls, Tx which is not to far from Altus.

Comment

Doc Hisey is out in OKC with 'Miss A'. Down the road from Post I believe..

Comment

Tex-Fan, Wouldn't you know I just pulled out my "Big Iron - Breckenridge" T-shirt just the other day and said to myself... "I wonder where that is?" so I looked it up on mapquest.com... just over 3 hours south of Altus. Guess I'll be making that trip a few times while I'm there
                      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                      My Photos
                      My Ride

Comment

Stevo, you'll be going right thru Graham on your way to Bbreckenridge, let me know when you are making the trip, and I'll try to run over there with you.

Comment

"As far as Paris Texas goes, there is nothing there now. I can't recall the man's name now, but the whole collection has been sold off. I think they are all still air worthy. They just aren't in Paris."

Junior Burchnal, spelling may not be right, had a collection in the 70's in Paris Texas and would let people fly them for a fee off his sod airstrip. There was an article on his operation in Air Progress in the 70's.
                          P-51, Bearcat, P-38, B-17, Corsair?
                          The Bearcat was the one that won the 1964 Reno race with Mira Slovak flying.
                          Mike Smith of Johnson Kansas traded/sold his P-51 for the Bearcat and took the Bearcat to Reno several years and Mojave.

Comment

[QUOT]Mike Smith of Johnson Kansas traded/sold his P-51 for the Bearcat and took the Bearcat to Reno several years and Mojave.[/QUOTE]

And after that, Chub Smith bought the aircraft. He flew into a thunderstorm in 1978 and crashed fatally.

Comment

hey Stevo, this post was done by me, but i didn't notice until it was too lat that i was not logged in....Stevo, you'll be going right thru Graham on your way to Bbreckenridge, let me know when you are making the trip, and I'll try to run over there with you..... do send me a note when you come thru. be safe,,Tex-Fan

Comment

Working...
                              X