Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nellis 2004 Pictures Link

Originally posted by rpzo
    I agree with Bill and Tim; shoot what you like and carry a big Canon.

But Bill carries one of those little "black" cameras.

Also, thanks a lot Victor. I had no idea there was such a website called fencecheck.com. Now I get to waste even more time in front of the computer.

Comment

Ut ooooh Bill doesn't have a Canon.
      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I was taking the essence of Bill's message and combining it with the sarcasm of Tim's to come up with my own motto.
        Ut ooooh Bill doesn't have a Canon.
        He still takes some decent pictures anyway.

Comment

I was taking the essence of Bill's message and combining it with the sarcasm of Tim's to come up with my own motto.

He still takes some decent pictures anyway.
          He takes indecent photos? oh nevermind.

I remember when I first started lurking on this site I looked at photos taken by people like Wayne, Bill, Rick, Neal and a few others and thought I wish my photos looked like that. Ya know it's just like one of my old teachers use to say "It's either this kinda of a thing or it's that sort of a deal" so unless one of us can get a photo of a bead of sweat dripping off of Skip's forehead as Dago rounds the last pylon from the grandstand we'll never be completely satisified with what we do get, right!!!.

The begining of this thread didn't piss me off (although it might look that way) it took some of the fun away from shooting airplanes and posting my pics.
          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

so unless one of us can get a photo of a bead of sweat dripping off of Skip's forehead as Dago rounds the last pylon from the grandstand we'll never be completely satisified with what we do get, right!!!.
            Isn't that what photography is all about? It's about searching for that absolutely perfect shot that you can see in your minds eye and then trying to get the technology, timing, lighting, and every other variable that goes into a picture to cooperate. Every once in a while it all comes together...

Some guys hunt, some guys fish, some guys are out searching for that perfect wave, I want to get that shot of the sweat dripping off of Skip's forehead as Dago rounds the last pylon.

The begining of this thread didn't piss me off (although it might look that way) it took some of the fun away from shooting airplanes and posting my pics.
            Is this something along the lines of what we talked about in an e-mail exchange not to long ago?

Comment

Maybe some of you photos gurus chould teach a new guy behind the camera the ropes.(i might have a camera that is 1/4 of the camera you guys are useing)
              www.renosection3.com

Comment

Marl Kallio had a very good article on Pylon1.com a couple of years back -- maybe you guys could get him to exhume it... And Scott Germain had another excellent piece that I think is still on his site.

My best advice though is lots of film shot under lots of different conditions, accompanied by some careful reading of the great teachers, such as Ansel Adams, Galen Rowell, John Shaw, Michael Reichman, and on and on. Pay attention and you will be rewarded! Be aware though that doing it really well really consistently is a lot of work, and is not cheap, either.

Neal

Comment

Film?? What's that.

Seriously though, there is stuff all over the internet on photography. More and more though, it deals with digital only.

Comment

It really doesn't matter at all -- great photographs are great photographs! Most of the fundamental choices you have to make in doing it right are the same no matter what the medium. One downside of digital for many, though, is the instant feedback which in my mind is a two-edged sword. It gets awfully easy to substitute quantity for quality, and to keep shooting mindlessly in hopes of accidently getting it right eventually. Much better (but underrated these days) to understand what you're trying to do.

N

Comment

Section3Guy,

Stick to the fundamentals. Learn all you can about f/stops, shutter speeds, focal lengths, depth of field, light, etc. and how they relate to each other. Get yourself a camera that is completely manual. The biggest crutch for most people is to depend completely upon the camera to decide shutter speeds and apertures without understanding what the camera is doing.

...and take lots and lots of pictures.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                      X