Nut Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nut Tree

Well i never had the pleasure of flying in I only drove in with the parents when i was younger.I really remeber the choo choo! We never really had time to look around at the air port but i do remeber all the air plane stuff in the gift shop.(I've been a plane nut for as long as i can remeber) I wish i was older and had all the memorys that you guys go i am sad to hear it is gone
    www.renosection3.com

Comment

It's a sad fact that everthing is getting so homoginized, at least out here in the crowded Bay Area. A lot of unique, qwirky little strips have morphed into condo's and strip malls.
      Another of my favorites was Santa Cruz Skypark. Took a four plane formation into the strip years ago, and while we were rolling out, looked over to see the local lawn chair gallery holding up score cards. Cracked me up.
      (When a local tower controller, not long ago, rated a landing, the pilot claimed she was traumatized and threatened to sue. The controllers job was threatened. NO SENSE OF HUMOR).

Appreciate what you've got, while you've got it, it's only a matter of time before it's a Walmart

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
        Another of my favorites was Santa Cruz Skypark.

Shoot, for that matter anyone remember Sky Trails at Van Nuys?

Sigh......

Comment

What about the old Fremont airport and Skysailing airport oh and Morgan Hill airport. That going a few years back.

Comment

Or New Jerusalem (back when it had parallel runways), anybody know why they built it that way?

Paul

Comment

I spent the first eight years of my life in a house my dad built, with an A36 in the garage, at the end of Boeing Road, in Cameron Park, California. Well, first there was a Piper Pacer in the "garage" followed by a 180, then a 185, and finally the A36.

Regularly we would fly to the Nut Tree for brunch. In fact, my first ride in the A36 was to the Nut Tree. My dad's brother, Dave, and his family often flew out from San Jose in their 182 RGII and met us for brunch

I distinctly remember the train ride to the restaurant. It never got old, and I always wanted to ride in a blue car. It's funny to think that a number of other "air racing addicts" could have been on the same train with me

As strange as it sounds, I would be perfectly content dinning on the small loaves of Nut Tree bread and chocolate milk. To me, at that age, it was a well balanced meal.

I remember wandering through the gift shop. The models were always my favorite thing to look at, followed by the posters. Of the posters, only three stand out in my mind: The trail formation of P-38s, The B-17 as a bomb slices of its horizontal stabilizer, and Darryl Greenamyer's Bearcat.

And of course there was the toy shop. I don’t remember much detail about the inside, but I remember the animals that spelled out "TOYS". I always wondered why they could not make one for the "Y".

On a brisk night in October at the Nut Tree, I witnessed clear evidence to the earth’s rotation. As the night went on, I watched stars and Venus slowly glide behind the trees. I was probably the only one that was observing this continuous phenomenon. And it was at the Nut Tree that I met Chuck Yeager. I'm sure he would not remember, but I do.

Sometimes, when our day was over, we would form up with Dave for some formation flying, and maybe a little playing around. I was never a "cruise-from-point-A-to-point-B" guy, much more of a "cruise-from-point-A-to-point-B-at-tree-top-level" guy, so this activity was shear joy.

I no longer live in Cameron Park, the A36 has long since been sold, and I don’t eat bread and chocolate milk for breakfast anymore. The Nut Tree is gone now, and so is my Uncle. But the memories remain.

Blue skies DRP

WJP
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

I remember stopping at the Nut Tree many times while I was growing up. They had the best model display, and some really cool kits that couldn't be found anywhere else. I think my family flew in a few times, but mostly we stopped there for lunch. I seem to remember a B-25 that sat there in the early to mid '80s, but I could be wrong. I was sad to see it go. It was a neet place.

Will

Comment

it's interesting that you mention meeting people at Nut Tree. For me, the list includes: Lyle Shelton, Al Goss, and Wingman. Julie Clark is a regular there since she's pals with Duncan. She made an entrance nobody could forget at one of his hangar parties. Low pass at sunset and then taxied up to the hangar.

Comment

Nut Tree was the host to the local Rotary meetings. my boss used to drag me out there every time it was aviation oriented. I got to shake the hands of Neil Armstrong (who I met again at Reno years later), Jimmy Doolittle, James Stewart Chuck Yeager, Bud Anderson and Bob Hoover. Hoover did a version of his Mustang show there about 1980. It seemed like the Vacaville paper was always talking about someone famous visiting. Small town and not much else to do. As a teenager you either worked for Basic Foods Or the Nut Tree.
                    The B-25 was there in the mid-late 70's. Was in real ratty shape. Eventually went to England to be in "Hanover Street". I have pics if I could find them!
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                    X