Calendar Wallpaper Anyone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calendar Wallpaper Anyone ?

Hey I was begging for the calendar wallpaper back in May right here!!
    I would love to have it back!!!!
    Rachel

Here's one for the Chev Fans - hope it works
    Last edited by dineega; 02-04-2005, 07:40 PM.

Comment

long time lurker here...(don't really know enough to add anything but I enjoy reading...

anyway, I'd love a monthly air race wallpaper calender (and the Mach1 is cool with me too)...but one humble suggestion, keep the text on the picture to a minimum...I seem to end up with too many icons on my desktop and a 'cleaner' wallpaper is better...(sorry )

mike miller

Comment

Originally posted by dineega
        Hey I was begging for the calendar wallpaper back in May right here!!
        I would love to have it back!!!!
        Rachel

Here's one for the Chev Fans - hope it works
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...hevyathome.jpg
        Rachel, Good to see that you finally got to the new webserver! I did get your email a while back, several days after the move, indicating that you were still seeing nothing when you tried to get to the site. I meant to email you at that time to explain why that was happening..

<begin boring technical explanation of which I only half understand myself>

Websites are located by either their individual IP address on the net, or, in the case of our server, by their "name based" location on the IP address of our server.

This IP address typically will be "cached" by the DNS (Domain Name Server) used by your ISP (Internet Service Provider) such as AOL or comcast or whatever service provider you use.

Those DNS systems *should* query the rest of the world's DNS systems on a fairly regular basis to ensure that they have the most up-to-date information, since there are changes constantly going on.. From what I understand, the "standard" procedure is for the DNS system to follow the time TTL (Time To Live) format of those other DNS systems they query, where TTL means the time between refreshing of information on a particular DNS server..

So, let's say, I change the IP address of a server, which makes all the domains on that server now located at a new IP address, I change that information on the DNS system which is the "local phone book" for my particular server. Upstream of this, all other DNS systems would normally refresh their cache based on the TTL of the other DNS systems on the net..

In the case of smaller ISP's, this sometimes is not how they do it. Typically, it should be done at least once a day, some DNS systems, such as where aafo's located, refresh something like 5 times a day.

I think it's kind of resource intensive for smaller ISP's to refresh this cache so some of the smaller providers, who sometimes operate on a total bandwidth capacity that is several times less than some of us have with our cable connections as individuals! (I once had a DSL provider in Klamath Falls who was located in Medford, they ran ALL their dialup accounts and DSL subscribers in both Medford and K-Falls on ONE T-1 line! Total bandwidty, 1.5 up, 1.5 down... they sold me and other subscribers over half of that bandwidth.... let's say, it didn't work most of the time!.. must be nice to buy a six pack of beer and sell over 1000 cans from it!! Magic beer!!!)

Anyway, the end result is, Rachel puts in aafo.com to her browser, it goes to her ISP and the DNS system says... "hey, I know where that is" and sends her to the old IP address, which is a smoking hole in the wall at the datacenter and no longer a working machine.. Rachel sees a can't find page..

Once her ISP finally refreshes their DNS system's cache of IP addresses.. which is like getting a new phone book, by the way, Rachel FINALLY gets aimed at the right location..

A while back when we moved from our old server host to where we are now, Kraz was still seeing the old server several weeks after the move!

NNNEEEEEWWWAAAAYYYYY..... that's the shortest way I can splain it to the depth that I understand it, it's actually both more simple than how I explain it as well as being MUCH more complex than how I explain it at the same time.. (if you ever play with your computer's guts much, you'll know what I mean by the above nonsensical statement )</boring>

By the way, the above is not intended to make anyone think that I know more than I do know about the internet... I am, by no means, a "guru" on the subject....!

I know just about enough to get myself into a LOT of trouble with computers and just barely enough to get myself out, usually with MUCH time spent and even more very detailed help given by very generous persons who do, indeed, resemble the description of GURU....

LOL.. looking at the above mass of spew, it's amazing how certain perscription drugs can make one ramble on! I still have a chronic raging sore throat a lot of the time from the amount of burning that was done a few months back, so I'm completey addicted to pain killers.. (Rush, you're not alone buddy! ) and when I have to take an extra one on days where I'm more bothered by it than others, see what happens! My fingers just work so well, I can't stop myself....

God, as long as this message is, there's actually more information contained in it between the lines! Can you imagine that??

Hidden content? The ravings of a drug crazed loony?????

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Going back to thread post #1

Oh, I've meant to type this out since the first day of this thread..

To Bearfan1.... When I looked at my initial response to this thread, I realized that I did NOT type what I was thinking at the time, how nice it was of you to post up the calendar wallpaper that you put up and how much I enjoyed it...

Had ya put up an Chevy 4x4 version of it.. I might have just had to run it on my desk..

Bearfan1, you know I love ya man... so I know you didn't take offense but I did mean to apologize a long time ago for the omission and theft of fire on your post!!

See ya at Reno, I'll be there rooting for EVERYONE..

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I wish the color on the shot of our Chevy 4x4 was better. The photo doesn't do it justice.

But the main reason I'm here resurrecting this thread is it's the end of the month and I would LOVE to have new calendar wallpaper to greet me for March.
            PLEEEESE!!!!!! and thanx
            Rachel

Comment

I have done the best I could in light of my "day job" to at the very least provide a calendar with an Unlimited Air Racing theme from my archives (74-04) every month. I have one for March at http://airraceaddict.com. I kinda had some issue with work taking me out of town for a while for weeks at a time, so the explanation for lack of updates, and I'm getting ready to go to RNO for a week, leaving tomorrow. I'll be at Circus Circus, ask for Bill Clark. Leave a message with # as I will be spending a good part of my day at McCarren Airport. We are starting Horizon Air service RNO-LAX in Q400's on Sunday, roundtrips and they need a mechanic down there for the start-up. I'd like to find time to get out to Stead and see if anyone will let me poke around.
              Later, Bill ME PLEASE!
              Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Working...
              X