Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model builders- what are you working on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Model builders- what are you working on?

That is great looking but I am kind of stuck on Mustangs

Comment

Wow, that is a great looking Skyraider. I wish my modeling skills were that good.

Will

Comment

That is one beautiful detailing job a big high five for that one

Comment

I wish my modeling skills were that good as well.

I can't claim that is mine but I showed the photo hoping someone had knowledge of a larger scale version of this exact model so I can try my hands at it.

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
            I wish my modeling skills were that good as well.

I can't claim that is mine but I showed the photo hoping someone had knowledge of a larger scale version of this exact model so I can try my hands at it.
            The Midway Museum has a pretty large model like the one in your picture.
            http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA--...der/2005395/L/

Your dad bagged a MiG in a Skyraider, or in 577? If it was (Canasta) 577, then Lt. Clinton B. Johnson?

*Yeah that's right, I know how to Google.
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

He flew 577 during that mission which had more radios and was used as a relay.

It also had an ADF you could tune to hanoi hannah so her transmitter got pounded.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                I'm playing with the idea of attaching a Sea Fury wing to a Hawker Typhoon fuselage and seeing if I can build something that might be plausible. Looking at both the Sea Fury and the Typhoon, despite being very similar designs, the wing of the Typhoon is thicker and narrower. The Sea Fury on the other hand has a fast wing. Would a Typhoon be a fast unlimited? I don't think so with the stock wing, and the radiator/oil cooler hanging down below does give it a lot of frontal area. Still, it would be a different looking racer and might still be cool. Heck, I could get crazy and add a contra rotating prop off a Sea Fire. (Might be an interesting look)

I have to admit, that Skyraider racer is pretty cool

Will
                Better to get one of the Pacific Coast Models Tempests and work from that. The wing was very similar to the tempest and was a bit longer fuse as well I believe. AND a nicer tail. I wish they made it as a tempest II(radial)and not just the Tempest 5. But likely COULD be converted with Sea Fury front end and could we find a 1/32 scale R3350 for it? The Typhoon is really a LOT different than a Tempest or Sea fury and the thicker wing roots mounting for the wing would give you fits likely adapting the thinner wing. The Tempest was a very fast low altitude plane. Read up on it on the Tempest website.

Comment

I've gone in a different direction. How about a Yak3 with a griffon, 5 blade Rotol, and a turtledeck? I'm well into the build. To be honest, it looks pretty mean.

Will

Comment

Speaking of models, where can one find a large scale, good quality P-38 model to build and a Bell 205 helicopter model to build? I don't know who are the quality makers anymore.

Comment

Gunner7

Trumpeter makes a very nice 1/32 scale P-38. Close to $200 retail, but you can often find it online for a bit over half that. No idea about the Bell 205.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner7 View Post
                        Speaking of models, where can one find a large scale, good quality P-38 model to build and a Bell 205 helicopter model to build? I don't know who are the quality makers anymore.
                        Sometimes you can make the find by doing a specific search such as 1/32 scale P-38 lightning price(or seller). Surprising what might turn up when you add the "price or seller" to the search. Trying it on several different search engines can yield some good results. At times leaving off the scale will get results that don't come otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by deepsky View Post
                          I have heard of the radial mustang but have not seen anything about it, this came from my love of round powerd planes and the sleek lines of the P-51, matter of fact I had made a P-51 with 2 merlins mounted end to end with trycicle landing gear, but it looked more like a PC-9 than a racer, so I cut it up and started this project. I am going to change the vertical stabilizer, and reposision the horizontal stabilizers. prop blade, one wheele, and stabilizer were damaged by my son and I havn't repaired them yet.

Thanks Wayne, I'll give it a try!

Hey Ken, I also am a huge fan of the corsair, no other plane looks as good!!!!! what about the five blade prop on the F2G, was that a real mod. on the plane or your personnal touch? very cool looking!
                          Love the look of your plane. Two things tho: The wing needs to be as far forward as possible and the cockpit as far back as possible or almost so. Just amazing how much better a Mustang looks with a radial. Even an R2800 at 2500-2800 hp would be better than the Merlin. The 4360 seems a bit much for the airframe and a 3350 adds too much added diameter(drag)for the added hp and weight. Beautiful job on the engine cowl!

Comment

So, two years later, my Yak build is getting closer to being done. Its now evolved... I introduce the Yakstang, or is it a Mustyak? I'm not finished with it, but I made some good headway with it this weekend. It had several re designs as I've put it together.
                            Parts roughed in...

Stock wings

Hmm, stock Yak wings are slow, what else do I have sitting around?

The Sea Fury wings were a bit much, how about some D model wings?

Those don't look too bad. They need some work to mount however. Solution, cut the center out of the yak wings and fit it to the Mustang wings.

On stock d model main gear. (the wings aren't glued, just taped in place, sort of.)

Clearly I'm not done, but its been kinda fun kit bashing a Yak 3 with a P51D, with a Turtledeck for Stiletto, and a Supermarine SeaFire Rotol 5 blade mixed with some one off parts. I still need to form the intake along the top of the cowling, build the cockpit, actually attach the wings and make some strakes for them, assemble the prop, and paint it.

Will

Comment

Working...
                            X