Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model builders- what are you working on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Model builders- what are you working on?

Originally posted by Ronbo View Post
    After I get my model hydroplanes race ready for next season, I plan on starting work on my Thundertiger electric series aircraft. First will be Rare Bear (mid 90's scheme I hope), then September Fury (yellow wings), two mustangs as Strega and then 1979 Red Baron (actual contra rotating setup!). They are electric powered and I hope to do same mods as real aircraft and hope for 70mph range.
    I built this last year. It's an RC model,too.
    Attached Files

Comment

I will be starting soon on top flite's giant scale (1/5 or 1/7 can't recall at the moment) P-51. Going to use a DA-50 for power and I am going to modify it to look like voodoo (except for clipping the wings, the wing loading is bad enough already). NOT looking forward to duplicating the paint scheme but will look good when it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Race70 View Post
        I built this last year. It's an RC model,too.
        Very nice! I had thought of doing a GG project as well. Is that a GWS kit? Any specs on it? retracts, motor etc? What pilot and canopy did you use?
        Last edited by Ronbo; 10-06-2013, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	579681_10201350431396749_18288771_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	227418
          Very nice! I had thought of doing a GG project as well. Is that a GWS kit? Any specs on it? retracts, motor etc? What pilot and canopy did you use?
          Thanks! It is a Parkzone P-51 "Gunfighter". The original wingspan is 39". With the scale scale wing clip it is now 29.5". I installed retractable main gears and tail wheel. The motor is an Eflite power 10. The canopy was cut out of a Sig 7" canopy. The turtledeck is formed out of 3mm Depron foam. The Pilot is the stock pilot that comes with the kit. And of course the scoop was removed. I had Callie graphics to the sticker kit...it was like $25 or something. It was a fun project. And it's an adventure to fly every time. The extreme wing clip is not for the faint of heart!!!

The owner of my local hobby shop scratch built a giant scale model of "Voodoo" powered by a DA-50. He did an amazing job at recreating the paint scheme.

Dan
          Last edited by Race70; 10-06-2013, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Oh, and I'm scratch building a 46" wing Yak-11 "Czech Mate" this year! Just got the plans a couple days ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Race70 View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]20259[/ATTACH]

Thanks! It is a Parkzone P-51 "Gunfighter". The original wingspan is 39". With the scale scale wing clip it is now 29.5". I installed retractable main gears and tail wheel. The motor is an Eflite power 10. The canopy was cut out of a Sig 7" canopy. The turtledeck is formed out of 3mm Depron foam. The Pilot is the stock pilot that comes with the kit. And of course the scoop was removed. I had Callie graphics to the sticker kit...it was like $25 or something. It was a fun project. And it's an adventure to fly every time. The extreme wing clip is not for the faint of heart!!!

The owner of my local hobby shop scratch built a giant scale model of "Voodoo" powered by a DA-50. He did an amazing job at recreating the paint scheme.

Dan
              I think you had this featured on RC Groups? Ive been looking at what canopy to get and suitable sized pilots for these 4 planes I have. Callie Graphics, I recommend!

Comment

I think you had this featured on RC Groups? Ive been looking at what canopy to get and suitable sized pilots for these 4 planes I have. Callie Graphics, I recommend!
                Sometimes you can use the canopy that comes with the kit. Just turn it around backwards and cut it as needed or try the sig WWII Canopys... Probably the5" or 6" one for that scale. As for pilots... I'm not sure, they are tough I find in that scale. Yes I did have my "The Galloping Ghost" model on rcgroups.

Dan

Comment

Just finished a "repaint" of a testors P-51D as Merlin's Magic. This was a test for experimenting with foil. I am close to finishing my "what-if" AD-6XR Mk1. I also have Miss America, Contrails 1/48 Strega, High Planes 1/72 Red Baron 1978, and Miss Behavin' in progress... In my stash I have the High Planes Precious Metal 2002 which I would like to turn into the 2013 PM, a F4U-4 that will be the Bud Lite Super Corsair, a Tamiya 51 that will be Dago in the 2003 scheme, and the High Planes 1967 Smirnoff Bearcat kit!

Comment

Nice work and list CJAM!! My stash build list is Bardahl Special 1965 in 1/24 a WIF Griffon CRP racing Spitfire in 1/24, and possibly "HABU" in glorious 1/24 as well...cool stuff y'all!
                    Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

I'm replicating Bob Yancey's "Perestroika", my favorite racer other than the RB-51. (I plan to build a model of that one too, eventually!)

Here is a good friend's "Czech Mate" built from my plans. The Yak-11 makes a great flying model and this one is no exception.

Comment

Originally posted by xmh53wrench View Post
                        Nice work and list CJAM!! My stash build list is Bardahl Special 1965 in 1/24 a WIF Griffon CRP racing Spitfire in 1/24, and possibly "HABU" in glorious 1/24 as well...cool stuff y'all!
                        Thank you! Coming from you that means a lot!!! -I've watched your builds on LSP before. I'm excited to see the final result of your Tsunami and PM! Impressive stash too!

Comment

so what i am working on is i am starting my own model business where i use the magic of 3d printing to make conversion parts so you can turn any model kit in to a Reno unlimited air racer. so first up is voodoo in 1/48 scale then will be strega then dago red but i will cover all of the Reno air planes that have raced since 1963 and some airplanes will be there own model kit. and those will be miss Ashley 2 tsunami and the twin boom pond racer. i will do other scales but after i find out how well 1/48 sells.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARCLAW777 View Post
                            so what i am working on is i am starting my own model business where i use the magic of 3d printing to make conversion parts so you can turn any model kit in to a Reno unlimited air racer. so first up is voodoo in 1/48 scale then will be strega then dago red but i will cover all of the Reno air planes that have raced since 1963 and some airplanes will be there own model kit. and those will be miss Ashley 2 tsunami and the twin boom pond racer. i will do other scales but after i find out how well 1/48 sells.
                            You can count me in as a customer! Are you going to do decals as well?

Comment

for decals go to a company known as red Pegasus decals he makes decals for all air racers from 1/72 scale to 1/32 scale. i am working with him to provide references for decals for a lot of air planes.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARCLAW777 View Post
                                for decals go to a company known as red Pegasus decals he makes decals for all air racers from 1/72 scale to 1/32 scale. i am working with him to provide references for decals for a lot of air planes.
                                Should have known! I've worked with Keith before. Looking forward to see what you come up with!

Comment

Working...
                                X