How do you get into Air Racing????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get into Air Racing????

I am wondering if any of you know how you get into air racing? I know nothing about it, but I have loved aircraft my whole life. Are there any sites that you can direct me to that have good information on it or any bios I could read? Is there a specific route one can take to get into it? Do you have to own your own aircraft or are there teams? How does it all work. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

-Dave

Re: How do you get into Air Racing????

Dave, I think actually that question has been asked before and there might be some good answers buried in the forum's past messages. You can use the search feature to dig back and see what you might find.

If you manage to engage in a good dialoge with your question, would you please do yourself the favor of registering as a member of the forum? This way, you will not have to wait for one of us to read and approve your message, as all unregistered posts to into a review queue. They will usually be approved in a fairly short time but not always, since this is not the top priority in any of the moderator's or my daily schedule

It's fast, free and easy (sounds like a slogan ey) it'll do you no harm.. sign up and enjoy....

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

hi dave, as "tiger" destefani (an air racing legend) once said; "if you want to make a small fortune from air racing it's simple, you just start with a large one." it's costly, ya but as far as i am, and most others on this board, are concerned it's the greatest sport ever.

as far as being a pilot you do not need to bring your own plane. skip holm, one of the current greats of air racing, flies dago red, but doesn't own it.

here's a list of other air racing websites that i hope you'll find useful, don't be a stranger either

preciousmetalairracing.com

strega.com

dagored-airracing.com

rarebear.com

warbird.com

warbirdaeropress.com

airrace.org

i know there's more out there but that's all i can remember at the moment.
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Dave-
        A good start would be to narrow down what interests you the most.
        Do you you want to fly, crew, design, build, sponsor, promote, photograph, report, judge...You can do things that envolve ALL of air racing, or class specific. Unlimited, T-6, Sport, Bi-plane or Formula One....good web sites out there for info, join up here and pick field, we can point you in the right direction.
        Be warned, it is addicting.
        Keep Septembers open for vacation.. Paul

Comment

heres 4 more

voodooairracing.com

wildfireairracing.com

airrace.de

airraceaddict.com

Jarrod

Comment

Back when I was hanging around drag racing, Joe Amato said the way to go drag racing was to get a REAL good education, then get a really great job or create a real good bussiness, then make a ton of money, then at the same time convince your wife you need to spend it all on your racing habit, and you've got it made. Now I never went very far at all with the drag racing deal, [because I left out the making a ton of money part] and now that i'm older ,and no richer, I don't think I'll be air plane racing either. I wish you more luck than I had.
            P.S. If you get it going, please let me tag along with you.

Comment

Formula 1 is probably the cheapest entry point to air racing. Check this link for International Formula 1 information.

http//:www.if1airracing.com
              Bill Garnett
              InterstellarDust
              Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Dave-
                A good way to get the flavor, of air racing is to come up early, the week BEFORE the actual race weekend, when qualifying is taking place, and cruise the pits. Without the crowds, and the rush of the races, the atmosphere is usually more relaxed, and people will have more time to talk. Most arrivals come in a week early. (I believe they're charging now, for early pit passes, they didn't used to). Just respect the space of the guy's who are having problems, but even then, most crews will have somebody happy to explain whats going on. (If you've been there long enough, you realize the public is why we get to do this..)
                Take a lot of pictures, but it's always a good idea to ask before taking un-cowled shots, (that starts getting into "speed-secret" territory).
                If you get into the actual racing, decide whether you just want to race for the fun of it, race to be competetive, or race to win. That will decide how deep your pockets are going to have to be.
                FYI- if you want to race (in any class) this year, you'll need to attend the PRS (racing school) in June, so plan accordingly.
                ----------
                Paul

Comment

ya come up wednesday and go to the warlock pit after the days events and watch me get my hair cut, hahahahahaha

oy, this is gonna hurt
                  heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Hey Matt,

Haircut during the Warlock party, huh? Count me in! Have blender, will travel! (hopefully, this year we'll have a WORKING blender!)

3000 and 60, baby... 3000 and 60.

Comment

Originally posted by matt
                      oy, this is gonna hurt..
                      Matt-
                      It'll hurt LESS if you do it BEFORE the libations start......

Comment

wrong paul, if i do it after the libations start it won't hurt at all, lol, until morning that is, but i expect a headache then, lol.

who brought tequila last year anyway? i was a fire hazard! a stogey in one hand and 150 octane gas in the other, surprised the stuff didn't melt the cup...

oh no not a blender man, c'mon. i'm not a cowboy and you're not an indian, so stop trying to scalp me. lol
                        heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Matt-
                          I was thinking long term. Of coarse, properly anethetized, you can take pretty much anything....But if they're taking your ID picture, at swear-in, you probably don't want eyes bleeding into your checks, and REAL corn rows, plowed into your scalp, following you around for the next few years.
                          Just keep anything gas-powered, away from your head.
                          Hope to see you up there, if not you definately need to post before & after's... ...........Paul

Comment

ok i have to know. what is the deal with the hair cut?
                            I'll be at the worlock party...I want to know what to expect
                            Last years party was a good time but i dont remeber a stoggie and a cup of gas lol

www.renosection3.com

Comment

Pick a class, buy a plane, go to Pylon school in June, Pay the entry fee, qualify, and fly low, fast, and turn left.
                              Tom Campaqu 2002 T-6 Weiner

Comment

Working...
                              X