Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aviator

Chris,

My mistake, I thought I'd heard someone talk about the fact that he flew it that one time, like in the movie and that was it. I stand corrected.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lee
      Chris,

My mistake, I thought I'd heard someone talk about the fact that he flew it that one time, like in the movie and that was it. I stand corrected.

Jeff
      Hey Jeff, pretty common mistake, I think a lot of people get the H1 flights and the HK1 *flight* mixed up in the mindset..

It'll help you feel comfortable about Jim being gone if you think about the big soaring bird that was overhead doing patterns at his service. Coincidence?? I don't think so..

Guys with Jim's spirt don't ever really go away, flying just gets a heck of a lot easier for them...

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Great thread here....I must admit in the weeks before the release of the movie....I was filled with many thoughts and a big sense of sadness about what happened to Jim and his beautiful airplane. And so close to the airplane being the star of the movie...It just makes me shake my head. It's one of those things, If only if only...

John

Comment

Jim Wright's H-1B was a true masterpiece!
          Attached Files
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

It was the fastest aeroplane in 1935 I recall; a real thoroughbreed.

Is the Vultee P-66 Vanguard somehow a fighter version of it ?
            http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris300s
              I just saw the Howard Hughes movie Aviator last weekend. I know that they used a modified Bt-13, models and some CGI for the Hughes racer (because Jim Wright was killed before principle photography). However, there is about 20 seconds of aerial footage that doesn't look CGI or like a model. The plane is flying near a mountain range and does a 180 deg. skidding turn. Does anyone know (not think) if footage of the replica was used at all? It's possible that it was a large RC model but it looked great. I'd like to hear the inside story on that.

Thanks,
              Chris
              I'm down at one of the model conventions in southern california at the moment... Turns out the guy who was in charge of the model work for the Aviator is giving a presentation tomorow at the show (he owns Aero F/X I believe), a special effects company. Turns out that a Reno racer and well known modeler (Jason Somes, F1 - Alley Cat) was the pilot of the 340lb (yikes) Hughes H1 model for the movie filming... I was told there was a lot of CGI done in the movie. Jason also has his F1 at the show and is busy talking about air racing with visitors.

Michael

Comment

Aviator seems to be here on 28th of Jan. 2005.

Di Caprio looks sharp....like Howard Hughes did on numerous photos of him.

Comment

Most famous finnish actor here ( don't freak out ! ):

He is also quite sharp ! Movies started in 1973--last is appearing soon...same actor !

Comment

I saw it last nite.

Incredible life he had.

The HH-1 racer model was awesome. Hercules was also great when roaring past the crowds.

Did he really invent cantilever wing monoplane and flushrivets ?

I took my customer to see it. While after the movie we ate Sacher cake in coffee shop I found a furball under my piece of cake...I bet that happened to Howard too...it is gross. She got a quite a big "presentcard" from the establishment when I complained about the incident.

rgds,

Juke

Comment

Here is the best site for Howard Hughes and his planes:

Going through the links you will also find the crash site of the XF-11 twinengine that crashed on her maiden flight at the Beverly Hills area.

Here are excellent photos of him.

Comment

I also really enjoyed the movie and thought the CG graphics were great. My absolute favorite part was the HK-1 scenes. I thought that that spart was absolutely amazing and I will go see the film again just for that part.

Comment

Working...
                        X