Red Bull buys White Lightnin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Red Bull buys White Lightnin'

I don't see many garrish paint jobs on thier other aircraft. They may paint it back into wartime colors, or may be persuaded to leave it as lucky no. 13.

Let them decide, it's not OUR airplane.

Comment

I second that motion from KING. Go to that www.flyingbulls.com web site, those are some GOOD looking airplanes. Merry Christmas everyone, and happy new year from Texas.

Comment

I've been asked by a family member to help keep speculation to a minimum regarding this subject
        No problem. Speculation ended, even though it is entertaining to do so, with with no harm intended, of course. I wouldn't recommend anyone write RB about this without any official info to go by.

In fact, I'm glad that they will keep 'er flying, rather than let WL end up as a dormant museum queen.

Slightly off-topic, yet still RB related, there's a 6 page article at Popular mechanics about the Red Bull event at Reno 2004.

LINK:

Funny thing is, the author's text on the first page would make an uninformed reader think that the Red Bull event was the hottest thing there, and all the other races (including unlimiteds) were just ho-hum.....For instance:

Normally, they sit back and watch vintage planes fly long, polite ovals in races that permit ample time for yawning. I sat in the middle of the bleachers to watch the Red Bull event, where the reaction was electric
        Frankly, my view was just the opposite of his. Have you ever yawned during a heat or championship race? Sometimes I'm so excited, I have to remind myself to breath!

The RB event was fun, but gimme my unlimiteds, please!

On the plus side, Kirby Chambliss took the author for a ride around the RB course, and he gives a pretty good first-hand description of it for us bleacher-warmers...

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe

I thank my lucky stars that I got to see her fly as Lefty's baby (fond memories of watching him doing one-prop-feathered rolls and passes between races in the 80's, in defiance of the stories of the p-38's poor single engine capabilities).

Lefty, Thanks for the wonderful memories. Bless you.

AMEN to that. I first saw Lefty and White Lightinin' in the early 70s- I'm guessing maybe 1973 or thereabouts- at the annual airshow in San Marcos, TX. Back in those days it was held every year (not just years when money wasn't too tight) and it seemed like the old warbirds could be heard flying in and out for DAYS (probably just my memory as a kid, the show was a 2-day affair over a weekend). These days, about the only thing I ever see is the B-25 "Yellow Rose" rumbling out for an airshow appointment somewhere. I still nearly break my ankles getting outside fast enough when I hear those radials rumbling. But it was Lefty and White Lightnin' that first got me interested in airplanes, machinery, and engineering in general. Could be said that was what shaped my future career, even though I'm not in the aerospace industry I did follow through on becoming an engineer so I could build "neat stuff" even 1/10th as cool as a P-38.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe

I thank my lucky stars that I got to see her fly as Lefty's baby (fond memories of watching him doing one-prop-feathered rolls and passes between races in the 80's, in defiance of the stories of the p-38's poor single engine capabilities).

Lefty, Thanks for the wonderful memories. Bless you.

AMEN to that. I first saw Lefty and White Lightinin' in the early 70s- I'm guessing maybe 1973 or thereabouts- at the annual airshow in San Marcos, TX. Back in those days it was held every year (not just years when money wasn't too tight) and it seemed like the old warbirds could be heard flying in and out for DAYS (probably just my memory as a kid, the show was a 2-day affair over a weekend). These days, about the only thing I ever see is the B-25 "Yellow Rose" rumbling out for an airshow appointment somewhere. I still nearly break my ankles getting outside fast enough when I hear those radials rumbling. But it was Lefty and White Lightnin' that first got me interested in airplanes, machinery, and engineering in general. Could be said that was what shaped my future career, even though I'm not in the aerospace industry I did follow through on becoming an engineer so I could build "neat stuff" even 1/10th as cool as a P-38.

Comment

Originally posted by tex-fan
              I second that motion from KING. Go to that www.flyingbulls.com web site, those are some GOOD looking airplanes. Merry Christmas everyone, and happy new year from Texas.
              Yeah John, but did you catch the fact that their aircraft of note are NOT in the good ol' US of A? Like they are in Germany? Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm? Not trying to incite anything here Wayne, just an observation. I just hope they keep her here in the States. I would love to see them rebuild it and race under their sponsorship, and it could happen, but............ I'm not holding my breath. And like King says, it's their airplane. Maybe all we can hope for is that White Lightning will continue flying, wherever. And ditto to everyone on the Merry Christmas. At least we still have Strega in our stocking. Thanks Tiger. You made my Christmas complete.
              All the best for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
              Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

The CHAMPLIN P-38 was sold to him by CECIL HARP. He isnt as well known to the "new" warbird fan but he owned several warbirds in the 70's and early 80's. You couldnt meet a nicer person CECIL

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
                  Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm? Not trying to incite anything here Wayne, just an observation. I just hope they keep her here in the States.
                  Understood Addicted one

I'm not sure if the family is aware that all the major magazines are printing this up as gospel and a done deal.. I just got my copy of Warbirds International and they also have this story, in relatively deep detail.. I suspect, someone within the chain of events "leaked" the info but, my information, at this point is, this is not an "inked" deal yet and that too much publicity could adversely effect the deal...

By asking what I did I'm honoring a request by a friend, not being a "board nazi"...

I do promise the story, in detail, from the family, as soon as I can get it.

Thanks,
                  Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

lol wayne is there anyone in air racing you dont know??

keep up the good work...let us know when you can
                    www.renosection3.com

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                      Understood Addicted one
                      By asking what I did I'm honoring a request by a friend, not being a "board nazi"...
                      Thanks,
                      Wayne
                      Hey Wayne, no problem, point taken. I'll be quiet now Of course that only holds unless I think of something important in my own mind to say, HAH!
                      Yer welcome,
                      Bill
                      Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

.......so Wayners,

....does "being a board nazi" mean.....

......ya tie yer shoes in litte nazi's?.....

Glad to see ya coming to speed!
                        Mayday51
                        Jim Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by Section3guy
                          lol wayne is there anyone in air racing you dont know??

keep up the good work...let us know when you can
                          LOL.. yes, there are quite a few people I don't know

I consider myself one of the luckiest people on the planet however, due to the fact that by quirk of fate, I've met and become friends with some of the neatest people, air racers, AND fans AND race administrators..

I hope I never come off like a "name dropper" when I mention things like "the family" in the above referenced message. I got to know one of the family quite well via many phone conversations when I agreed to help them spread the word about their cause in trying to keep the airplane in tha family and as Race 13... unfortunately, it would appear, I did not do a very good job in that publicizing, since they did not ever really get off the ground with the effort.

It was and would be a really tough hill to climb though, with the amount of money that was needed to do a really first class resto on WL...

Anyway...

I am a lucky guy who was a fan in the stands since I was in my twenties... and a neighborhood "kid at the airport fence" prior to that when I was growing up in the area. Due to moving a lot and changing schools a lot when I was a kid I never had many long term friends throughout my life.... until now and I feel blessed now. Not only can I count a great many visitors to this board as FRIENDS, again, I've made a few really good friends who are racers and crews of racers...

And I am, indeed blessed... I will post a new thread on the main board menu in a minute to tell ya why further..

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

my father sylvan g. lair and vernon e. thorpe originally owned n22y and sold itto lefty in i believe 62-63. my dad is who the n number was issued to and he is still alive at 87 as we live here in yukon okla together. would like to hear from folks about this. when they had it it was polished alum.

Comment

Looking at the redbull website it mentions that "white lighting" will be stationed at Hanger 7. Thats in Germany. Maybe they can hold out shipping her to Germany until the end of Sept 06'. One last Hurrah??? One can only hope....

Comment

Found this in the "Remember the time" thread posted by Magnum_440...

Thought it might be at home here too...

Comment

Working...
                                X