Red Bull buys White Lightnin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bull buys White Lightnin'

The January issue of Aeroplane says Lefty Gardner's White Lightnin has been sold to Red Bull Flyers. It says the P38 has been moved to Breckenridge to be rebuilt by Nelson Ezell.

I'm glad to hear it's being rebuilt, but don't look forward to a Red Bull paint job. Just wouldn't be the same.

Re: Red Bull buys White Lightnin'

I don't think they could paint it anything else, even for sponsorship.
    Jarrod

Comment

I hope they have enough class to keep it White Lightnin'. I'm sad, and I sorry the Gardners had to give up on the project.
      I was fortunate to see her fly.

Comment

What a Public Realations Coup if RED BULL returned her to
        Reno as White Llightning with Lefty and Son haneling the
        PIC duties.
        THABNKS RED BULL FOR YOUR COMITTMENT TO OUR AIR
        RACE HERITAGE BY YOUR EFFORTS IN PUTTING THIS
        CLASSIC BACK IN THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe
          The January issue of Aeroplane says Lefty Gardner's White Lightnin has been sold to Red Bull Flyers. It says the P38 has been moved to Breckenridge to be rebuilt by Nelson Ezell.

I'm glad to hear it's being rebuilt, but don't look forward to a Red Bull paint job. Just wouldn't be the same.
          Well, this is sad in one way and good in another. The chances that Ladd would have ever been able to pull off gathering the approx. cool million that he estimated it would cost to get the airplane flyable again were pretty slim. That, and anything they could get out of the airplane was pretty much all that was left of anything that might be considered "gravy" for his mom and dad from a lifetime of self-employment and no pension plan.

When I spoke with Lefty briefly in 2003, the way he asked me if I thought the website could gather that kind of money and my answer that I had no idea, coupled with the "I thought so" look on his face, told me that it was probably only a matter of time before they just had to sell her.

It truly is sad in that I would have loved for Ladd to do what he dreamed of doing with her, that being, following in his dad's footsteps. Ladd is a great guy, obviously cut from the right cloth, and a chip off his dad's shoulder... literally...

If you haven't already, I'd strongly suggest reading the interview that I did with Ladd almost two years ago now..
          CLICK HERE FOR INTERVIEW

It's really an up close, personal look at a unique man and his son along with a harrowing experience that nearly cost the son his life and the family their treasured airplane..

I take NO credit for the content of the interview, I sat back and listened to Ladd recount the story several times before I finally managed to get a recorder on and tape it.

If Ladd had been of the same generation as his dad, he'd have terrorized the guys on the other side during WWII, as did his beloved father, Marvin "Lefty" Gardner....

Ladd, if you read this, I'm truly sorry that it did not work, I wish I could have done more for you... At least she'll see the air again and probably in pristine condition, hopefully, always as "White Lightnin"....

I'm bummed and elated at the same time...

I REALLY feel sorry for Ladd, I wish you could have heard the excitement in his voice every time he talked about the airplane, flying in it with his dad and, finally, flying it for himself..

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

well i prayed for white lightin to fly again... i guess i got what i prayed for....what i ment was white lightin and leftey....as a team again ...any one think the guy upstairs will take my retraction serioues?
            www.renosection3.com

Comment

i contacted red bull and asked a few questions...I'll probably get a standerd response.Some thing like thanks for writing red bull bla bla bla if not I'll let you guys know
              www.renosection3.com

Comment

Doesn't 'White Lightnin' give you wings too?

Maybe a new Red Bull product?

I sincerely hope that Red Bull understands and respects the history of that airplane. If were lucky they will restore it to the way that Lefty raced it and let Ladd fly it to airshows for all to see.

Cheers,

Rick
                Attached Files

Comment

i still want to see a return of sky ranger, lol
                  heh heh alriiiight

Comment

My screensaver is a P-38 slideshow, and has a couple of White Lightnin' pics on it. Every time I walk past the computer room there seems to be a W.L. pic looking at me, and I keep apologizing to it. I feel bad that I didn't do more earlier.
                    If Santa is listening, please tell the Red Bull people to treat this wonderful piece of history, and the Gardeners, with the respect they deserve.

Comment

Ah well. I'd have to say "Farewell White Lightnin". I can't see Red Bull keeping the same paint and name, since they are into self-promotion of their products.

The best I am hoping for is that they race it under any name/paint, instead of turning it into a flying billboard of some sort for airshow display purposes.

I thank my lucky stars that I got to see her fly as Lefty's baby (fond memories of watching him doing one-prop-feathered rolls and passes between races in the 80's, in defiance of the stories of the p-38's poor single engine capabilities).

Lefty, Thanks for the wonderful memories. Bless you.

Comment

Hummn... I'm in a tough position here.. I've been asked by a family member to help keep speculation to a minimum regarding this subject, yet, by writing this message, it opens up even more speculation..

Can I ask that those of you who read this wait up a bit on writing to Red Bull directly about this, OK?

Folks who sort of live in the public eye have to take care of family business just like the rest of us, having to do it with the spotlight on you might make things more difficult and less advantagious at times..

I'll try to get something "official" after a bit but for now, would you guyz honor the request to "voluntairly" kill this thread??

Thanks in advance!
                        Wayne
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                          "voluntairly" kill this thread??
                          Voluntarily killing is a Type A felony in Washington State....so if you're going to do it, do it in a state that has more lenient laws.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                            Voluntarily killing is a Type A felony in Washington State....so if you're going to do it, do it in a state that has more lenient laws.
                            OMG!!! that sounds serious!

Let's see though, the server is in Texas, the company renting it is an Oregon company and the guy who runs the server is currently straddling the line, being a part owner of a home in Oregon and renting an office/apartment in Washington...

Do you think I'm gonna have to bring in Johnny Cochren on this or can you think of anyone else who knows more about the law

Wayne "I'm not a perp" Saager
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

So often this board and others bemoan the lack of financial support for an industry -- a sport -- that we all love. Now comes another benefactor, not unlike Brietling, who provides funds to support one of our most cherished warbirds. Red Bull is operating a Lockheed Constellation in Europe and it does have a Red Bull Logo on it, but it does not have the garrish paint you might find on an unlimited acro plane. Fear not and take heart in the fact the Race 13 will fly again, and be in good hands! Peas
                              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Working...
                              X