aerodynamic question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aerodynamic question

i had a long standing theory about the rounded dges and the drag they created that was finally confirmed for me this last year when i looked at precious metals' rudder and found that oil had managed to flow almost half way up the curve of the rudder.

the rounded edge on the bottom of the p-51 rudder. why has noone ever made a "fillet" to make that a straight edge?
    heh heh alriiiight

Re: aerodynamic question

I wonder how many mphs will a Mustang loose with that little flaw ? Not too many I figure....2-3 perhaps ?
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

well see juke, the amount of cash this mod would need isn't great, especially in comparison with some of the other mods done to the airplane. so, gaining 2-3 mph (which looks like 2-3 mph could make the difference in the top of the gold next year if everyone lasts) is alot of gain for not much cash.
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

I agree with you Matt; a small modification could bring a smoother flow separation into that rear section of the kite.

Here is the biggest Mustang in Finland.

Last edited by First time Juke; 12-19-2004, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Juke, I clicked your link, and got this:

"Sorry but you are not authorized to view or download this Attachment"

Comment

Well I cannot say what is wrong then, but there is a 1/5 scale Top Flite kitplane in the pic. I am a memeber at Lennokit.net ( models.net in english ). Maybe there is a limited access to pics then. Now it is on a US server.

Here is the pic and link http://img25.exs.cx/img25/9303/ylhlt9pu.jpg

Comment

found that oil had managed to flow almost half way up the curve of the rudder
              Not knowing much about Giffon engines, but is the engine supposed to be leaking oil or is it residue from servicing?

Comment

eric, precious metal leaks like a sieve. nothing really wrong with the engine, it just dumps oil almost as bad as the bear.
                heh heh alriiiight

Comment

found that oil had managed to flow almost half way up the curve of the rudder

This makes me curious as to when the oil did this. Did it happen at speed, or during approach when the plane is flying nose-high, and airflows are different. I think that would have to be determined before any airframe mod decisions were made. Time to stick some yard tufts to the tail feathers and take some air-to-air photos?

eric, precious metal leaks like a sieve. nothing really wrong with the engine, it just dumps oil almost as bad as the bear.
                  heh heh.....Reminds me of an old Harley....When you don't see it leaking oil, then you'd better add some, because you are out of oil.

Comment

Thanks for the info Matt. Mucho appreciateo!

Comment

good point air dog, i think air-air pics would be an excellent idea.

not a problem eric, i spent alot of time with mike g under that wing trying to keep her clean. not complaining of course
                      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Originally posted by matt
                        Sounds like a Pratt to me HAH!
                        Bill
                        Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by matt
                          But the point here, matt, is.....it SHOULDN'T leak like a sieve. A V-12 isn't like a radial. No 'external' lubrication. Unless it's snotting out of a breather valve, any leaking is not a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                            But the point here, matt, is.....it SHOULDN'T leak like a sieve. A V-12 isn't like a radial. No 'external' lubrication. Unless it's snotting out of a breather valve, any leaking is not a good sign.
                            Brad, that WAS my point. Are you reading my mind again? Are you at work or at home?
                            Bill
                            Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
                              [B]Brad, that WAS my point. Are you reading my mind again?

I ALWAYS read your mind, dude. Like right now, for instance. You're thinking how great it is that Strega is coming back, and secretly thanking Santa for making your Christmas wish come true.

Am I right, or what????

Comment

Working...
                              X