Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phew! Dodged the bullet... Server down for a few hours...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phew! Dodged the bullet... Server down for a few hours...

PHEW!!!!!!!!! BIG TIME!!!!!!!!! At about 7:00AM pacific, as far as I can tell (time) the server puked.... I did not notice it till about 9:20 or so, put in a trouble ticket to the server farm for a reboot thinking something had hung.. watched with increasing dread as the damn messages following the process esclated up to the supervisor and then to the hardware department to find out what was wrong.. bad bad bad! Or could have been.. then I saw the dreaded "swapping server" message

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

The box we're on at the farm is a "blade" and only fits in the slot that it's in and they no longer offer this model... so a swap might well have meant, swap to a completely different area in the farm, meaning, new IP addresses, much time lost, probably most messages from months back lost...

KUDOS to the staff at our host.. Within two hours twenty minutes, they were able to swap the old system drive to a new box (apparantly same type) and she came back on line with all bells and whistles working..

No data loss.... phew!!!!!!!!

Now... back to work!! Lots of changes happening with the main client that keeps us afloat... got to keep them happy!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Phew! Dodged the bullet... Server down for a few hours...

lol wayne i was trying to log in at that time.... i had faith i was going thru with draws for a few hours thou
    www.renosection3.com

Comment

Originally posted by Section3guy
      lol wayne i was trying to log in at that time.... i had faith i was going thru with draws for a few hours thou
      Ohhhh man, I don't know if you guys can imagine what it feels like when your server is down! It's bad enough having aafo.com down, there are something over 2,200 unique daily visitors (average) and upwards of 3,000 or more daily "visits" (unique's are visitors with different IP addresses and assumed to be different peeps, visits are both unique and and same IP revisits lumped together) so at any given time, there are a bunch of peeps logged on at once to just this website...

The kicker though is, knowing that people who rent space here are also down... now we're talking business and that's bad bad bad.. couple that with the fact that one fellow had JUST put out a news release and really needed his stuff visible..

I was truly sick... Special thanks to Cobra for loaning me his server, the host fixed this one before I could try to get it working on his box so I wound up not needing it but I'll tell you, it's a true friend who gives you the keys to his server!

Love ya like a brother Markster!! Got yer six any time you need it!

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Not a problem buddy - keep the "keys" handy, you never know when you might just need 'em .

Glad to see it was just a temporary system outage - and no data was lost (must remember to do a backup this weekend on my server too).
        Mark K....

Comment

That would be about the time I logged in for my lurking session... hmm site not found....oh, well lets go see what's happening over in Rare Bear's world....nothin' !!!! OH NO !!!!!! I'm thinking that aafo has gone the way of thousands of other dot commers......

Whew, glad I was wrong...
          the other Wayne................

Comment

Working...
          X