Strega Questions: Can It Be True??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strega Questions: Can It Be True??

This is truly better than any of that crap that my family will get me for Christmas. This could be the best present ever. Thanks Tiger!

Seriously, I am so glad to hear about this.

Awesome!

Bill
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
      This is truly better than any of that crap that my family will get me for Christmas. This could be the best present ever. Thanks Tiger!

Seriously, I am so glad to hear about this.

Awesome!

Bill
      Ummn... Bill, does this mean that I don't have to send you your Christmas present??

Oh yea... PS... Tige said he'd do Vegas if he was invited.. Can just about guarantee he'd be invited..

Party's getting bigger and bigger down there!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

No Wayne, you still do have to send me a Christmas present. I just hope I get it in 2004 (wink).

Hasn't Tiger been on the invite list for Nellis each year?

Bill
        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Hey Wayne,

Like everyone else, this is the best news of the year. I have heart and loyalty towards Sept. Fury but was a Strega fan first and foremost. Maybe 86'd from the show in '05........

Thanks, Will

Comment

Also, Strega still has its web-site. Go to: www. strega.com and drop them a line in the "Contact us" link...

I'm sure they would be happy and proud to hear from all of you

WRL

Comment

Ever since Tiger told me "that would have been fun" when I saw him just after the Gold race I somehow knew something was going to happen. I only went up for the one day this year, but it was definitely one of the single most fun days of the year, even if I half froze to death even with my ski jacket. Got to do it again...My band's going to have to get a sub if we gig that day.

John

Comment

well, I guarantee that the Strega site hasn't been updated in a long time. Guess I'll have to call/email Tiger and see what he wants done there. Might be a bit tough from the wrong coast, but for Tige, it's worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilnit
                  Also, Strega still has its web-site. Go to: www. strega.com and drop them a line in the "Contact us" link...

I'm sure they would be happy and proud to hear from all of you

WRL
                  Yep they do, actually, that bugger is on this server. A few years ago, they were having tons of problems with their web host and since it costs no more to have extra websites on my server (at least, until it begins to become sluggish, not noted yet, thank god) I offered them space here and they've been chugging along since..

I don't know if Cindy is still doing the work on it or not but it should all still work.

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by wardog
                    well, I guarantee that the Strega site hasn't been updated in a long time. Guess I'll have to call/email Tiger and see what he wants done there. Might be a bit tough from the wrong coast, but for Tige, it's worth it!
                    Ahh.. Cindy, I should learn to read all the posts before responding to one.. If you'd like, with Tiger's approval, we can take over the job for you?

I can only speak for myself but it's due for a "facelift" and I think Cobra's a bit bored at times... and he does have "the touch" when it comes to graphic design... (gonna have to break that boy's arms one of these days I am!)

Lemme know and I'll see what Tiger says if you're into the swap....

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OhBoyOhBoyOhBoy!
                      A little bird in the #86 pit told me he'd be back, along with a lot of other "truth". I'm glad this one panned out!
                      May the engine gods shine upon them and give the fans and racers a real RACE!!
                      Darn, goosebumps again...

Leo
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Wayne,
                        That would be great if Tige is open to the idea. I would love to keep on with it, but from out here, I just can't give it the due time and effort that it deserves. Sucks being on the east coast!
                        If we go that route, feel free to use any of the material that's there. I know the pictures are old, but it's a starting point.
                        I'd love to go to Shafter and take new picts, but it's an awful long drive these days
                        Freezing and wishing I was in sunny CA....
                        Cindy

Comment

This is certainly merry news. I remember the rumors of Tiger selling the farm for a large chunk of $$$ before Reno 2004, and then word that Czech Mate had decided to make the call. I wondered if Strega's return would be far behind. I am curious why he did not parcel off some of the farm earlier to get some money for Strega, but it sounds like he cashed in at just the right time!

Snip: "Will Roush's Mustang be the second one? I wonder if Roush is bringing his NASCAR sponsorship to Reno? Could this be the start of big sponsorship and large scale coverage for air racing?"

A few years back at Oshkosh they had a question/answer session with Jack Roush and Mark Martin (among other Ford drivers) at the Theater in the Woods. I made sure I got M.C. Alan Bestwick's attention to get my question in.

I posed the question to Jack and Mark, "Jack, It is well known that you are into Racing and Mustangs, and that many of the teams at the Reno Air Races air using your cylinder heads in their P-51's. You have also talked this evening about what a great pilot Mark has become, with a natural ability in the cockpit. How long will it be before we see a Roush owned airplane at the Reno Air Races with Mark at the controls"

The crowd went nuts, and Jack and Mark just laughed. Jack replied that he loves those airplanes too much to race them. He stated that in automobile racing he approaches every race knowing the car is a disposable tool to victory, and that you must be willing to sacrifice it to win. He said he could never treat any of his planes that way, they are simply too important to him to do that.

Mark just grinned and said, "I may be willing to race 42 other guys door to door at 200 miles an hour, but I am not crazy. Those guys are on a level of skill and guts that far exceeds me"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                            I think Cobra's a bit bored at times... and he does have "the touch" when it comes to graphic design... (gonna have to break that boy's arms one of these days I am!)
                            I can help out - not a problem.

Yeah, I was bored, so I decided to rescan all of my photos, starting from back from '92. New scanner does a much better job at scanning negatives (the auto dust correction & grain management system isn't perfect, but really makes it a lot easier) but still doesn't get the color quite right, so a lot of post processing is required. Just another long term project I decided was time to start on - now I just need to be able to stop to do other stuff (too much fun).
                            Mark K....

Comment

Cobra - Wardog... I'll contact Tiger and see what he'd like to do. If he's got someone to handle it, I can set him up with on-line order processing to sell his wares also (the webstore thing) It's so darn hard to get the right size shirts by the time a lot of people can get to Reno (they used to always be out of my size by the time Sunday rolled around and I got my one day at the races in, back in the old days) it's really cool for fans to be able to get their "stuff" early... that way they can wear it on the airplane out to Reno too!!

It'd be fun to dig into Tiger's site a bit and do some updates on the stats and story stuff.. give whatever sponsors he might have some extra exposure etc...

Roush participation speculation: I got NO indication from Tiger that Jack was thinking about being a second airplane or offering any direct "support" as in "sponsorship" I probably should have used the word "supplier" for his involvement with Tiger's effort. As far as I know, he is doing some of the engine parts, "internal" is how Tiger put it.

Because of the nature of the story, I didn't go into a lot of depth with this installment. As we get along with this, I'd like aafo to talk with Sparrow, LD, Tiger again in depth, as well as anyone else involved with it all.. God, I'd LOVE to be able to have a call in Q&A thing with live phone stuff done on the web... not sure what would be involved, probably more than we can handle for a while but maybe we can do some of the Warbird Talk Radio segments again with some mailed in questions to the subjects on the phone.. maybe some conference calls to liven it up a bit..

Lots of stuff coming, Mr. Publisher/Editor has to get his strength back up to match his imagination and the energy level of his buddy and partner in crime, Cobra so's that we can get this stuff going again..

I'm excited about this website and reporting on air racing again, more realistic than I was when I first started out but truly excited again. We can do a LOT more with a website than any ink and paper publication can, and we always need to remember to play to the strong points of the net.. things like audio and video are a prime example of what we can do and magazines can't do. We all can write stories, if we write long one's on the net, usually, anything beyond the first page doesn't get read.. Putting interview audio out as mp3 files and the visitors can just put it on CD and play it any time they want...

Gordon Boman Jones has told me about six times how to make a really cool mixer for phone audio that cleans it up nicely as well as increases the quality of the sound.. much like a radio station uses when they do phone interviews... and it's cheap.. problem is, he's an electronics engineer and something of a bit of a genius at it... so his descriptions of how to do it usually leave me going ..... easy... yea.....right... HELP!!

Gotta run pay the bills, work is beconing me!!

Wayner
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Remember Jack Roush makes the cylinder heads most racers use on Merlins
                                Actually, this is not the case. While Roush has done some repair work on racing cylinder heads, most are built or rebuilt by the handful of Merlin builders still in the business. In fact, I know of only one head on one racer which was originally built up by Roush's shop.

Comment

Working...
                                X