Why the Bear????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Bear????

Today I was pondering this question. Now, I know that I will probaly get some flak from this, but I cannot understand why. I love the BEAR personally, but I want to know why everyone else loves her so much. Ever since I have been going to Reno, she has always been the one I have set my hopes on. As far as all of the entries goes, I love Mustangs, Sea Furies, and Yaks. We all know that there is nothing else in world like the sound of a 500 mph Merlin, but again, why the BEAR. I don't want to step on anybodies toes, but it seems that there are not very many fans of DAGO. I now that there are, but to me, not to many. Do people like the BEAR because of her long history? Because every year there seem to be gremlins that make people wonder if she will race that year, and once they work out all the gremlins, she is rounding the pylons? Is it because people from all over that donate money keep her flying? I really don't know why I like her so much to tell you the truth. I am tickled pink to see all of the entrants fly. I love them all; FURIES, MUSTANGS, all of them. So why do I root for the BEAR?

When I first started going to Reno is when the BEAR had the three blader. And let me tell you, next to a 500 mph Merlin, the sound of the BEAR pushin it to the max, especially with the 3 blader, brings many goose bumps to my skin.

I was just wondering. Let me know why everyone loves the BEAR. I am interested in hearing what you have to say.

Thanks
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Re: Why the Bear????

For me, it's been the underdog aspect of Rare Bear and I'm not just considering the recent years. Lyle Shelton started with just the passion and turned a Bearcat wreck into a racer. And most years, he competed without a large wallet. Over the many years, he developed a formidable racer and has tasted victory, but there have as many "down" years; years when the airplane didn't race at all.
    Many years ago (if I recall correctly) Lyle named her "Phoenix" (before becoming known as Rare Bear). And like the fabled Phoenix, she's risen yet again (and again), sometimes at the last minute.
    I admire Terry Bland's commitment to Dago Red, but much credit must go to Lyle Shelton for creating success, time and time again, on a shoestring.
    P.S. That's also why I don't root for the Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58
      I love the BEAR personally, but I want to know why everyone else loves her so much.
      Simply just because.... ITS THE BEAR!!!!!

Seriously though, I am a second generation Air Race fan, and for the life of me, I can't remember a time when my elders, who introduced me to "The BEAR", didn't pull for her to win the championship. Kinda was brought up a BEAR fan I guess. It's hard not to pull for not only such a great Plane, but also an outstanding Crew, Pilot, and Owner.

I agree about the 3 blader. Nothing like hearing the Thunder coming down the valley of speed. It's kinda sad to think that we may not to get to hear that live and in person anymore with the 4 blader on now. But if it helps the BEAR to beat that pesky Mustang again, then I am all for it!!

Nick

Comment

Why The Bear? When I first started going to the Air Races the thing I remember the most watching Lyle Shelton running ballz out! Weather it was a Wing or Mayday the guy ran as hard and most times past that every race! That type of desire to be out in front was what did it for me. It was Hell or High Water everytime he took to the sky and ever since I have been a fan and always will be! When the 3 Blade was put on it was just icing on the cake. When The Bear is rounding the pylons it looks like the biggest, baddest hombre out there! Long Live Rare Bear!!

Comment

Everybody loves the underdog. Especially after a win. Walk by Dago's pit and everything is shiny and perfect. I stared at dago for half an hour looking for a chip in the paint and how many did I see....1. then you walk by the bear's pit, trailer with fading paint, rusting here and there. The bear looking pretty pounded as well, and soaked front to back in oil. Plus it was hiding in the hanger most of the time. So definenitly the underdog of the bunch.

Comment

I have always loved the Bear, but for me it also has a lot to do with the people.
            Mr Shelton, Mr Penney, Sharon Coates, the crew that won't quit. It's the stuff of champions. Just watch them for half an hour and you'll be hooked. The Bear people love their Bear, even when they hate her!
            I respect Dago, but I LOVE the Bear!!

While many count the days til Christmas, I count only the days til Reno!
            cheers

Comment

not to be controversial, but not EVERYONE loves the Bear. I like the plane and the few members of the crew I've met over the years, but that's not the plane I cheer for.
              Personally, the think the reasons a peron loves a particular racer (at least in my case), is often times about the crew. A good example is Strega and Dago Red. For many years everyone loved Strega (a few of us die-hards still do). After the majority of the crew moved to Dago Red, it suddenly became the fan favorite.
              The other thing is that people often 'love' the winner. They also 'love' the plane that gets the hype.
              The only way to truly say you love a particular racer is to answer one question. How do you feel about the plane, pilot and crew when 1) they aren't winning; 2) aren't there; 3) are retired and/or 4) are involved in controversy or bad press? If you 'stand by your racer' during all of these scenarios, then you can claim that you love the racer in question. Otherwise, you're a fan, but it's a passing fancy until the next big racer comes along.
              Based on the questions I've asked, I can honestly say that there are 3 racers that I love (in no particular order): Strega, Warlock and White Lightning
              Just my 2 cents

Comment

Ya gotta love a GO-or-BLOW attitude, there's no 'cruise' mode. It's a fight to the flag or a Mayday. THAT'S racing.

Comment

The Bear is cool because its the only Bearcat that races the gold class. I never got to hear the 3 blade, (the last time I was at Reno was the late 80s or early 90s), only the 4 blade. The 3 blade does look cool, but the results show that it was not the winning ticket. The reason the bear has oil all over it and Dago doesn't is due to the type of engine. The only time a radial engine doesn't leak is when its out of oil.
                  For the longest time I was a huge fan of Blind Mans Bluff (Critical Mass) simply because it was a Sea Fury and looked really cool (would someone please bring it back, '05 could be fantastic with the Bear, C.M. and the rest of the big radials.)
                  I do admit that a merlin at full throttle is the best sound in the world

Just my $.02
                  Will

Comment

In my years of following air racing I don't remember the bear ever outrunning Dago. I don't understand the bears following, Dago always outruns the bearcat, always will be faster than it. In the last three years I was at Reno I never saw the bear in front of Dago, and yes there a lot of Dago Red fans out there. Five years as the gold cup champ. Wasnt Dago in front of the bear this year at Reno at the finish line??????

Silky

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong...

But it doesn't seem like it was that long ago that the 'Bear' was not only beating all, but also setting new records doing it. I believe that as they continue to improve their program, it's just a matter of time before the 'Bear' is consistantly winning again.

But I also admit that I do miss 'Tiger' Bill and Strega, and Tom Dwell and Critical Mass. It's the same feeling I had when the 'Bear' wasn't able to race. The races just don't seem the same without them.

Lonnie

Comment

It's kinda like football. Who do you find more physically fearsome, a quarterback or a middle linebacker? Racing Mustings are like quarterbacks, good looking, sleek, and win by finesse. The Bear is like a linebacker -- thick-necked, tough as nails and fearsomely powerful.

If you wanted protection in a dark alley, would you select Terry Bradshaw or Dick Butkus? In their heyday, of course! Peas

PS Yea! The Bengals WON today. (As if I really care. I'd rather be flying -- and I was...)

Here's the Bear looking across the line of scrimmage at you!

Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Hey Peshooter,
                          Are you saying Bradshaw is good looking?

Comment

Good point! A face only a mother could love...
                            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by MMPerk
                              Correct me if I'm wrong...

But it doesn't seem like it was that long ago that the 'Bear' was not only beating all, but also setting new records doing it. I believe that as they continue to improve their program, it's just a matter of time before the 'Bear' is consistantly winning again.

But I also admit that I do miss 'Tiger' Bill and Strega, and Tom Dwell and Critical Mass. It's the same feeling I had when the 'Bear' wasn't able to race. The races just don't seem the same without them.

Lonnie
                              I think you'll find that one of the reasons that the Bear was 'beating all' and 'setting records doing it' was the deep pockets of Mr. Jack DeBoer. John Penney or BellCobraIV might be able to shed some more light on the subject, but from 1986-91, they were sponsored by DeBoer, and had the money to do the development into the powerhouse we saw through '91. But then the money went away. And it's been a struggle to maintain that level when the well is dry.

Comment

Working...
                              X