This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Ashley II

I was just reading throught the Raceplane tech griffon book and was wondering if it was ever determined what caused the tail to seperate. The book doesn't really say much about it. Also what happened to the aircraft after the accident? Where is it now?
    thanks

Re: Miss Ashley II

Here is a picture of the accident, we still miss you Gary.
    Attached Files

Comment

if i'm not mistaken it was caused by tail buffetting, it passed over me as it crossed home pylon and there was definetly movement going on with that plane
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

A very sad day at Reno that will always stand out in my mind.
        If you want more information on the accident you can read the factual report from the NTSB website.
        Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
        My Photos
        My Ride

Comment

Also what happened to the aircraft after the accident? Where is it now?
          I would have to assume that it was scrapped, as there really wasn't anything left to salvage or rebuild, and saving pieces of it as souvenirs would seem somewhat ghoulish to me....I can't say for sure though.

If you don't have AdobeAcrobat, or don't want to view a PDF file, you can read the full report on the following NTSB webpage. It would appear to be the same text:

The last line of the report states:
          "The aircraft wreckage was released to Mr. Robert Norris, adjuster for Universal Loss Management on December 6, 1999."

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine
            I was just reading thought the Raceplane tech griffon book and was wondering if it was ever determined what caused the tail to separate. The book doesn't really say much about it.
            Sometimes there is no definitive cause to a structural failure since there are so many forces acting upon it, thus it can become impossible to determine with 100% certainty that any one issue was the root cause. That, along with respecting the memory of the late Gary Levitz, his survivors & friends by not speculating or creating unsubstantiated rumors is why I feel Kevin & Nick did not go into detail - and I highly commend them for their decisions on keeping strictly to the facts.

The NTSB report covers the pertinent information, and is the only publicly released information on the accident - and will more then likely remain so. In any accident investigation - the NTSB refrains from publicly releasing anything but facts unless they are 100% certain of the cause of the accident, and as it should be.

I would like to hope that we can leave this at that - and not engage in speculation. The memory of this tragedy is still very painful to many individuals connected to the sport of air racing.

We miss you Gary

Mark K....

Comment

Thanks for all the replys. The NTSB report answered the questions I had. A very sad day, one hopefully never repeated.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra

Nice picture, there, Markster! :-) You must have been standing next to me that morning on the ramp (they all blend together after so many years), but that is an identical 'still' photo of my video from Bradfire '98. Taken that great Saturday morning when Dago, MAII, Risky Business, Southern Cross, and Val Halla all went out and tested during the Dawn Patrol. The sunrise was one of the best I've ever seen, and the sky was SO blue!

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                  Nice picture, there, Markster! :-) You must have been standing next to me that morning on the ramp (they all blend together after so many years), but that is an identical 'still' photo of my video from Bradfire '98. Taken that great Saturday morning when Dago, MAII, Risky Business, Southern Cross, and Val Halla all went out and tested during the Dawn Patrol. The sunrise was one of the best I've ever seen, and the sky was SO blue!
                  You have a very good memory Brad.... yes, that was Reno 98 - dawn patrol... and I do remember standing right next to you (we did that alot didn't we ). Good times bro
                  Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine
                    Thanks for all the replys. The NTSB report answered the questions I had. A very sad day, one hopefully never repeated.
                    What I found revealing was the picture of the prop governor leaking oil...some years back. A major malfunction in the contrarotating propellor system would most likely affect a heavy vibration first in the tailfeathers and when they are gone...the end is inevitable.

This is again just an assumption, but not totally baseless.

just my two ( euro ) cents,

Juke
                    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                      This is again just an assumption, but not totally baseless.
                      Well - acually it is baseless. It was a prop seal issue (not a prop governor issue) and it was only during the first 2 days of qualifying of Reno 99... it never reoccured.

Seriously Juke - please refrain from engaging in wild speculation on this accident. I know you are just trying to help, but it really isn't helping buddy.
                      Mark K....

Comment

Lovely picture, nice exchange but I'm going to take a bit of advice and lock this one down....

As Cobra said, there really is no reason or need to speculate about this one, remember her and her pilot and those who brought the dream to reality fondly.... nuff said... happy holidays!

Wayne
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                        X