Help Wanted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Wanted...

I need some information for a project we're working on. What I'm looking for is some information about the history of N5410V 44-74996 Dago Red, before it was built up into a racer in the early 1980s.

Anybody know anything about its military service? I know it was crashed into a couple of houses in Concord California in 1970. How much of an airframe did Tiger start with, and what kind of shape was it in? There was a photo in Air Comics in the early 80s of the wreckage before rebuild started. Anyone know where I could obtain a print of this or a similar photo? Anybody who was involved in the building of the Racer? Any construction photos, or shots of the airplane before paint? You can either post here or email or PM me.

Thanks... Neal
    Attached Files

Re: Help Wanted...

Specific info like that is hard to come by Neil, but I would suggest you contact Mike Coutches in Hayward, CA - who was the owner previously to it being sold to Tiger. He may even have some old photos for you. You might get lucky if you can contact Prevost F Smith, Santee CA (1st owner) or Donald Walker of Orinda, CA (2nd owner) - who had possession of the aircraft before Mike did. Maybe they have a photo for you or some info you may need. I'm sure you know that the airsraft was Manufactured in Inglewood, CA - Model P-51D-30-NA in 1945.... so it probably only saw action in the Air Force Reserves or National Guard... could have seen limited action in Korea but I don't have any facts to support that. Not meaning to sound like a broken record.... Dago was the brainchild of many people... Tiger, Pete Law, Frank Taylor, Bruce Bolland, Mike Nixon among others and the work was completed at at Mike Nixon's shop in Sun Valley & later, in Chino where the final assembly took place. Hopefully that will give you a start, sorry my research material in reguards to your specific questions is quite limited. But I will do a little more digging during the next week to see what I can come up with.

BTW: Have you talked to Bucky about this? He may have some Bruce Treadway pics or some of Dick Phillips collection that would foot the bill. Jerry Liang is also the keeper of the late, great Emil Strauser works - and would surely lend you a hand if he has anything you needed. Worth a shot

Reguards
    Mark K....

Comment

Neal,

The picture you're referring to is in an Air Progress Quarterly Review from about 1983 or so, and it has the Frank Taylor story in it. Small black and white photo of the wreckage laying on it's side in the hangar.
      (As I recall, the plane was painted bronze with a white star on the tail, or something like that...)

Private message me with your address, and I'll see if I can make a copy for you.

Brad

Comment

By the way....great picture of 'early' Dago there, Neal. That's a qualifying run from 1984, with the 'different' wingtips. Always wondered why they never used them more. They sure looked elegant.

Comment

Thanks Brad and Mark -- I do have that issue with the photo somewhere, so a copy willl not be necessary. I'd just like to have a reproducable copy of it. As I remember that shot was not credited. I also want to interview Tiger -- he may well have the photo. I'd also like to talk to Frank Taylor, though he's a bit more difficult to track down. I do know he's been a Dago guest a couple of times to see his old airplane run.

I liked those tips too -- and have always wondered why they were not ever tried again. Look also at the bulges in the wing where the ammo bays were sealed up...

Neal

Comment

neal you might also talk to terry bland, i looked at some stuff they had on there trailer this year and they had a color picture of dago being built up.
            heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Neal, I am headed down to B'field tonight- If the lights are on at Tiger's I'll see if I can round you up some info/pictures.

Did you get any good "Warlock" shots this year?????

All the best, RG
              Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
              RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75
                Neal, I am headed down to B'field tonight- If the lights are on at Tiger's I'll see if I can round you up some info/pictures.

Did you get any good "Warlock" shots this year?????

All the best, RG
                He should have, bro.....he was standing next to me out at #2 during the final! :-)

Comment

Ahhhhhh......

Will Nealfire pictures be on the cover of the Bradfire video? OBR
                  Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                  RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Pictures?

This was taken Monday during qualifying, at Pylon 3. Wish I could do more back there where the light is so different...

Nice cowling -- Really changes the look of the airplane after all those chrome years.

A visit to Tiger would be appreciated. If you do see him tell him we'd like to talk to him too.

Neal
                    Attached Files

Comment

So Randy -- Did you catch Tiger?
                      Attached Files

Comment

My aunt, Aline Smith, the wife of the originl owner, Prevost F. Smith is 81 years old. She would be the best source of information that could give you the history. She flew in the plane many times with my uncle. I never new it to be in the military. If you are interested, you may e-mail me at srosendo@aol.com, and I will talk with her to see if she will discuss with you. Her memory is very sharp. Sincerely, Susan Rosendo

Comment

Working...
                        X