Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unlimiteds Wanted Back

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
    They had the Pratt & Whitney R-4360 28 Cylinder engine in place of the 2800 that Corsair flew with.. (hey numbers guys, am I right there or did they fly with the 3350? stock)

Wayne
    Stock Corsairs indeed had the P&W R-2800. At the level of development that the 3350 was at in the late war years, I doubt ANYONE would have trusted their life or a mission to a single R-3350! Remember the pains they caused in the B-29. As the folks associated with a certain Bearcat often point out, the 50s vintage R-3350 that we know in modern air racers has almost nothing in common with the 1945 vintage R-3350 except the displacement. The R-2800 and Wright R-2600 were the "big" radials in single-engine fighters up until the F2G came along with the R-4360. The IIRC, the Skyraider was the first single-engine aircraft to use the (much improved) later R-3350.

Comment

RB-51
      STILLETTO
      TSUNAMI
      MA-II
      MR AWESOME
      POND RACER
      LARRY HAVEN'S P-63
      CRITICAL MASS
      HESTON NAPIER RACER
      STREGA

Whatever became of Stilletto? I watched her beat Dago my first time at
      Reno, very cool!!!

Comment

The standard answer is that Stilletto was returned to stock. I forget which aricraft she is currently (if she is still around in that form?) However there are some who belive that that bird was so far removed from a true Mustang, that the data plate etc was put on another aircraft, and the true Stilletto still exist somewhere, stashed away never to be seen again. I would like to beleive the latter....... If she was really returned to stock, that must have been one hell of a time and labor intensive project seeing as how little P-51 was left. Has anyone ever seen pics of the restoration during its progress? For that matter, does anyone have the pics of the buildup of Stilletto?

Comment

The standard answer is that Stilletto was returned to stock. I forget which aricraft she is currently (if she is still around in that form?)
          According to the Stallion 51 website Stiletto was rebuilt and is now part of their stable flying as Diamondback.

Cheers

Comment

Stilletto...alas its a TF now.
            I remember reading it was up for auction as Stilletto with a minimum bid of $330k. The minimum was not reached so it got converted and sold for a whole lot more than that. A racer is a pretty special purpose bird.
            Bill Garnett
            InterstellarDust
            Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Back in 84 Pacific Flyer had a great two page article on the modification of Stilletto with photos of the construction. Alas, I don't think I still have the issue.

Leo
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                The standard answer is that Stilletto was returned to stock. I forget which aricraft she is currently (if she is still around in that form?) However there are some who belive that that bird was so far removed from a true Mustang, that the data plate etc was put on another aircraft, and the true Stilletto still exist somewhere, stashed away never to be seen again. I would like to beleive the latter....... If she was really returned to stock, that must have been one hell of a time and labor intensive project seeing as how little P-51 was left. Has anyone ever seen pics of the restoration during its progress? For that matter, does anyone have the pics of the buildup of Stilletto?
                It appeared in Air Classics a couple of times. Sorry, no date references. Peas
                Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Working...
                X