Skyfire videos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyfire videos?

Anyone know why the Skyfire vids only cover up until the 2000 Races?
    Also are they anygood? Whats the footage like?
    thanks

Re: Skyfire videos?

Skyfire quit "doing" the Reno races and went on to other things after the 2000 races.

I liked them, I have 7 or 8 years worth. They mostly covered the unlimited class and I would have liked to have seen more Formula One and Biplane stuff but I guess the cameras could get built into thoise planes too easily

Skyfire promised a Reno DVD compilation set way back when and I'm still waiting. I guess that fell through the cracks.

Don Hatten
    Rare Bear Fansponsor

Comment

I have the last two years (`99+`00) on video and I thought they did a really good job with it. There is a good amount of coverage of the Biplane and T-6 classes to boot, but of course the main focus is the Unlimiteds.
      Don, I would also love to see the whole collection released on DVD. That would make one sweet box set
      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
      My Photos
      My Ride

Comment

This year at Reno in one of the RARA tents I saw them on DVD. Can't remember how much but now but at the time I thought they were very expensive.
        http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
        http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Well, I have the complete set of Skyfire videos and I must say... although Bradfire is better , the Skyfire stuff does a great job capturing some of the more memorable moments in air racing's past. It's always fun to watch Hoover ding his thing... and what would Reno be without Lefty & his P-38. Ahhhhh - good times

Bill Mitchel (owner of Skyfire) did like his time in the lime light... and I can tell you that he never really wanted to stop making the videos. However when his contract with RARA came up for renewal - it became too expensive for him to continue to produce the videos. On the Reno DVD compilation set... I lost contact with Bill and don't know the full story, however I do know that the person in charge of that project left the company a few years back - and since then there has not been the personnel available to complete it.

Anywayz - Skyfire is good stuff. Some of the vids do show their age (equipment back then for the upstart video production company certainly show their shortfallings) but overall, it's well worth the price of admission. In fact, it was the only game in town for many years... and archival footage of days gone by is quite the treasure for us air racing addicts.
          Mark K....

Comment

Isn't the guy who runs Skyfire Jim Mitchell (or, his alter ego who sounds almost exactly like him, Ram Francis)?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
              Isn't the guy who runs Skyfire Jim Mitchell (or, his alter ego who sounds almost exactly like him, Ram Francis)?
              Dude.....you beat me to the punch with the Ram Francis bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra
                although Bradfire is better

Shoot, Mark....yer gonna make me blush!

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                  Yeah, it's Jim Mitchel.... my bad. That goes to show you... never post after 2AM
                  Mark K....

Comment

thanks guys, I might just have to order the set. Also what is "BradFire"?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpine
                      thanks guys, I might just have to order the set. Also what is "BradFire"?
                      Only the sweetest home video this side of heaven......

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                        Are copies available?

Comment

Most definately. A much more "real" experience than the professional shoots. Thank you Brad!!

Leo
                          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                          X