Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Air Classics

Question on Rare Bear's canopy.

Does the bubble part of the canopy cover the "stock" canopy bubble opening or was the opening resized?

Speaking of Air Classics, I miss the old days where they used to publish the factory multiviews of the aircraft from their articles. Quite handy for modelers.

TTFN.....Kenn

May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

Speaking of Air Classics this month, I was thumbing through one at the newsstand and spied a photo that looked reeeeaaaalllly familiar to me on page 10.

Cool, but don't photogs get paid when they're published??

Comment

So is it still in your back yard?
        Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
          So is it still in your back yard?
          Jarrod
          Don't I wish! I actually tried several times to buy one of Mr Soplata's T-6s while I was there, but to no avail.

Comment

Hi Randy -- No, Michael does not pay for photos. And yes, he truly is an ass...

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by kennsmithf2g
              Question on Rare Bear's canopy.

Does the bubble part of the canopy cover the "stock" canopy bubble opening or was the opening resized?

Speaking of Air Classics, I miss the old days where they used to publish the factory multiviews of the aircraft from their articles. Quite handy for modelers.

TTFN.....Kenn

Hello Kenn,
              Thanks for your interest in the "Bear" and your question. The whole canopy arrangement currently on the "Bear" replaced the stock installation. If you look at a picture of a stock Bearcat, you'll notice a much taller canopy for both the forward, fixed, framed portion and for the rear, sliding portion. This reduces drag quite a bit, but reduces visibility over the nose. At race speeds, even in a level pitch attitude, we can't clearly see the ground in front of the nose, but do get some vis off to each side. Happily, most of the time during a race, we're in enough of a bank so as to allow adequate visibility of the course, and aircraft that may be in front of us.

John Penney, Team member
              "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                Cool, but don't photogs get paid when they're published??
                Hummn... not always, especially if their friend's send in the photo "for them"... but usually, it's pretty much accepted practice to spare no effort to SPELL THE GUY'S NAME CORRECTLY!

Saw the pic, read the caption, thought that it was likely you but the spelling had me scratching my head.

You have every right to write to them and ask both for a proper fee, and correct spelling of your name in a correction... or, thinking positive, get a free subscription, a courtesy sometimes offered contributors of a magazine.

Any idea what became of the bent wing?

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

There is a new warbird focused magazine on the market that is covering air racing. You can see a sample copy at www.warbirddigest.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Savage
                    There is a new warbird focused magazine on the market that is covering air racing. You can see a sample copy at www.warbirddigest.com
                    Hey Tim, welcome to the hangar! Magazine looks interesting. I notice when you signed up, your email addy is @warbirddigest.com soooooo you guys are gonna plug us in the magazine quid pro quo..... tit for tat.... right??

Wayne Sagar
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by "Bear" Driver
                      Hello Kenn,
                      Thanks for your interest in the "Bear" and your question. The whole canopy arrangement currently on the "Bear" replaced the stock installation. If you look at a picture of a stock Bearcat, you'll notice a much taller canopy for both the forward, fixed, framed portion and for the rear, sliding portion. This reduces drag quite a bit, but reduces visibility over the nose. At race speeds, even in a level pitch attitude, we can't clearly see the ground in front of the nose, but do get some vis off to each side. Happily, most of the time during a race, we're in enough of a bank so as to allow adequate visibility of the course, and aircraft that may be in front of us.

John Penney, Team member
                      "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team

Mr. Penney,

Thanks for the reply and the information.

Kenn Smith

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                        Any idea what became of the bent wing?
                        Pretty sure it's still in Mr Soplata's yard. He's still alive and kicking, and not planning on giving up his fleet of wrecks until after he dies. When that happens there's going to be a free-for-all over all the restorable airframes he has. It's probably one of the last places like this the warbird community will see!

Comment

I'll second the

THANKS !

...to John Penney, Jon & Tricia Sharp and all the others who fly, own and work these wonderful machines and still take the time to share with us "bystanders".

........Wayne you too for providing the medium for these exchanges !

.......we would most certainly be much further lost with-out this valued input.

Thanks again,
                          Mayday51
                          Jim Gallagher

Comment

Where can I get Air Classics on the news stand...at Barnes and Noble??? Borders doesn't have it.....I miss the days when I could get it anywhere....now with racking fees I never see Air Classics anywhere on the streets unless I drive 30 miles to the newsstands in Hollywood. But I think it's at BandN....please fill me in. Sheesh....come to think of it I could have renewed and got new subs for about 10 magazines after trips to Reno and Vegas to look at airplanes in real life!!!!

John

Comment

Originally posted by mayday51
                              I'll second the

THANKS !

...to John Penney, Jon & Tricia Sharp and all the others who fly, own and work these wonderful machines and still take the time to share with us "bystanders".

........Wayne you too for providing the medium for these exchanges !

.......we would most certainly be much further lost with-out this valued input.

Thanks again,
                              Five One... I have to pinch myself sometimes to realize what a lucky person I am. Not only can I count some of the most interesting people I have ever known as friends, some of them race and all of them share my passion for the competition and whatever else it is that draws us to this sport!

I've been criticized at times for being "censor happy" when I pee on the embers of smouldering subjects on this board... My efforts have always been to keep our virtual living room a pleasant place to sit back and have some good conversation with good people, fans racers and dissenters alike. I think we're pretty well onto that goal! Most everyone who wants to gets to post messages, only a few unregged messages that go into the review queue ever get thrown out and some of the really neat people, like John Penney, have become regulars here. Tiger used to be a regular "lurker" and is still regged, I hope someday to get him back.

We get aero mod guys, crew guys, engine guys, pilots, race pilots, wannabe's (me me me!!! ) and probably most important, we get newly born fans!!

I personally love it when somene chimes in with the "I've been a lurker for a while but now I can't resist, I've got to go to Reno, please give seating lodging..etc advice" nobody can place a value on that visitor! I don't think we ever really lose fans, once hooked, always hooked. Some people have to move across the country, some have to move across the globe (hopefully, temporairly!) and can't always make it to Reno in body but they sure are here in spirit during the races!

We just got a contribution the other day from a very nice lady who's son raced for the first time this year. She said she'd been able to track her son's progress during the week by coming here. I sometimes wince at the difficulty of getting the daily updates on the site, sometimes, wrenches are thrown in the mix that make it impossible (like this year when I lost my Internet connection for the last two days of the event) and for the daily results, I can never thank Naomi "GriffonGirl" West enough for her very fast 10 key fingers and dedication to going through the really boring drudge of transfering all those numbers into the little boxes to enable us to see them on line in a timely manner... She even goes as far as to wait at Stead for them to be posted on the board in the hangar, prior to them being released in paper form to get them to us early, that's dedication you can't buy!

Anyway, a pretty long winded response but I just felt like "gushing"... I love this message place, it's become an entitiy of its own! I sit back and read all the message notifications I get, push a button once in a while and enjoy the company of all who visit. We're never alone here... there's always someone around..

And, before too darn long, I swear we're going to put in a "chat" feature that works with your board login information so we can visit real time and hone our typing skills!! NOTHING like a live chat session to teach those fingers where the keys are!

Motormouthfingers....out....
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by John H
                                Where can I get Air Classics on the news stand...at Barnes and Noble??? Borders doesn't have it.....I miss the days when I could get it anywhere....now with racking fees I never see Air Classics anywhere on the streets unless I drive 30 miles to the newsstands in Hollywood. But I think it's at BandN....please fill me in. Sheesh....come to think of it I could have renewed and got new subs for about 10 magazines after trips to Reno and Vegas to look at airplanes in real life!!!!

John
                                John, even in the "big city" I have to search it out and the only way I've found to reliably get my monthly copy is to be a subscriber.. I got lucky and a subscription materalized in my mailbox for both Warbirds International and Air Classics (Challenge Publications two best mags) and though I can generally read them both, cover to cover in an afternoon, I learn about details of airplanes that I've seen or want to see that I'd probably never find out otherwise. They almost always go into the level of detail to include aircraft history, serial number etc, etc, etc.. the type of details that, if you remember them, you really impress your friends when they ask about a certain airplane and you pop off with all that info, stunning them into shock and awe at your historic prowess.. (I wish I was a numbers kind of guy... I'm lucky to remember the paint scheme usually!)

Anyway, go to their website.... http://challengeweb.com (I think that's correct anyway) and pony up for the year.. it's cheaper and more convenient than the stores and you'll get them about a week sooner.. tell em we sent cha!

And no, we don't get a cut of any subscriptions... I just know I smile when I open my mailbox and my copy falls on the ground (really bad design) at my feet each month...

Wayner
                                Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X