Any new planes out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any new planes out there?

Just this Monday, when I was browsing the pictures from Nellis, I couldn't help but notice the "Glacier Girl." Now, I love all of the unlimiteds that race but it would be nice to see "any" P-38 come out and race. Not so much to win but just to be rounding the pylons. I know that "Glacier Girl" was finished just a short while ago but does anyone know if the are plans for here to be at Reno '05. That brigns me to another plane; I believe her name is "White Lightning" (sorry if I messed the name). I know that they are trying to put her back together after the crash but does anyone have a date of completion? Like I said before, I have no problem with the racers out there now, I would just love to see another twin out there besides "Big Bossman;" I just love the sound that a fast twin makes as it comes around the home pylon!!!
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Re: Any new planes out there?

I very much doubt that Glacier Girl's owners will ever decide to race due to the rarity and expense. As for White Lightnin', the last I heard was they were still raising money ti start tge restoration effort.
    Dan Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by dj51d
      I very much doubt that Glacier Girl's owners will ever decide to race due to the rarity and expense. As for White Lightnin', the last I heard was they were still raising money ti start tge restoration effort.
      http://p38whitelightnin.com/ there really isn't any new news, I've not heard from Ladd in many months but there is a way to contribute to the cause there..

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I do miss Lefty. Watching White Litnin' rounding the course was the highlight of the races. And I NEVER missed one of his shows. If I was there, everything stopped until Lefty was done. Over the years I probably used up more film and video tape on him than all else combined!
        Matt, you should get a copy of the Skyfire production "White Litnin' "
        Awesome.

Leo
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I know that there has been millions of times that Skyfires website has been on this board, but I am asking one more time, what is there web address, if any? As for Glacier Girl, she is one unbelievable piece of machinery; a true work of art. I can understand why her owners do not want to risk her rounding the pylons, but it sure would be nice!!!
          "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Here's the link for Skyfire Video, also if you check out the White Lighting link that Wayne posted there is a really nice 15 min video you can download... I think it might even be from the Skyfire video, not 100% sure about that though.
            Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
            My Photos
            My Ride

Comment

I was fortunate enough to see lefty in his P-38 during the 80's many times, trimming down all the too-tall fenceposts out on the track (veterans will know what I'm talking about)...

...but I always regretted not getting out there before then, when Gary Levitz and Lefty would be flying in both their Lightnings in somewhat of a formation (I have seen the photo of them together in the "Gentlemen, you have a race" book)......That must have really been a sight to see live(and the sound of 4 Allisons going at one time by must have been quite unique!)

Comment

Quite a sight. Wish I could scan slides.
                Fenceposts, sagebrush, Lefty kept the course clean. The pictures of his low flying aren't an illusion. When he went by you on the pylon the air was sucked away!
                And the sound was beautiful.
                Gotto go dig out the tapes now.....
                The 80's were an exciting time. There were new aircraft almost every year. Speeds were climbing. Some of today's greats were just getting their Reno feet wet, and the smaller crowds and easier access was better for the photo's and fans.
                To live we must grow and to grow we must change.

Leo
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

I remember the race that Lefty took out that fence post very well. I used to sit under the wing of the White Lightining every year as a kid. I had "some what" special access to the pits and Lefty's pit in piticulare. I would get into the pits riding on the gass tank of a Reno PD motorcycle and get a ride to Lefty's pit were I would find my Father with a chair, cooler, and field glasses. I degress, sorry
                  Any how, after the race and Lefty landed, I was able to go past the dead line out onto the ramp with my father to help start up comming biplane race. But we made a quick stop at Lefty's P38 and saw the crew cutting open a down pillow and stuffing feathers into the wing tip were he hit the post. As we were leaving, the FAA just rolled up and the same crewman was just getting down from the ladder and said (rather loudly) "Damm birds"!

Another story, not so much about Lefty but the old days and very few restrictions.

My first few years of the races were spent on the north hills up above pylon 3, I think it was. Back then there was'nt any police to keep you from parking out there. We would get there early in my dads old Landcruser and spend the day watching the air show. When it came time for the unlimited race's, dad would let me stand on the hood as the planes flew over head. Talk about low flying and a view one dose not get any longer.
                  We could feal the prop wash, smell the exhost, and feal the spray bar mist! Now that is close!....

Comment

Lol! I didn't know about the "pillow-strike" story....that's one I must remember for the sit-around-the-campfire sessions next year (or sitting around the camping stove, where the fenceline area is concerned).

I also recall that someone hit a jackrabbit in mid-leap one year, but I cannot recall who did it or what year....Was this true, or was it just an ol' rumor? I know there have been bird-strikes before out there, but a bunny-strike is just too funny (and makes for one heck of a logbook entry!)

Comment

Rumor was it was Skip. I never saw the remains for proof, did anyone out there. I know he did catch a buzzard in "Shangri La" with an Air Classics writer on board.
                      My dad once told me a similiar pillow strike story, but his involved a C-130 and a too tall tree....

Leo
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                        I also recall that someone hit a jackrabbit in mid-leap one year, but I cannot recall who did it or what year....Was this true, or was it just an ol' rumor? I know there have been bird-strikes before out there, but a bunny-strike is just too funny (and makes for one heck of a logbook entry!)

Yeah, Skip hit the jackrabbit back in '81 in Jeannie. The following year he had a buzzard-strike while he was racing Shangri-La...which was the race that Michael O'Leary was riding along in the back seat for.

But dang, just ain't as good as Lefty hitting that fence post.

Comment

Working...
                        X