Aviation Nation Huge Success - More Photos From Las Vegas Air Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aviation Nation Huge Success - More Photos From Las Vegas Air Show

From everything that we heard and saw while attending the 2004 Aviation Nation Nellis Air Force Base - Las Vegas Air Show, it was a grand success for all involved!

The Air Race team members and pilots we spoke with had nothing but high praise for World of Wings and Nellis Air Force Base for their very "professional" "first class" handling of the race demonstration held at the show on Saturday and Sunday (with practice day/media day held on Friday)

There was a major rearrangement of the layout of the ramp this year from the last two years, with the Race Pit being moved to the "left" side of the field from its previous location.

This year, a special "Air Race Chalet" was implimented by World of Wings to keep the hungry race crews fed and hydrated during the three day long event. Watching the burgers beans and salad being consumed by the crews, we'd have to say this was something that could well spoil them for years to come!

With this said, watch for a "full" report coming, errr.,. well... soon... with more photos and, well, just... more...

As ya'll know, I'm not up to 100% yet, probably not even 50% yet... had to miss one full day of the action, most of the first and barely made it through the third... we had a mission (GET PHOTOS, SEE FRIENDS not necessairly in that order) and we accomplished that mission!

BeerNazi even got some good stuff with my old D1! which I turned over to her for the day on Sunday..

Later, Wayne...
    PS... BTW.. this was the last flight of the F-14 demo team, ever.. you may never see this amazing airplane in a flight demo again... ..snif...!!

*added by edit* getting to see the show for the first time, when you get home.. the ribbon cut.. never know you get it till you get home...
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Aviation Nation Huge Success - More Photos From Las Vegas Air Show

Quick Question:
    Whose Thunderbird T-38? Is it a stock airframe/engined T-38?
    Thx,
    VL
    PS: Get well Wayne; keep pluggin' away!

Comment

Well you have not forgot how to use a camera. I love the taxi shot of the unlimiteds. It's too damn bad the Navy could not get a F-14 Demo to Reno.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Adams
        Well you have not forgot how to use a camera. I love the taxi shot of the unlimiteds. It's too damn bad the Navy could not get a F-14 Demo to Reno.
        Thanks Tim! I'm always still learning how to use my camera! This week, I read the manual while in the "library" and noticed that there was an additional AF setting that was exactly what the doctor ordered for the 80-400VR which tends to hunt incessently unless the subject is clearly defined.

Someone called me a "photographer" at Nellis, I corrected him... "I'm just a guy with a good camera" and I'll stand on that excuse!

Now, if I can get my steady hands back, I'll be a happy camper!

Thanks again though Tim.... Really!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,

Nice shots...

I really like the HA1112. Had to save that one to my files. Is that the Planes of Fame or Harold Kindsvaters? I believe they have the only 2 in the area that are airworthy.

Who was flying it? Skip, Steve Hinton, Harold?

I worked with Harold for a couple months helping on the restoration. Wish I could have done more. No longer in the area, I would love to see some more pictures of his aircraft. Any others have shots of it? I believe Skip flew it to the Races a couple years back.

I know I have some pictures around back when he first received the aircraft from the CAF. Will have to see if I can find them.

Warren

Comment

Warren,

Thanks, really! It was great to be able to get out and do what I really like doing! I'm not sure which one it was, but it was Skip flying it.

I think in one of the performer sections (static or flying) on http://nellisairshow.com I put in some background on the airplane.... memory of *what* I put in escapes me at the moment...

Thanks again for the compliments, but I don't think I got any more good one's of the airplane. I missed the demo on Friday due to extreme fatigue, missed the entire day on Saturday for same reason (lighting sucked that day anyway) so I only got one chance at it and Skip stayed up pretty high for most of the demo, one really good pass came from right to left and caught me off guard, so I really only shot him on one pass and managed this one. Once I get back to my desktop so it does not take three flips of the hourglass to open the HUGE .nef format files to see how they actually look, I might have some more...

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

i am really sorry i missed the show the f-14 is my favorite jet
              thanks wayne for posting those photos
              while you made my day with the photos your info on the last flight of the demo team made me sad
              www.renosection3.com

Comment

great pics cant wait to see more.hope i can go next year
                Jim Adams
                Blue Thunder 2 crew
                Picabo race 51 crew
                Rapid Travel race 75 crew

Comment

Wayne !

What speeds did those Mustangs and that F-15 and A-10 fly...was Eagle near to stall ?

rgds,

Juke
                  http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Vlado,

I heard rumor that the T-38 was owned by Ross Perot Jr.
                    NX38MX
                    I was also told it is a T-38 front end mounted to F-5 engines-
                    really neat aeroplane! (Had no trouble staying in front of "Warlock" during the "scratch race" hehe) All the best, Randy
                    Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                    RIP 03/17/10

Comment

I heard the same rumour about the T-38 belonging to Ross Perot Jr. but there was some talk that this was the same aircraft that Chuck Thornton restored many years ago. Anybody know for sure? The T-38 arrived at Williams Gateway Airport a few weeks ago while I happened to be hanging around and it is a jaw dropper for sure.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Randy's right about the owner. I heard talk about it before the show and I'm pretty sure that's the name I heard attached to it..

Wayne
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Randy, thanks for the note.
                          Me thinks the T-38 is the same airframe that John Dilley at Fort Wayne put together over the last few years (It may have a psuedo glass cockpit as well). Me thinks that Thornton had/has only stock T-38s and F-5Bs (for the 2 seaters), no mix-match airframes.
                          It must be quite a zoomer!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                            Someone called me a "photographer" at Nellis, I corrected him... "I'm just a guy with a good camera" and I'll stand on that excuse!
                            You did an outstanding job Wayne... great to see that you were able to get up there and have some fun. Just like milk - it does a body good .
                            Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra
                              You did an outstanding job Wayne... great to see that you were able to get up there and have some fun. Just like milk - it does a body good .
                              Markers, gotta tell ya bud, your words make my throat do that thing that we guys never admit to...

It was a LOT tougher than I'd imagined getting back out there! A good friend had talked me out of going down early just at the last second and man, I owe her a ton for getting me thinking straight. I did NOT have the stamina to do even what I tried to do with the shortened schedule.

Just getting through the airport was a HUGE challenge (and was again today when I went home)

I'm sure, since it didn't kill me, it was good for me tho..

It was GREAT to get to see the folks that I did get to see (missed quite a few but got to see those who basically found me) and to see some airplanes turning hydrocarbons into noise again!!

Wayne
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X