X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: T-6 Gold Race Video Request

Originally posted by Kevin L
    Nope, I just get a blank page also.

My guess is that the "Warlock Camp" has something to do with this board sabotage.

Just kidding
    LOL... that'd prolly be it! Remember, a warlock is a male witch... I don't doubt it for an instant!!

Neal just sent me a really good pic of Warlock from this year, mebbie he'll shrink it down a bit and post it here?? It'll be a POTW at some point if not.. then, mebbie Randy will break the spell and let us see the big version of the Blue picture..

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by rpzo
      big white nothing. A polar bear in a snowstorm. No picture when I try it.

Testing to make sure that it's not Old Blue causing the problem...
      Rick, I can see your pic.. unsure what the problem is. Probably just some sort of glitch on the server. It automatically resizes the image when you upload it to make the thumbnail... maybe it didn't save the original correctly after it did the deed..

"nothing can go wrong.. go wrong... go wrong........."

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The jpg got corrupted after creating the thumbnail ?

Ctrl-Alt-Del, reboot the system and try again. That's what we do at work.

Rick

Comment

Wayne,

What limits do you put on image file sizes? The properties for Race 22 Crew's picture says it's 155kb. I've tried to upload images that were to large before though and I though that it would get rejected during the upload process. Just for yucks I'll attach a larger jpg and see what happens. The attached is 174kb.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75
            Hey Gang!

I am looking for video of the 2004 T-6 Gold Race- I have "Bradfire" (thanks Bro) but would really like to see any video ya'll may have.

Thanks in advance, all the best- Randy Goss
            Randy,

I think I have the whole T-6 Gold race on tape from the fenceline. That is a pretty nice angle as I get the T-6s coming down the back straight almost directly head on. This was my first trip out with my new Canon XL2 and the quality looks pretty good.

I'm waiting for my Apple G4 to come back from the shop with a replacement superdirve. Then I'll be able to load up Final cut and transfer to DVD.

When I get that done I can send you a copy if you'll e-mail me a mailing address. bill@interstellardust.com
            Bill Garnett
            InterstellarDust
            Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by rpzo
              Wayne,

What limits do you put on image file sizes? The properties for Race 22 Crew's picture says it's 155kb. I've tried to upload images that were to large before though and I though that it would get rejected during the upload process. Just for yucks I'll attach a larger jpg and see what happens. The attached is 174kb.
              Rick, I bumped it to 190400bytes (the board wants it in bytes) which translates to something like 185kb or so, I think.. A fairly decent file size for an 800x600 image, I probably should bump it a bit more but I don't think that's the problem. That's where I put the size when I upped the image dimension limits to 800x wide and this is the first time I've seen a problem, err.. I forgot to compress one properly once and it would not go.. My guess is that somehow, Warren's file just got corrupted in the process.

The board software is pretty good, but I guess nothing's perfect

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell
              This was my first trip out with my new Canon XL2 and the quality looks pretty good.
              Bill, that's a pretty decent video camera <droool!> carries a price tag equal to my recent addition (the D2H) makes me envious actually. Video is a lot more fun to play with than stills but stills are a lot harder to use and or sell... One of these days!

Is that a three chip camera? I think it is just about or is "broadcast quality" isn't it??

Digital technology has come SO far over the years that it's astounding. Will you be uploading any of your video stuff once you get it all sorted out? I'd love to see it. On same topic (sort of) I heard from RARA that they have a video of this year coming out sometime before Christmas I think.. Could not pin the actual date of release but it'll be neat to see, especially for those of us who missed this year... I still can't believe that I actually missed a Reno!

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                Bill, that's a pretty decent video camera <droool!> carries a price tag equal to my recent addition (the D2H)
                Is that a three chip camera? I think it is just about or is "broadcast quality" isn't it??

Digital technology has come SO far over the years that it's astounding. Will you be uploading any of your video stuff once you get it all sorted out? I'd love to see it. On same topic (sort of) I heard from RARA that they have a video of this year coming out sometime before Christmas I think.. Wayne
                Wayne,

Yes it's a really nice 3 chip camera. I've been waiting (and saving, yup an arm and a leg) for a year and a half for Canon to upgrade the XL1s. I't's got higher resolution chips and has lots of recording options like 16:9 format, 24p, etc. I really like the 20 power zoom lens although I found it hard to get used to following a 500 mph object at close range at full zoom. I also wish the focus ring had a hard stop at infinity, but I'm getting used to it.

Interestingly enough, I like shooting stills better. Some years I went home from the races feeling like I didn't actually see them. Watching the action through the little B&W viewfinder on my once state of the art Sony Hi-8 just isn't the same as watching through a nice 35 viewfinder, much less with the bare nekid eyeball. Video results are of course a much stronger memory tickler when you get home. The sound track really adds something as well.

I'd be happy to upload you some examples if you'll tell me how. That is when I get the Mac back.

I've got video going back to 1989, and super 8mm and 35 stills going back to 1964. Now that I've got some capture and editing equipment, I might have to do something with it.

I'll bet between the board heads here we could put together a pretty intersting documentary on the history of the air races at Reno. I know I'm not the only one out on the fenceline (and the front straight before they kicked us off in 1990) taping.

Speaking of the Fencline... which one of you is in my shots of the Unlimited gold final on Sunday standing on top of that big motor home?

Shhh, don't tell RARA we have any good equipment. They might stop letting us in the gate with it.
                Bill Garnett
                InterstellarDust
                Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Bill, I know what you mean about "not seeing the races" due to watching them through a viewfinder! When I invested something like $1800. in my, then the hottest thing going, Canon Hi8 camcorder back in, gosh, I'd really have to dig to figure out exactly when I got it but it was somewhere around '89 or '90... I would spend the entire race looking through the viewfinder! This was usually done sitting in the reserved grandstands. I figure I've got some pretty good stuff archived, most of which, I've never even looked at to be honest. I finally had to stop going to the races for a few years when my dad died and I also had just bought a new home that was pretty far from finished.. By the time I started going again, it was for aafo.com and I still shot a bit of vid but switched over to stills. Now, I watch the races through the viewfinder of a still camera!

I would wager that I see less than 10% of anything I attend, with the exception of maybe Sun-n-Fun where don't really shoot the "flip flops" much. Air2Air is really a thing where I rarely see what is there until later!

I remember a few years back shooting at the Grass Valley Air Show up in Parker's Seneca, I was snapping away at Tom Dwelle in CM and moved the camera down a bit for a second and about chit at how close he was!!

In both shots below, the slight blur in the left lower corner is the door frame of the seneca. I was sitting sideways in the right rear seat with the left one removed, with my feet resting on the doorsill (a really COOL place to view the world by the way!) and man, man MAN, was Tommy close to us!!

But again, but for a precious second or two, I only really got a chance to see it afterwards..

On the uploading of vid files... I know we can make that happen here on the board. Mark K. worked it out on his car website http://eastbaymuscle.com I'll have to analyze how much disk space we're eating up currently on the server and see if we can "afford" to do it. Prolly so but I have to be careful so's I have room for client sites...

I'm usually pretty disappointed with web video unless you really don't compress it much and then it's HUGE files and only those of us with high speed can enjoy them.

But then... doesn't everybody have high speed???

BeerNazi got the really cheap Comcast introduction offer on her computer for three months and then let it go and went back to her dialup... we're looking to see if she can get QWest dsl now, she's hooked.. Once you go broadband, you can never go back!

Weeeelllllll have fun with the new "toy" they really do loook neat! Bet you can't tell the difference between what you get with that baby and the $25 grand pro stuff!

Wayne
                  Attached Files
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

LOL Warren, I was pulling your chain
                    Wayne

I figured just about everyone has some pictures of Blue..But another chance to post a shot...sure, I've got a few (and better) shots myself. Wife's point and shoot 35mm just doesn't quite do it.

Still working on the DVD transfer. Amazed at the file size. Keep working it down, but don't want the quality to drop too much either. Might just go with VHS for now unless someone can tell me the best way to transfer about a hours worth of video to the DVD. Older Sony8 with composit connections. My video editing programs may be lacking as well. Anyone have experience on this?

Thanks,
                    Warren

Comment

Re: Video Editing: A testimonial (;-)

Hi Warren,
                      Bill Clark, (aka: Air Race Addict) here. While I don't claim to be an expert by ANY stretch of the imagination, I have been working with a video editing program called Pinacle Studio. They have various grades of sophistication available for more $ of course. But, I have been using Studio for a couple of years now to edit my VHS tapes, and they are actually pretty good when they are done. The latest version is 9 and it has software options included in the basic version for making DVD,s (I don't have a burner, so I have to stick with VCD for now), latest versions of MPEG, MS Video files, AVI, Real Player files, etc. and you can do all kinds of things, add music to drown out the drunken sailors around you drowning out the sound of the aircraft, and many really cool transitions if you want to get really fancy. Custom titles, sound editing, etc. VERY versatile. It cost less than a hundred bucks for the version I use. You can use firewire connections for Svideo, RCA connectors, almost anything you can think of. It really is pretty sweet. It's capable of Pro quality final product. They had a seminar in Spokane (part of a national road show) and there were people from the local news stations playing with the software and some already use the pro version. It had a couple of hiccups in earlier versions, but now it is highly user friendly and I really like it alot. Very reliable and not CLUNKY so to speak.
                      I hope this gives you at least a place to start. I am starting to work on some of the video I took in the past. So far, so good.
                      Bill
                      Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Working...
                      X