Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B25 on Discovery Channel last week - MotoArt - WingNuts COOL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: B25 on Discovery Channel last week - MotoArt - WingNuts COOL!

Yes, I believe that the stuff they use is pretty much destined for the scrap dealers. If these items were rare and desired in original form, I doubt they would be getting them so cheaply for their projects. Note that on the last episode, most of the DC-9's were scrapped before they could get to Roswell to purchase them. More aviation history lost to the smelters forever. These guys are saviors in most cases.

For example, one might object to them using rare B-17 propeller blades for their sculptures, but according to their website;

QUOTE:
    "One January morning in 1998, the metal junk man who recycles our scrap aluminum made his usual stop. By chance I glanced in the back of the scrap pile and viewed several marvelous creations from the past. As it turned out, these were B-17 propellers. All were greasy, dented, and about to be melted for scrap."

In other words, these items would have been gone forver if it weren't for these guys. Good show fellas!

..And I have no problem with goatees, backwards caps, tatoo's, etc....I don't look at people in that manner....I've met some very fine folks who fit those descriptions, and they weren't limited to California locations. An open mind can be a blessing at times.

NOTE: I believe the edit button only has a 30 minute lifespan after you hit SUBMIT for the first time.

I wish more forums had such a feature, as I admin at a few gamer websites, and I hate it when kids edit and alter their postings days later, sometimes screwing up the entire topic of the thread...re-editing to fix typos and such is fine by me, but once you post it, proofread it and fix errors, leave it be....

Comment

.02 cents worth-
      I've walked a few of the salvage yards, (which would be a great place for a Junk Yard War episode), and flown over the boneyards, and there still are a LOT of parts out there. The yard operators are pretty savy, and often have to 'move' merchandise, to make room for more profitable items. They aren't museums, they are there to make money, and that's the reality of it.
      In a round-about way it may help, bye getting people interested, MAYBE, on what that polished prop, came off, OF...., and the talent of the people that made them in the first place.
      What these guy's and a few of you photographers do, is show the intrinsic beauty in a lot of these components.
      I still grimace at the destruction of parts and the wholesale slaughter, of all those aircraft after WWII, but there IS only so much space. (And some of those parts ain't in that good a shape, on some sheet metal parts we were looking at, we figured we'd have less work to make something from scratch.
      The DRAMA in these "quasi-reality" shows, IS pretty tired, but as long as people keep watching, they'll keep making them. Me, I think I'll go put on a copy of "Flight of the Phoenix".
      .................................................. ...........Paul

Comment

The point I was driving at was that hindsight is 20/20. A lot of people bought Merlins for boats, dragsters and salt-flat racers because they were abundant and cheap, "there were plenty of them" around. I've heard that people bought intact aircraft for the gas in the tanks?
        You simply do not know now, how rare these aircraft will be in 20 years. There are fewer and fewer "treasures in the barn" anymore, and the attrition rate is getting pretty high. Who would have ever thought that we would see the building of "new" Yak, Focke Wulf, Curtiss and Messerschmidt airframes because the originals simply don't exist or are too valuble to fly. To me it's like an animal extinction. No one thinks that they're the cause until it's too late. Think about the fact that there isn't a single original Dr-1 flying in spite of its huge following.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris300s
          The point I was driving at was that hindsight is 20/20.
          Chris
          TELL ME ABOUT IT, (drifting of thread), when I started college, I passed on a guy selling a pristine Sunbeam Tiger, for $1200.00, a friend bought it and that ended up being the down payment on his first house......

I'm with you though, if I didn't live in the land strapped S.F. bay area, I'd have A HUGE barn, with all kinds of stuff squirlled away. Be greatful, though, we have the communication capabilities, and computer power to duplicate, and frankly, build them better now, ie: Delmar Benjimans GeeBee, then they the originally were.

As for extinction, unfortunately, everything has its time. (Otherwise, we'd be up to our necks in dinosaur poop).

Today is the yesterday of tomorrow............carpe diem..........Paul

Comment

Just to mention that if anyone was interested in the character of
            Tim Roberts on Wingnuts, there is a special tribute page on his and
            my site http://www.timmurphyband.com/

Tim was a great musician and there will be a page especially set up in
            his memory featuring soundbytes, music and video.

Best regards,
            Tim Murphy

Comment

Thanks for the link, Tim....Facinating to read something of the man's musical history....is that T.R. wearing the white trilobites tank-top in the top picture? If it is, I hardly recognized him with all that hair.

My condolences to you and his other friends/family/loved ones...

Comment

where is wing nuts

Comment

Working...
                X