Check out www.skipholm.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out www.skipholm.com

Alot of good stuff here including the inside story of the Dago Red '04...!

Awesome stuff!

Herb

Re: Check out www.skipholm.com

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Alot of good stuff here including the inside story of the Dago Red '04...!

Awesome stuff!

Herb
    Extremely Herb! I was sent this link a few minutes ago and was reading the story as the notification of your message in queue came into my emai bin..

Amazing story!

Wonder when Skip wrote this? Interesting the damage to the engine last year, had John been able to apply more pressure to Skip, I wonder if the rest of the crank might have been unhappy enough to not want to finish the race??

That sure puts us right in the cockpit doesn't it!

Great read!! Highly recommended!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Yikes.....that was an awesome story. I never knew how close they came to loosing her on that deadstick landing. Does anyone know where along the wing he hit the power pole?

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
        Yikes.....that was an awesome story. I never knew how close they came to loosing her on that deadstick landing. Does anyone know where along the wing he hit the power pole?
        Also significant was Skip's mention of how much damage there was to the engine after last year's race.

Had John Penney been able to apply more pressure on Skip to make his left hand have to push harder, maybe the year would have been entirely different. No matter how you slice it, it still appears that the Merlin operates on the very edge of something going wrong when running at full tilt... with a healthy Bear, could we be entering another era of the big roundie running down the hot rabbit and breaking him before the only lap that counts!?!?!

Oh my.... it's only October and already I can feel it building!!!!!!!

It's going to be really neat to see Skip and John in the sky together down at Vegas... I think you can tell by the way Skip wrote that article (very well, indeed!) that Mr. Holm does NOT like to lose!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That is a great article. Seems that Dago and the Bear both had very busy crews this year.

In reading his resume of aircraft flown (and what an impressive list it is), I see that he has time in the Rare Bear. When did he fly her? Did he ever fly it in a race?

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin L
            In reading his resume of aircraft flown (and what an impressive list it is), I see that he has time in the Rare Bear. When did he fly her? Did he ever fly it in a race?
            Somebody mentioned that to me a month or two ago and I completely forget the story behind it...

Speeddemon: I know you know the answer to this....

yo' Speed... you there??

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin L
              Reading Skip's resume is enough to make anyone short of Bob Hoover feel a little "inadequate".

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                Reading Skip's resume is enough to make anyone short of Bob Hoover feel a little "inadequate".
                Pretty daring landing that deadstick at approach to Stead. I bet that makes one feel slightly uncomfortable for a while, even when one makes it. I wonder if even 1/100 pilot could have made it ( possibly 1/ 10 000 ).

Way to go Skip !

rgds,

Juke

PS: They aren't going to operate my back at all..just a cortisone injection to the nerve root !
                http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                  Speeddemon: I know you know the answer to this....

Skip did some testing of the Bear in the mid-1990's, and if I remember, was actually named 'back-up' pilot for John Penney during that time when Lyle's pilot's license was 'in limbo' and when RARA threatened to ban John Penney for his 'choice of words', or something like that.

Skip never raced the Bear, though. That is a pretty elite group of people there....

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                    Pretty daring landing that deadstick at approach to Stead. I bet that makes one feel slightly uncomfortable for a while, even when one makes it. I wonder if even 1/100 pilot could have made it ( possibly 1/ 10 000 ).

Way to go Skip !

rgds,

Juke
                    Juke, the dead stick aproach wasn't into Stead it was into their home base at Provo Utah......not that that makes it any less impressive mind you. The thing that stuck out to me is the fact he was coming in, not sure if he was going to make it, and still decided to pull the flaps up If I could be 1/4 the pilot he is, I would be very very happy.

Comment

If I could be 1/4 the pilot he is, I would be very very happy.
                      LOL.... if I could know 1/4 of what he's forgotten I'd be real happy

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Juke, the dead stick aproach wasn't into Stead it was into their home base at Provo Utah......not that that makes it any less impressive mind you. The thing that stuck out to me is the fact he was coming in, not sure if he was going to make it, and still decided to pull the flaps up If I could be 1/4 the pilot he is, I would be very very happy.

Ok, I stand corrected. Nice work anyhow when saving that precious racer.

regards,

Juke T
                        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Check out the missions about vietnam on his website. Holy crap!! "Bouncing" F105's off the water!!

Stacy

Comment

LICENSES & DESIGNATIONS
                            Propellor: All WWII Fighters and Reciprocating aircraft

that makes it easy to list, anything with a prop baby.

And such a nice fellow.
                            ECVSteve
                            E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
                            Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

"...help the flight surgeon with ‘VD Patrol.’ I was supposed to go into town and inspect the girls, and hand out color-coded stickers. White ones to safe girls and brown ones to those who weren’t.”

Some very intresting stories indeed.
                              Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                              My Photos
                              My Ride

Comment

Working...
                              X