Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From THe Bear Cave: John Penney Interview On Speed Channel Tonight 7:00PM Pacific

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: From THe Bear Cave: John Penney Interview On Speed Channel Tonight 7:00PM Pacific

Interesting fact about the Bear (and aircraft piston engines in general) that folks don't talk about is the HUGE amount of torque they make.

Useing the formula that HP = TorqueXrpm divided by 5252, comparisons can be made.

Untill last year nobody really knew how much HP a top fuel dragster or fuel funny car actually made. Estimates based on performance indicated somewhere north of 6000hp but no dyno exists that can measure it. Finally, somebody came up with some sort of strain guage that can attach to the driveshaft and actually measure HP during a run. Under the old 90% nitro rule (they are now limited to 85%), on at least 2 passes the guage indicated 8000 hp for a couple thousandths of a second. But useing the above formula, and an rpm of 8000 which is about what they run, that comes out to 5252 foot pounds of torque, and of course that only lasts less than 5 seconds.

Assuming Rare Bear make 4000 hp at 3000 rpm, that is an astounding 7002 foot pounds of torque for several 8-10 minute races in a row!

No other motorsport in the world can make that claim as far as I know.

Ron Henning
    Ron Henning

Comment

Re: From THe Bear Cave: John Penney Interview On Speed Channel Tonight 7:00PM Pacific

Wayne,

I don't care what anybody says, you did a great job! I'll keep appologizing for the name thing, even though it wasn't me that said it. Heck, you guys think everything we say comes out funny! And they also say we have that "swagger", but then again, we all know we just call that walkin'. But I digress.

It would be really great to find a way to get a series of interviews, of actual programs that feature many different pilots and crews. I've got a good half-hour of "Golden" stuff with each of the people that we did profiles on in 2000. If someone wakes up with a brilliant idea, or suddenly stumbles over a big pile of money, I can get that show put together!

I missed the original broadcast of the John Penny interview. I'll have to tape the Monday showing, as I'll be on my way to Houston to go flying with someone we met on our way back from Reno this year. I'll let you know how that goes.

Continued recovery, and our best wishes, and hope to see you in Vegas in a few weeks!

Your friend,

Jeff Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Ron101502
        No other motorsport in the world can make that claim as far as I know.
        Ron Henning
        Interesting "factoids" Ron... It is, without a doubt, the WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORSPORT....

I've sat in the cockpit of Rare Bear once, quite a while ago actually and I was absolutely in awe of anyone that could one, just fly the thing and then especially, thinking of being 50 or so feet off the ground while producing all that power....

John Penny... in sitting talking with you, you seem like just a normal guy... so, in reality, how do you hide the big "S" on your chest when you change shirts!

Hat's off to all the men and women in Air Racing!

Simply amazing!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
          Wayne,

I don't care what anybody says, you did a great job! I'll keep appologizing for the name thing, even though it wasn't me that said it. Heck, you guys think everything we say comes out funny! And they also say we have that "swagger", but then again, we all know we just call that walkin'. But I digress.

It would be really great to find a way to get a series of interviews, of actual programs that feature many different pilots and crews. I've got a good half-hour of "Golden" stuff with each of the people that we did profiles on in 2000. If someone wakes up with a brilliant idea, or suddenly stumbles over a big pile of money, I can get that show put together!

I missed the original broadcast of the John Penny interview. I'll have to tape the Monday showing, as I'll be on my way to Houston to go flying with someone we met on our way back from Reno this year. I'll let you know how that goes.

Continued recovery, and our best wishes, and hope to see you in Vegas in a few weeks!

Your friend,

Jeff Lee
          LOL Jeff.... This is Waynd Saager here *if* I did well at all, it was due to your absolutely great direction.. take a green SHY person and pull out of them what you did out of me... pretty amazing stuff Jeff..

And, even though, it was one of the harder things I've ever done in my life... I'm hooked for some stupid reason and, even though it's a lot more fun to be on the other end of the camera shooting airplanes, I'd love to do it again?? I really have not figured out why, I don't think it's ego, it might be that I like challenges..

It remains the high point of my "career" on TV... as it was the only time I've been on TV

I'd love to see you involved with ANYTHING that has to do with air racing!

Have fun flyin, thanks for the well wishes and check your email.. I added you as a regged user as Jeff Lee and sent you a password reminder so you could go in and reset your password to what you want it... sign in, and your posts will show up immediately instead of having to wait for me to get to them and "approve" them.. I've just returned from BeerNazi's beach condo and even though I paid for DSL about a month ago down there... they have yet to make it work.. The phone was so noisy, I could not even dialup so I was, for the most part, unable to connect to the net from midday friday till this evening (sunday)

Anyway.... thanks for the support Jeff, I'll be down to Nellis the weekend before the event to help out however I can... I'm feeling good and need to push the envelope a bit.... doctor said I can do what I feel like I can do so, I'm hot on it!!

I will not cross any red lines this time!!!!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I will not cross any red lines this time!!!!

LOL....makes a for a bad time! When I was stationed at Luke I even saw AF Firefighters get "hooked up".

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
              LOL....makes a for a bad time! When I was stationed at Luke I even saw AF Firefighters get "hooked up".
              I should have known better but sort of got "set up" by a group of NCO's who prolly got a good laugh out of it... My problem was, there is "air show time" and "before air show time" and there are "air show rules" and "before air show rules" I had been there the year before but only came in after "air show rules" were in effect... my brain failed to wrap around the fact that it was before that time since I'd gone down early to help out.. They were enforcing the "rules" sort of on and off.. I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and... even bigger, had a camera.. not good.. all worked for the good and I learned big time!!!!!!!! Believe me, it was hard to cross the lines even during the show after that!!

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey Tex Fan, I just got back in from a LONGGGGGG weekend. I actually caught the repeat interview and you are right. It was GREAT!!! John Penny you are a class act and Lyle you and the rest of the crew deserve all the praise...... Tex Fan I live in Temple, how far away do you live?
                Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

Working...
                X