Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From THe Bear Cave: John Penney Interview On Speed Channel Tonight 7:00PM Pacific

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: From THe Bear Cave: John Penney Interview On Speed Channel Tonight 7:00PM Pacific

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
    So, if you have any special or ordinary images, I'll try to find one's that are already posted but I'll need an email granting permission to keep it legal... thanks in advance..
    Wayne, your always welcome to use anything I've shot.
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Re: From THe Bear Cave: John Penney Interview On Speed Channel Tonight 7:00PM Pacific

arrgh i missed the interview i hope some one taped it
      www.renosection3.com

Comment

Originally posted by Marauder61
        Wayne, your always welcome to use anything I've shot.
        Victor, I knew you and others would say yes, I just have to ask and... if you would not mind send me an email granting "single use" permission to display your images on rarebear.com. I *KNOW* you would never be a problem but just to be "legal" and particularly, since it's not my arse that would be on the line, since the site is owned by Rare Bear Air Racing, I'd feel comfy if I were ever asked, that I could say, why yes, we have permision right here on file...

I truly hate to be a "legal eagle" but I've just had too many times that I wasn't and it blew up in my face later on..... I guess I'm still going to get sued here sometime next year, for what I don't know, but we're not going to discuss it and I spank myself for even saying it....

THANKS VICTOR!

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Section3guy
          arrgh i missed the interview i hope some one taped it
          I could not figure out how to get my VCR to record all the way up to channel 408... I know it could be done but I wound up with 20 minutes to get it figured out and missed it...

I don't know if I should say this but I get a confirmation email from the rarebear site webstore whenever an order processes (it just keeps me sure the program is working) and this evening, there have been several new orders. I think the Despain thing would likely be responsible.

A big problem, hopefully solved, the bank link was messed up a few days ago, on their end, I hope it got solved!!!!!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

if you would not mind send me an email granting "single use" permission to display your images on rarebear.com.
            Wayne,

Permission from me should be in your mailbox. If not, let me know and I will resend it.

Rick

Comment

Thinking back a few years, just before SPEED CHANNEL became that name, when it was called "SPEEDVISION" it aired the show that World of Wings shot at Reno 2000 that your's truly "co-hosted" from atop the Miss America trailer and down in the pits one morning after getting zip sleep (if anyone has ever seen that show, you'll note the one scene where I am in the pits, my eyes are just about swollen shut.. I was supposed to be all done and they called me in for some more "in's and out's")
              Wayners,
              That was you?!? I'm pretty sure I have that taped around here somewhere.

Kevin, I was thinking the same thing! Maybe a Lyle Shelton bobble head!

Race 29
              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
                Wayners,
                That was you?!? I'm pretty sure I have that taped around here somewhere.
                In the flesh.... cept the boys from Texas pronounced my name "saager" before I ever saw what they'd taped.. so if the show had have sold, (what we did was the pilot for a half hour series, sort of a "keep em flying show") I'd have had to changed the way I say my name .... you really saw it and taped it? Geez, I thought it was a perfect flop, never heard much about it. I watched it many times on the pre release tape versions from Jeff Lee but only once on actual broadcast. It gave me goose bumps. I sucked, of course, it was my first time doing anything like that and I was weeks behind on the script (it was taped to "simulate" live but was somewhat scripted) and never saw one of my "lines" before just before we taped them....) Jeff nicknamed me "one take Wayne".... NOT... it was fun and I'd LOVE to get another chance someday to do "color" for a show out of there... Working with Tiger was also a real treat!! My interview with Lyle was the first thing I did on the show and the most enjoyable thing I've ever done at Reno!

Wayner
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Whoo Hoo! Just got the daily stats reports for traffic at rarebear.com and last night, it was more than DOUBLE the usual daily rate. The webstore joined up a few new "fan sponsors" also!

All in all, I'd say that the Windtunnel interview with John was a VERY positive thing for Rare Bear Air Racing!!

Now... if only SPEED will figure out that they would have the most unique race show in all of motorsport if they could negotiate with Reno to cover the races! Can you imagine it.... week long coverage... with breakin's on SPEED when something cool happened... live updates when the fastest qualifying runs happen.. Just like Indy used to be and still is.

Then on Saturday and Sunday, four hour coverage, tape delayed (due to the need to do this to be able to get all the races in) a few hours with ALL classes getting their races in...

How can this be very far from the realm of "dooable"?????????

It can't is the answer!

Talk about making it easier to get major sponsorship for the teams... give em this much coverage and when they present their annual marketing proposal to "big" companies, they'd get a bit more attention than they do now, that's for sure!!!

It could happen, this could have been the first move in a new deal for the racers and Reno!

Whomever got Dave Despain interested in this and helped get this going deserves a HUGE pat on the back!!

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Randy
                    Bravo for getting on the air...zero points awarded, however, because Penney didn't answer your question.
                    Thanks for the "zero points"....you are correct, however, I didn't specifically answer the question (live interview jitters).

The four blade prop is a lot more pilot friendly; a lot less vibration activity into the airframe and no gyroscopic forces to battle in the pylon turns. Since we didn't get a chance to do the comparative flight testing between the two before Reno, the jury's still out on whether we picked up any speed. Short answer: we still don't know if we're faster with the four blade.

By the way, since I didn't answer the question, does that qualify me to run for public office??...

Comment

All depends, did you vote to use the 3 blade before you voted aganist it?! Loved the segment on the RareBear....great job!

Comment

Originally posted by "Bear" Driver
                        Thanks for the "zero points"....you are correct, however, I didn't specifically answer the question (live interview jitters).
                        John, you did FANTASTIC, you plugged the bear site at least three times, the traffic to the site doubled yesterday from what it normally is and there were several orders that came through the web store directly after the show aired...

The reaction on the message board at my site, as well as at the SPEED site seemed to be very positive, I think you made a few new fans last night.

Now, if you'd have plugged aafo and nellis, jussssssst kidding....

As for jitters, man you good at hidin it, you looked like you do that stuff EVERY DAY man!

Job Well Done Mr. Penney Sir!!!!!!

Wayne
                        PS... I think Randy was actually razzing his brother Brad, rather than taking a poke at you.... those two, one went fighters in the AF, the other went multi in the Navy.... you can guess the rest ey....
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Mr. Penny, you did GREAT and thanks so much for sharing about your daughter. Now we all here at aafo.com and all around the country share in your pride about her. When we all say we love the men and women who wear our nations uniform it's makes me SO proud of the ladies like your daughter who were really right there on the front lines when were attacked. God bless her and all of our GREAT men and women that are protecting our freedom!

Comment

Well, I just watched the morning replay of your interview and your admission of "jitters" just proves you're human! Kinda funny when you think of a race pilot being fearless in the course of a race and getting nervous in front of a camera!

My thoughts are running much faster than my limited typing skills and I'm overwhelmed with excitement. I only wish I could express my admiration and respect for you and all the other racers properly! I'd be typing and retyping for an hour!

I sure wish I'd got a chance to shake your hand this year, especially after what was one of the finest races in Air Racing history. Next year for sure!

Oh, and I will be getting some hats and shirts from the RB site. Heck, I'd be glad to drive up there and purchase them from the crew directly! Kinda short on coin this year so, the fan sponsorship is a bit out of reach.

Like most guys that frequent this site, I hope your appearance generates enough interest to bring more sponsorship to the sport. You would be an obvious choice as an 'Ambassador' to airracing.

Go Fast, Fly Low & Turn Left!!!!
                            Gary Osif

Comment

PS... I think Randy was actually razzing his brother Brad, rather than taking a poke at you.... those two, one went fighters in the AF, the other went multi in the Navy.... you can guess the rest ey....

Hey, there's some serious service-pride involved here. After all, the Bearcat was a NAVY aircraft, and the old 3-blade prop came from another NAVY aircraft near and dear to my heart. Can't let Uncle Sam's Flying Club get ALL the credit.

I thought John did a fabulous job last night...moreso because it was live television.

I actually 'knew' the answer to the prop question before I wrote in...but I didn't know if anyone else would write or call, and I didn't want John to be sitting there with 'nobody' talking to him. I thought his reply to my question was 4.0!

And for the record.....not to take ANYONES thunder away, because the team and plane are near and dear to my heart, and Sharon Coates has done an amazing job running it....but I want a little credit where credit's due: The genesis of the Rare Bear Fan Sponsorship came from my wife. It was the result of a series of conversations between her, John Slack, and Mark K. a few years ago. And it was more of a "Well....why not? Why wouldn't it work?" kind of thing.

So I gotta admit...there is a little bit of personal pride involved to see the Bear make this kind of a come-back. Let's hope last night just boosted it even more!

Brad

Comment

What a great night of TV! Discovery channel showed the whole Rutan-Space ship one saga and then Wind Tunnel with the Bear team!

I actually got goosebumps watching and hearing the Bear on the course. And ohh didn't she sound good idleing on the ramp. Great footage-Great interview! Throughout the broadcast I kept saying outloud "this is so cool". My wife accused me of still being a little kid because I was so excited! But, then she said thats why she loves me.

A big thanks to John, the whole Bear team and Dave Despain for hosting the interview.

Also a big thanks to Wayne and everyone else on this board. If not for all yall I would not be up to date with all the race info. In fact I probably would have missed the interview totally.

Thanks,

David

Comment

Working...
                                X