No announcement yet.

New Message Board Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang sight better than the ol' prehistoric board. This format is used on several other forums that I visit (different topics)
    and it is pretty easy to use - even for newbies........

The registration process may scare some people away, though,,,,
    the other Wayne................

Comment

Originally posted by GWB
      The registration process may scare some people away, though,,,,
      It sort of does have a double whammy notification system in that it makes you click on a link to verify that you're who you say you are..

There's a very good reason for that though. We allow a sort of risky thing in allowing upload to the site. If we did not have some sort of method to track whomever would put up something, let's say, questionable or illegal, then we'd be both stupid and probably legally liable.

Just like this board also makes you click on a date link to verify that you are above the age of 13, which is legally a responsiblity for us under the newly passed COPPA regulations (Child Online Privacy Protection Act)

So all in all, in this litigious socieity we live in, it's probably ok and good that the board is a bit hard to register for.. Believe me, with the legalities involved, it was/is a hard call to even allow guest posting on any board.

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I unnerstand, but....

...a newbie faced with all those questions might get gun shy...
        the other Wayne................

Comment

Re: I unnerstand, but....

Originally posted by GWB
          ...a newbie faced with all those questions might get gun shy...
          Well hopefully if that's the case, they'll just play around for a while unregged. The "double whammy" reg thing is pretty common these days, partly due to the COPPA thing... There has been one lawsuit already that I know of on that issue.

I've never been a parent but watching the world around me, there's one thing I've become really sure of. I never want to be in a position to be in-between someone and thier child if they think that the kid has had anyone do anything that is outside the realm of acceptable..

We'd be shut down in a heartbeat if there were any sort of legal issues with this website. I know of one very prominent website recently shut down over a legal issue.

So, I guess it rings true, as always.. No matter where you go, there you are

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Love being registered

I must say I hung around as a guest for a few days and loved the board. I registared today and love it all the more. Makes me feel more a part of the whole sport. Love it

Comment

Re: Love being registered

Originally posted by MattB
              I must say I hung around as a guest for a few days and loved the board. I registared today and love it all the more. Makes me feel more a part of the whole sport. Love it
              Great! It takes a little getting used to, it's not quite the same to see what messages are new and such but it's pretty easy to keep track of it, especially if you have it email you when there are responses to your messages, or click the "view new messages" link on the upper right.

We do have a few visitors who are not liking it but we hope they get used to it.. We're sort of stuck with it. The old board is obsolete and does not work well, especially from an admin standpoint and this one cost a bundle and we can't afford to buy another one..

Glad ya like it!!

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: not fun.

Originally posted by BadIdea
                I think a complicated board like this is going to drive away the real air race people and leave you with nothing but web nerds like it did on the other board.
                I don't know about that. The premiere Radio Control website uses this exact program. (RCUniverse.com) They are past a million hits and thousands of members...I can't believe they are all web nerds. I know I'm not.

I love the new board, Wayne!!!!

Comment

Re: Re: not fun.

Originally posted by hattend

I don't know about that. The premiere Radio Control website uses this exact program. (RCUniverse.com) They are past a million hits and thousands of members...I can't believe they are all web nerds. I know I'm not.

I love the new board, Wayne!!!!
                  Yes!!

It'll make it.. it's only slightly less easy to use than the old board to the newb.. actually much easier once you're used to it. It is slightly harder to tell when there are new posts as it drops your "cookie" after a time period so they will not show as being new.. But, you can subscribe to any forum and new messages are mailed to you.. A handy feature.

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                  X