New Message Board Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Message Board Poll

Give us your opinion and suggestions, we'd like to hear them.

Wayne
    I love it!
    0%
    I like it...
    0%
    I don't care..
    0%
    I hate it..
    0%
    What's a Poll?
    0%
    What's a Board??
    0%
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Wayne,
    I'd like to transfer my vote to this mssg board and drop my ok on the other trial one.

Here is to fewer asprin,longer sleeps and surer smiles!

THANX again,

Mayday 51
    (Jim Gallagher)
    (chk dob,it's real!)
    Mayday51
    Jim Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by mayday51
      Wayne,
      I'd like to transfer my vote to this mssg board and drop my ok on the other trial one.

Here is to fewer asprin,longer sleeps and surer smiles!

THANX again,

Mayday 51
      (Jim Gallagher)
      (chk dob,it's real!)
      No problem! The other one had the right price... as in freebie but with a lot of the scripts that you can get free online for use on servers, often, you get what you pay for.

After spending about a day getting it all set up, we found that one, it would not always write to the sql database that runs these new forums (and that we spent a late night installing) and two, and really more importantly, it would not work in "safe mode php" which was even worse.

So we bit the bullet and bought this one which I use daily elsewhere to keep up to date on server management and know to be very fast and stable, and even more functional. (did ya see the nifty calender option?)

Thanks for the "ya did the right thing" vote.. it's never easy to spend money but this one will last for a while and the developers have a reason to fix things that don't work or crop up.. They get paid to do it!

Thanks again
      Wayne
      PS.. you are one whole month older than me.. old man!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar

PS.. you are one whole month older than me.. old man! [/B]
        ....I thought those creaking noises were familiar !
        Mayday51
        Jim Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by mayday51

....I thought those creaking noises were familiar !
          And here I was thinking it was my chair

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

it's great, clear and good looking.

nice work, as usual !

Comment

Originally posted by 52eme
              it's great, clear and good looking.

nice work, as usual !
              Well thankie but I really can only take credit for a few changes made to a purchased script and the setting up of the server to accept the new language and services (php and Mysql) This message board script has become pretty much the "industry standard" as of now, before php became popular, ubb (ultimate bulletin board) held that ranking and now it pales in comparison with what this thing will do!

I've always tried to make things work with "open source" projects, meaning they are free, but I've now found that the commercial products that someone is making a living from making/maintening are supported far better and are a breeze to install usually.

But.. I will bask in your good will and I'm really glad you guys are approving of this.. We bought it on a half price for a year's use plan, or if you like it and do it within 30 days, you can get the full unlimited use license thing for the other half.. Gonna keep her I think.. She's a goodie!

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Awesome... now get some sleep!

This is great Wayne. Well worth the pension spent!

Comment

Re: Awesome... now get some sleep!

Originally posted by Kraz
                  This is great Wayne. Well worth the pension spent!
                  LOL... Krazley.... Do you still think so when you look above your avitar??

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

about the calendar..

one more thing :

would it be possible to add events other than the member's birthdays on the calendar, ie racing related events ...?

Comment

Re: about the calendar..

one more thing :

would it be possible to add events other than the member's birthdays on the calendar, ie racing related events ...?
                      Yeppers, I think anyway. I'll have to log out as admin and create a new user to try it but I think I've got it set up so users can add anything they want. Go ahead and try it and let me know.

Wayne
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Re: Re: about the calendar..

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                        Go ahead and try it and let me know.

Wayne

It works fine, thanks for the help !
                        I enterd a private event but can everybody see it ?? or is it private ? (dumb question maybe.. )

Comment

Re: Re: Re: about the calendar..

It works fine, thanks for the help !
                          I enterd a private event but can everybody see it ?? or is it private ? (dumb question maybe.. )

Dunno.. My guess is not if it's a private event.. I'm still learning on this bugger, it's got a config panel that's about 30 pages deep!

After spending two days getting php and the database software running and then another day to get the trial board that did not work running, I was pretty happy to figure out how to get our graphic in there and change the background color.. figured out today how to get site links into the footer.. also figured out how to change all the site links to point to this board with one fell swoop...

Will check on the private, I can probably see it due to being "board god" but dunno about everyone else.

Fraid I'll screw up my cookies (that sounded indecent) if I log in as a non privledged user tho..

Wayne
                          PS (added by edit) I can see it and guess what.. if you are a regged member and put your bday into your profile.. it flashes across the screen or something on the day in question.. how's bout that for slick.!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

not fun.

I think a complicated board like this is going to drive away the real air race people and leave you with nothing but web nerds like it did on the other board.

Comment

Re: not fun.

Originally posted by BadIdea
                              I think a complicated board like this is going to drive away the real air race people and leave you with nothing but web nerds like it did on the other board.
                              BadIdea,

I'm really sorry you are finding the board a ... bad idea ... no punn intended

I realize it is a bit (well quite a bit) different than the old board but we simply had to lose that one for various reasons. Biggest being maintenence and security. There is/was a hole in the posting method used by that board that nobody seemed to be about to fix anytime soon and so we began looking at other formats.

This one is written in a much more efficient language and uses a very secure database system for information storage. The other board used simple text files and had little levity for pruning of posts to keep the files from growing too large or allowing back up in case we ever have to move the site again or, god forbid, are hacked or for some reason have a hardware failure or whatever of the million things that can go wrong.

We tried several boards (not in public trial) and decided on this one due to it being a front line product with good support and a paid staff to keep an eye on bugs and fix them when they are found and due to the features for both the users and for the administrators.

I do hope that our racing members are able to find the time to come in and post from time to time and I do not think that this board will keep them out, or at least we hope it does not.

One of the reasons we lost a lot of active participants who do race, Tiger for one, was because of the many topics of discussion on the single board that were pretty unrelated to anything of interest.. On this board, we can offer different sections so that nonsense can be where it should be and valid topics where they should be.

It also allows us to let you post images, even upload them to our server for those who do not have any web space of their own.

We sincerely hope that the features outweigh the complexity.. It is actually quite easy to post a message and registered memebers can click on the view new posts or opt to have replies mailed to them or subscribe via mail to various subjects so they are notified that there is a new message. All of which are just a single click to do and make it much easier to keep up with what is going on without constant checking for new messages. I have this board email me every time there is a message and it makes my life a lot easier.

Bear with it.. hopefully it will grow on you.

Wayne
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X