Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rare-Bear not out of the running

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I agree the Bear has been lucky in the past. I understand that the engine broke a piston skirt. This generally loads the engine and all its associated systems with alluminum and places stress on the master rod. If the master rod gets destressed it sheads its valuble silver which in this case it did from inside sources. They might clean the screens and ground run but if there was silver as indicated they are finished for this year. No exagerated story here.
    Actually, the word is that the engine did NOT break a piston skirt.

Stacy Thomas

Comment

Its been quiet for a couple of hours. Hows the Bear? Its driving me crazy not knowing. Does anyone know anything else?
      Jarrod

Comment

The Bear did several ground runs. No test flight performed however. Things don't look too good from this vantage point. Let's hope they have a spare engine up their sleve because I think this one has had it. How long does a engine change take anyway? Is it like a Mustang? I remember seeing Race 45 take and change their engine overnight. Surely the Bear crew as qualified as they are can do the same. Do they have a spare engine? Someone here indicated they did. Let's hope they throw that baby in and get the Bear back on the course. Do they have to remove the engine to replace the crank or can they change it like the car guys do? I am new to this so can someone help me here?

Comment

note to registered and unregistered visitors: This is a pretty sensitive thread, many eyes and hearts are watching it from the edge of their seats...

There are a TON of highly speculative messages coming in, particularly, from the unregged side.

I'm going to ask you to not say anything if you don't actually KNOW anything. Unregs, your messages simply will not be validated if they don't follow this guideline. Regs, I'll edit or delete as necessary...

A LOT of eyes watch the Bear and everything she does. There are people who will actually not attend Reno if she's not gonna fly for certain, I don't think that this website serves the best interest of ANYONE in air racing when we go too far with information that is not really validated. That's part of the suspense, with the Bearcat, unfortunately, it's all too often part of the suspense! But, it's always the way...

NOTHING you read here is official unless it comes from Sharon Coates or one of the other team members, either directly from them or via me..

So... take everything else with a grain of salt... as far as I know, the kitchen sink has not been found in the sump... god knows, everything else has, at least, according to this thread..

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne thank you!!!!!! As one who has been in the same situation as the bear crew is now I think we all should take a step back and let the crew do what it can. I so hope they will be ready on Friday until then let them do there job and Hope they can pull it off. Good Luck Bear!!!!!

Comment

I've planned all year to see the Bear - running or not. I'll be there. Godspeed Rare Bear!

Comment

unreg w/ crank Q,

.....the crank and master rod w/ slave rods are the first (virtually) peices into
                "the Barrel"....much different than an automotive engine....

.try a search for aircraft engine historical society....I think they had some good pics and descriptions that may help a bunch...
                Mayday51
                Jim Gallagher

Comment

"Where oil flows, metal goes....."

Comment

Last night the Bear crew was busy with the help of Mel Gregory famed engine builder removing the rear access to the engine to apparently removed blower gears that are suspect. Let's all hope that the gears are the issue here and not the Master Rod. They think they can bandaid the engine back so they can at least make the heat race on Friday. It sure doesn't look good. Let's all keep our fingers crossed for the Bear and the incredible dedicated crew. The race just wouldn't be the same without the Bear.

Comment

As of last night, the Bear crew pulled the accessory drive out of the back of the 3350. It has some scorched gears and some others that don't spin freely. The Bear is in its cave at flight angle, which is quite a site. Apparently the crew has "new" parts on the way to get the 3350 going again. They said they will be working through the night. Also, they have until Friday afternoon to get things sorted out. Actually they can skip Friday, win the silver on Saturday, and be in the gold on Sunday.

I'm sure they will give it all they've got because they don't know how to do it any other way and I wish them the best of luck.

Bill Pearce

My apologies for any incorrect or repeated info.
                      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Im a dego fan. BUT i want to see the bear in the air on sunday.it isnt air racing with out rare bear.ive been hoping and praying for bear.i whould love to see a exciting race on sunday. i think the bear will be there to give us that.(im no expert) lets all hope for a heathy field
                        www.renosection3.com

Comment

Section3 guy

Please..it's DAGO......

Red

Comment

You don't have to look any further back than 2003 to see the work ethic, skill level, dedication to a cause, and just really a top notch racing organazation! I mean than had a glitch or 2 then and they put on a spectacular performance all week long! So if anyone could make her ready, the Bear Crew will. I think from what I know, all the air racers don't get any where near the credit they deserve in the world of motor racing. So please get one of them to call Despain!

Comment

i hear the bear has a new blower! i cant wait till tomarrows race yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              www.renosection3.com

Comment

THe Bear is in the air! Rare Bear sounded good on a test flight this morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X