Monday Pix and Pit Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday Pix and Pit Fun

Well, gang.......Have a look. I tried to get most of the ones I missed yesterday and still can't come close to showing them all! I need a memory card so I can get more each day.

To give those who have never been here, I'll try to 'give ya the .50cent tour'.

When coming in the Pit Gate, the F1 and Bipes take up the entire first hangar on the left. Probably close to 20 of each by rough guess.

Directly across, on the right is a hangar full of RVs that run Sport.

The second hangar has most of the Sport Class planes(and a DC-3 outside this year!)

Across from the Sport hangar some of the Red Bull planes were gathering. The hangar they were in front of had the most varied asortment of aircraft imaginable! Everything from a Bell 47 to a Sukhoi! This place is more than just racing!

Hang a right and you begin your trip through the T-6, Unlimited and Jet Pits.

Lots of the hangars have something going on in them and on one of those side trips is the 'Bear Cave'.

The aroma in the pits is quite different than drags or roundy rounders. A mixture of fuels, oils, cleaners/degreasers, etc. If you are an airplane fanatic and love power and racing, you'll begin to believe you've died and gone to heaven.

F1 was just finishing up and Biplanes were launching. T-6 took the slow tow and soon they too were on the course. Mary, Warlock, Six Cat and others looked real good.

Then, Sport flew and those guys are impressive! Several would be taking off, several on the course and many orbiting high over the course, waiting their turn.

If you can use those scanners properly without transmitting or just hang out by those that have them, it's a treat!

When the Unlimiteds began to come out it was awesome. A few decided to try later but most of the planes flew. Imagine this, standing in the shade created by Dago Reds enormous trailer and having Ridge Runner doing his hi-speed run-up while Nemesis was taking off behind him.

The wind created some fun too! Racers had to use extra care since they were departing on 26 with racers on the course.

Dreadnaught had a backfire/miss in the engine. Rare Bear looked great and possibly developed a slight cylinder problem as we saw a faint trail of smoke as he pulled off the couse. Dago Red made a quick run and only needed one lap for his run on the clock. Sept Fury flew several laps and timed in I'm sure.

As Dago Red towed past me, I asked how they did and got a smile..."Oh pretty good!" Another of the crew was all smiles and said, "We're in and fast enough we won't need to race on Thursday!" While someone else stated they had them timed at 1:02.2 which was about 490-491mph.

I asked at Sept Fury camp how they did and got a big smile when replying, "We're happy!" Then he walked by and said proudly, "REAL happy!"

Gary
    Attached Files

Re: Monday Pix and Pit Fun

More.....
    Attached Files

Comment

And more.....
      Attached Files

Comment

Still more...
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the delay getting these posted ! I had a set of them hang up during upload and had to go grease out on a pizza!

Hope no one is getting tired of these!
          Attached Files

Comment

In answer to a private message I recieved(which I haven't discovered HOW to reply privately!)........

I don't have any info on the Bear but, he didn't call a Mayday and flew around the valley up high while a very small trail of smoke followed.

He flew more than just a cooldown lap, appearing to me as if he was monitoring/diagnosing the problem.

Gary

Comment

whew.....dont scare me like that talking bout smoke trails and all!!!...thx again for keeping us all informed. Great Job!

Comment

All you guys are great, I'm just loving this!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

went by the bear pit. They are scoping the engine and "fishing for chips" as the crew put it. Sadly, it Looks like it's a 2 plane race. Dago Dogs wanted the competition!!

Comment

Olney Texas huh....I don't hear that town mentioned very often. Most of my family is from the Olney, Mcgargle(sp) and Wichita Falls area.

Comment

Bears Out??????
                      Oh No!!!!!!

Comment

it's silly at this point to say that it is a two plane race. It is quite possible that they could identify and fix the problem. Quit spreading panic!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X