No announcement yet.

Just For Fun Poll Take-Off or Landing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just For Fun Poll Take-Off or Landing??

Just for the heck of it. Digging for some images and found this one so thought I'd see how sharp you guys are.. Is this airplane taking off... or landing??

One-Take-Wayne
    Attached Files
    Take-Off
    0%
    Landing
    0%

The poll is expired.

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Ahh this is fun!

Ok.. just to make it more interesting, this is the next shot in the sequence..

Are we having fun yet??
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

take off

as flaps are at 0° i would say take off..

Comment

landing

he is landing.
        the home pylon at stead field is just to the left of his left wing/ the perminant grand stands are off to his right .
        The dirt patch/ strip on the right hand side is the old launch and recovery site for the glider port that used to be there.
        The access road on the left side is the half way point of the main run way.

Comment

taking off

Or he could be taking off. in the next shot of the sieries he is well into the glider recovery strip, and past the access road.

Comment

another idea, as the pilot is looking straight ahead i think he must be taking off. when landing a taildragger with poor forward visibility, i find it easier to flare looking slightly sideways..

Comment

Taking off or landing?

52eme,

With altitude at landing attitude a "slip" is a good way to see were you are going in a tail drager but you would still be able to see over the cowling to a point.. How ever in these two photos his altitude is at a point were he would not be using the slip.
              Another clue, during take off the tail would come up while keeping the mains on the ground correct? In these two photos the tail is in the down position almost graging the tail wheel.
              Also the pilot is leaning into his restraints, straining to look over the cowling if you will. not a relaxed take off position.

Or he could just be taking off, I dont know. I am not a pilot, I just thought that I would be a smart ass and offer two opinions on the same post.

Comment

Re: Taking off or landing?

Originally posted by wolfee
                How ever in these two photos his altitude is at a point were he would not be using the slip.
                i did not meant "slip" when i said looking sideways..
                if you ever fly a pitts or even a cub from the rear seat, you will notice that you can't see anything in the front at landing attitude(especially if you have a tall & wide pax )

so we usually judge the flare height by looking sideways... because you have no other choice.

i guess warbird or race pilots probably do it the same way, with that big, long cowling in the front..

Comment

Being Tom's friend and crew chief for him the last couple of years, and knowing what he does during takeoff and landing, I would say almost positively that he is taking off. During landing, Tom almost always uses flaps. Also, this last year at Reno, the 2 times he flew Sam's airplane on the course, which he is is getting ready to do because Sam is not in the back seat, he landed both times with the canopy open!

Comment

Also, I would have to say that the photo was probably taken on Sunday afternoon when the course was open to practice. We qualified on Monday morning and did not fly after that!

Comment

Also,In regards to the tail position for takeoff, normally the tail would be up higher. But in this aircraft, because of the very limited ground clearance with the big prop, the takeoff is always in a tail low attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        Being Tom's friend and crew chief for him the last couple of years, and knowing what he does during takeoff and landing, I would say almost positively that he is taking off. During landing, Tom almost always uses flaps. Also, this last year at Reno, the 2 times he flew Sam's airplane on the course, which he is is getting ready to do because Sam is not in the back seat, he landed both times with the canopy open!
                        Is this the "other" Wayne?? If so... Howdy buddy!! Good to see ya here!

One-Take-Wayne
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I would say take off ...with a little bounce thrown in...
                          the other Wayne................

Comment

The Rest Of The Story

The UP'S have it...
                            Attached Files
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                            X