News is Good From Ione

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News is Good From Ione

I spent the day at the Eagles Nest and witnessed the first test flight of Dreadnought. Everyone should stand up and give these guys a huge hand for getting the silver Buick ready for Reno. The flight lasted 15 minutes and everything was in the green. Both Brian and Dennis were very pleased with the performance of the racer. More engine run-ups for September Fury today and she is set to start her flight testing program tomorrow. All the numbers for Fury were right on the mark and Michael is tickled. The racing bug has definately come full circle in Ione. We be racing Sea Fury's around here!!
    On a seperate note I heard they had another interesting day in the Dago Red camp. Perhaps Scott will fill everyone in soon.

Dave

Re: News is Good From Ione

All great news! Thanks Dave...

Neal

Comment

Awesome! Sounds like the Buick and the Hot Rod are good to go racing!
      Thanks for posting Dave.

Dago
      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
        On a seperate note I heard they had another interesting day in the Dago Red camp. Perhaps Scott will fill everyone in soon.

Dave

?????
        Scotty G

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
          I heard about an incident on the vintage-and-warbirds email list. Someone reported Dago Red flying, a very busy traffic pattern, fuel exhaustion and Skip making a dead stick landing. Can anyone substantiate this?
          Jeff Lo
          Biplane race #13 "Miss Gianna"
          Biplane race #6 "Miss Dianne"

Comment

Dago Red arrived in Reno this morning and is waiting for the crew.
            Race4Gold

Comment

PB,

Thanks for the long awaited news. We have all been holding our breathe. Looks like it is going to be another great year in Reno.

Anybody substantiate what is going on with Ron B? I hope they are all okay. I hope that it turns out to be nothing and we see him next week in Reno.

Comment

Skip had an "incident". The wing was "dinked", but as of 10:30 AM yeaterday(09-05-04), the clear-coat was being applied over the paint. As of noon today (09-06-04), the Dago is in a hangar in Reno waiting to race.

Comment

I just had a few startled visitors in my office as I jumped from my chair and let out a big "YEAAA BUDDY!" upon checking the board this morning.

This will be my first trip back since 2000, and I have been hoping this message would appear for the past month or more. Thanks for the GREAT news, and give all the crew that makes it happen a well deserved for me!

Jim

Comment

"Dago Red arrived in Reno this morning and is waiting for the crew"

Saw Cloud dancer in the sky Sunday afternoon. They're Heeeere.

Leo
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Does anyone know if 232 had a successful flight on Sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyinLo
                        I heard about an incident on the vintage-and-warbirds email list. Someone reported Dago Red flying, a very busy traffic pattern, fuel exhaustion and Skip making a dead stick landing. Can anyone substantiate this?
                        Yes - but as with most things, there is a lot more to this then can be said in a few lines of text. However, instead of droning on all of the facts and details - the biggest tribute to the success of the incident ending on a happy note lies in the ability of Skip Holm to turn a very bad situation around and do what he has done most of his life - making the impossible a reality. That boy is one of the best sticks around, and in all my experiences in the aviation field - the best that I have ever known.

And the same can be said for Team Dago.... after the main bearing let go during a test flight - the team investigated the cause of the problem, determined all of the issues involved, developed a plan of action to correct the issues, and went to work. In 14 days not only did the team remove the engine, replaced the bad bearings & crank - but also went over the entire Merlin with a fine tooth comb, relacing all parts that showed any hint of wear (a full rebuild/overhaul as it was), assembled the engine, put it back into the Dago, and had her up in the air once again. This is due in no small part to a team whose depth of knowledge and expertise reads like a who's who in the air racing fraturnity... Dwight Thorn, Bill Kerchenfaunt, Mike Wilton, Steve Bartoff, Dave Fagoaga, Danny Stout and many more who directly went above and beyond the call of duty to get that airplane back in the skies. Yes sir, it was the wrench warriors that saved the day - and on the same token, none of this would have happened if not for the dedication and "winning sprit" leadership of the man that binds it all together - owner, Terry Bland.

Yes, much of what happens during the weeks and days before Reno is an achievement in itself. In my book - everyone who makes it to the ramp at Reno is already a winner
                        Mark K....

Comment

yes they are here but i didnt see dego. i heard dego was in a hanger waiting for the crew to set up the awning (bummer) i saw a bunch of other unlimiteds it got my juices flowing
                          www.renosection3.com

Comment

Originally posted by Section3guy
                            yes they are here but i didnt see dego. i heard dego was in a hanger waiting for the crew to set up the awning (bummer) i saw a bunch of other unlimiteds it got my juices flowing
                            I have it on good authority that the Dago Team will start arriving today to start setting-up their pits
                            Mark K....

Comment

Working...
                            X