Dave Despain wants an interveiw!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dave Despain wants an interveiw!!!

Several years back, I would catch a replay of the Reno Air Races on ESPN. It was an hour long show and I remember seeing these for at least a couple of years. Does anyone know what happened to these airings? Was this back when RARA or somebody was paying to have coverage? These shows are what got me hooked into air racing. TV coverage is the best exposure anyone could hope for. The lack of TV exposure in dirt track racing is what is holding that sport back, and I'm sure its the same for air racing. TV would potentially bring new sponsors and fans to the sport. That can't hurt.

Comment

One of our crew members contacted the the folks from the "Wind Tunnel" show. As they say "Our people are talking to their people". Tentative schedule is for the Thursday, 7 Oct show, 10-11 PM.

John Penney
      "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team

Comment

John,

At the end of Windtunnel last night Dave promo'd his guests for next week and for Thursday it said "John Penney". I was totally blown away! What a great opportunity for you, the Bear Clan, and our sport in general! Good luck on the show, I'm sure that every one of us that has access to Speed Channel will be watching (and recording) the interview.

You, Lyle, and the entire Bear crew have every reason to be very proud of your accomplishments this year, and next year sounds like it can be even better! Congratulations to a truly deserving Champion!

Ken Fraser

Comment

Originally posted by "Bear" Driver
          One of our crew members contacted the the folks from the "Wind Tunnel" show. As they say "Our people are talking to their people". Tentative schedule is for the Thursday, 7 Oct show, 10-11 PM.

John Penney
          "Rare Bear" Air Racing Team
          Whoo Hooo! Sort of getting to "sit back and watch" this year.. the attention being diverted to air racing by media *does* finally seem to be turning a corner...

John, if this opportunity could net you some backing from the "bigs" it'd be the beginning of a new tomorrow for the team... I'm sure you know how to do media interviews but if you need any coaching, lemme konw and I'll get you and Jeff Lee together... he's a great director (made me look half way decent on the 2000 TV show that WoW did at Reno) he could likely spend a bit of time with you and give you some ideas on how to "control" an interview... or at least stay on top of the interviewer.. Good ones (interviwers) will take you exactly where THEY want to go an you'll hardly get your own words in there..

If you want to get in contact with him email me...

Fantastic, Fantastic, Fantastic opportunity! I wish we had a bunch of good video from over the past few years... the quest of the first fan sponsored major air race team is a story and should get told... I can do it in print (and plan to) but on TV, you'll hit the "X gen" guys and that's where we need to get the sport discovered....

We've got a bunchof "X geners" here on this board who are the lucky whom have found this crazy exciting sport, imagine if we tapped the rest! And into the marketing frenzy that gets spent on trying to reach them daily!!!

Want a new engine, wing mods, you name it??? I'm gettin goose bumps!!!

You guys certainly have the personalitys and the "story" enough to make at last an hour show.... if the Moto Art guys can get 6 or so hours out of their stuff (not taking anything away from them, their art and especially the mobile bar is one of my favorite Nellis moments) but... if they can get their hours... a smart producer would see the "stuff" there for coverage of your team as well... it's way different this year on cable.. $$ are getting spent on some different stuff... get to the right ear and it could happen!!!

I'm pumped, man am I pumped! Fantastic, just Fanfartastic!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Just in case some of you aren't familiar with Wind Tunnel, in John's post he said the program would be on from 10 to 11 PM. That is 10 to 11 PM Eastern Time.

At least on my cable system, the show is shown live between 7 and 8 PM Pacific time and then it is NORMALLY reshown from 11PM to Midnight. However, I just checked TV Guide for next week and it shows that there will not be any repeat broadcast that night (a NASCAR confilict of some sort). So, the live broadcast is all we have.

Comment

This is good news, hopefully there will be ample time. As with any live show, sometimes they run late on segments and the guest get shafted for time.

For a sport that seems to step all over its self in trying to promote the event (not anybody on this board), this is a great opportunity to get the word out.

Another appearance of the Bear at Oshkosh would do wonders also, but I realize that is one long trip for the team to make.

Comment

Just checked the Speed TV Schedule. The live broadcast is at the normal 7PM PST, then repeats at 9PM PST instead of the usual 11PM. Second repeat with John Penney's interview is on during it's normal time slot, 6AM PST Friday the 8th. And I just realized on the Speed page Penney is listed as the main guest!

John

7 OCT SPEED SCHED

8 OCT SPEED SCHED
                Last edited by John H; 10-01-2004, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Speed just showed a spot with Dave really hyping this up. He mentioned the canopy fogging on Dago etc.They also showed a short video clip, but I am not sure it was footage from this year. Either way, you can tell Dave is almost as excited about this as we are, and when he gets like that, the interview usually last almost the whole show Hopefully Mr Penny will get all the air time that team deserves.

Comment

Somebody IS going to record this, right? I just want to make sure, I don't get the Speed ch where I live (unless i wanted to spend about $80 a month on cable) and I'm outside the country anyway.
                    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                    My Photos
                    My Ride

Comment

I liked it when Despain said that he had just watched the boys meandering around Talledega at about 180 mph. He also plugged Air Racing as the fastest side-by-side motor sports in the world.

Comment

Maybe everyone is clear on this but it seems to me that there has been some conflicting info published here (some of it by me). As of right now the websites of Speed TV, TV Guide, and Direct TV are all in agreement as to when Wind Tunnel will be shown on Thursday. The times are:

Live Broadcast: 7:00 to 8:00 pm Pacific Time
                        Taped Rerun: 9:00 to 10:00 pm Pacific Time

Comment

I'm a regular Windtunnel viewer, there's also a second repeat at 9AM/EST/6AMPST the next day as there is every day. (Friday October 8). So in case your power goes out you have a third chance at getting this. I always prefer taping the live show so I don't have to read the screen "repeat programming warning do not call" for an hour. I posted about the show on Speed's Wind Tunnel board, and people that know nothing about air racing say they are going to watch it to check it out. I am so excited about this, for the sport and the exposure and getting to see it. It's fantastic!

John

Comment

Originally posted by John H
                            I'm a regular Windtunnel viewer
                            John, I just upgraded my cable today to get SPEED, actually I left it on there all day, race after race after race. I never really watched any of them, good background "noise" really tho!!

On the format for the show, will John Penney actually be in-studio, or will he be a call in interview??

I can't wait.. two more days. I've got a video capture card, I've never had the time to toatally integrate it. I don't have a decoder up in my office so I can only get to about channel 62 up here and SPEED is way up there. It would be very cool to capture this one, though, I'm going to have to leave it up to someone else this time..

Wayne
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Normally what Speed does for their main guests is they do a remote, Penney may be at a tv studio near his home, but they normally have the camera and satellite hook up right at the guest's house, rather than flying them out to Charlotte, where Despain is. Sometimes there are problems, and they have to get the guy on the phone as with Nextel Cup driver Matt Kenseth on Monday night. Oh and by the way, unlike ESPN, one of the flakiest networks I ever had to try to follow and watch racing on, (thank god almost all racing is gone from that place except for the NHRA) most Speed TV shows are on when they say they are going to be on. The Speed schedule on their website is always right.

John

Comment

I grabbed this from the SPEED message board...

"John Penney is Dave Despain's confirmed Wind Tunnel guest for Thursday, Oct. 7 (10 p.m. ET) from Reno Stead Airport in Reno, Nev. Penney is the pilot for Rare Bear, a Grumman Bearcat air racing place. He won the Unlimited Class at the recent Reno Air Races. He is also a Boeing 777 captain for United Airlines.
                                The interview will take place at the Rare Bear hanger at the airport. The airplane will be in the background and in the first segment of the interview, he will walk around with the cameraman showing us the airplane."

A bit further down in the thread someone askes about Tiger, and this reply was posted...

"Bill Destafani retired as a race pilot and Strega has been parked ever since. There is a rumor going around that Strega will return next year with a different pilot. I am guessing it will be Curt Graham, Hoot Gibson or Rhino Bill Reinschild, but have also heard T6 racer Al Goss mentioned as a stick for her next year."

~Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X