No announcement yet.

Darryl greenmayer f104 rb(red baron) ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Darryl greenmayer f104 rb(red baron) ??

there is one in the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville, Oregon. The same mueseum where the Hughs HK-1 is. (Spruce Goose)

Comment

Any updates on greenmayers red baron??
      What happend with wreck of the red baron when it crasht???
      Or any other jet fighter projects on it's way??

Comment

As my feable memory recalls, they were selling the pieces of what was left, encapsulated in Lucite, under "Own a piece of history"; through a Trade-A-Plane add....(don't get your hopes up)...
        The article I read at the time, might have been AW&ST, stated that on the run they "recorded" a 1010 mph pass, they blew windshields-out & trunk lids-off, of the vehicles used on the coarse, (for reference & depth perception), LOVE to see that footage. I think the inference at the time was the one of the "gate" cameras was affected by the shock wave, as well, and that was why they failed to get an "official" time.

Comment

And if greenmayer never crasht his red baron??
          What happend then more speedrecords??

Comment

Originally posted by MerlinV12
            And if greenmayer never crasht his red baron??
            What happend then more speedrecords??

Probally not. As I remember the tale, the thermal effects from the high altitude record was going to weaken the skin of the aircraft to the point of being unsafe. Probally been retired to static display at some museum. I would go see it.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

Since some of the parts were "loaners" (so to speak), it's possible that the plane would have been disassembled and the parts returned. The Smithsonian would have been a better choice though.

Of course, a what if situation is nearly impossible to predict, especially when the ever-working mind of Daryl is behind it (We might have been seeing F-104 pylon races by now..heh heh.....though the turns would have to be awfully wide!)

"And here come the leaders!....Starfighter #22 is in 3rd place and has just passed Carson City! The rest of the pack is still rounding the far turn in Las Vegas.....!"

Comment

Maby it be could the ultimate airracer.
                Red baron wins the unlimted gold heat with 15 minute lead !!

Comment

- 1962 February 21, world record for climb to 6,000 meters, 48.797 seconds at NAS New Brunswick, LtCol. W. C. McGraw USMC, pilot.
                  - 1962 March 1, world record for climb to 12,000 meters, 77.143 seconds at NAS New Brunswick, LtCol. W. C. McGraw USMC, pilot.
                  - 1962 March 3, world record for climb to 9,000 meters, 61.688 seconds at NAS New Brunswick, LtCdr. D. W. Norberg USN, pilot.

Hi MerlinV12,

The above info is correct all but for one thing. Brunswick is in Maine part of the USA not New Brunswick Canada. As for the records I have some of the photos from the these records.

The way they did it a NAS Brunswick Maine USA is they tied down the F-4s to the arresting cables and let the guys bring the F-4 up to Military Power and then set off a small exposive to release the hold. then they just jumped.

Cheers Rob R.

Comment

Can you post your pics of the record flights ??

Comment

Hello Forum,

Does anyone have any knowledge of a video chronicling the Red Baron (F104) narrated by Cliff Robertson? I remembering seeing this video in Reno when i was younger during the air race week. I have not heard about it since. I would love to see it again..

Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        Hello Forum,

Does anyone have any knowledge of a video chronicling the Red Baron (F104) narrated by Cliff Robertson? I remembering seeing this video in Reno when i was younger during the air race week. I have not heard about it since. I would love to see it again..

Thanks..
                        Are you sure you're not confusing that with the RB-51 3km record? Cliff Robertson narrated a show on that for The American Sportsman on ABC back in January of 1980. It followed the team to Mojave, through the speed record @ Tonopah, and then to Reno where they showed the wreck.

I have a poor quality recording of that show.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                          Cliff Robertson narrated a show on the RB-51 for The American Sportsman on ABC back in January of 1980. It followed the team to Mojave, through the speed record @ Tonopah, and then to Reno where they showed the wreck.
                          Speed-
                          Did they show any in-cockpit footage of the crash. There was a camera shooting over Steve's shoulder at the time, but it didn't look like the film survived. It would make the ultimate "Agony of Defeat".

thanks, Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
                            Speed-
                            Did they show any in-cockpit footage of the crash. There was a camera shooting over Steve's shoulder at the time, but it didn't look like the film survived. It would make the ultimate "Agony of Defeat".

thanks, Paul
                            No, no footage like that. They do have in-cockpit stuff from during the speed record, though.

Comment

but it didn't look like the film survived
                              not much survived.....I had problems even recognizing what was left of the griffon.
                              the other Wayne................

Comment

Originally posted by GWB
                                not much survived.....I had problems even recognizing what was left of the griffon.
                                Rumor has it, the data-plate survived, and the airplane is being "rebuilt".
                                Anyone out there know the status, and in what configuration it's being
                                built.
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X