No announcement yet.

Darryl greenmayer f104 rb(red baron) ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Darryl greenmayer f104 rb(red baron) ??

Check out the history on that F-4 in private hands, it took an act of Congress by means of an amendment to the Defense Authorization Bill of 1999 to allow the Collings Foundation to acquire its F-4 Phantom. Here is that link; http://www.collingsfoundation.org/tx_f-4dphantom.htm,, [i hope this link works],,

Comment

It's funny what you buy of ebay.
      This is whan of my favorite british jet fighters
      The english electric lightning a nice one for the jet class at reno.

Ex military jet fighters
      english electric lightning

Comment

There are several jet warbirds on the civil registry. For example in Ontario, Oregon a gentleman has a MIG 23 that was for sale a couple of years ago. it is 90% complete. I have some picyures of it sitting in one of his hangars.

Comment

My recollection is that he had an engine, but it wasn't up to record setting. The reports were that he had been "loaned" an engine for the record atempts.

The published plan was to get the speed record, and then, get the altitude record. The aircraft had some modifications made and the final flight was a test flight.

Apparently, there would be enough thermal effects that only two attempts could be made. If that was true, then the intentional crash may have been a little premature.

Hey, my movie is getting better and better. Lets see, if I start writing the script now.......

Comment

Believe it or not Sports Illustrated had quite a long and very good article about the RB-104 speed record after the plane was destroyed. I believe that Air Progress had quite a article about the jet also. I'll have to look in my files, but I'm quite sure that I saved those articles because it was such an unsusal event and I was a fan of Darryl G.'s racing. It was very cool!!!!

Comment

If you're going to do a movie....yeah, Greenamyer would be a fine subject. But I'd rather see a movie made on the life of Chuck Lyford. Now THAT would be a story that not even Hollywood would believe!

Comment

OK, I will show my ignorance. Point me to where his story is told.

Comment

Well, as Chuck said to me one day....."I don't want anyone telling my story until I'm LONG GONE."

But it's a story of a guy who sort of lived his own dream, on his own terms....race/aerobatic pilot, mercenary pilot (think Soccer War...with some no-sh&t victories....along with Bob Love), some CIA stuff, holds the rank of Colonel in a Central American Air Force, ran the first turbine-powered Unlimited Hydroplane team, owns/drives/races vintage F-1 cars, and lives in a 'pseudo' castle on the waterfront.

It'll be a good story some day. But until then, there are too many stories that need to keep on the q-t.

Comment

speed, i wish you could see the look on my face man, excuse me while i pick my jaw up off the floor.
                    heh heh alriiiight

Comment

I believe there's a Mig 21 that fly's regulary at Castle Airport in central Ca......owner also has a Mustang and I believe a Mig 15. There's also a Merlin powered 109 there.......I believe it's for sale too. I think Skip had it at Reno last year.
                      Brian

Comment

Re: Darryl Greenamyer f104 rb(red baron) ??

How many none military people can work on ex military jet fighters ??
                        Are any new red baron style jet fighter projects under construction??
                        Last edited by MerlinV12; 09-04-2004, 08:56 AM.

Comment

It not only comes down to avalible parts, but a person would need a mint of money to do anything off the cuff today. Look at Sprit of Amarica. Those guys are using basic establish technology and it's still costing a small fortune. But I love to see all those guys trying. It gives an airplane nut like me reasons to keep on reading and dreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by tex-fan
                            One more VERY important factor. Only the top sticks in the bussiness [like Skip H, John P, & Steve H] could pilot these supersonic monsters. I have a friend who is a former F-111 and B-1 pilot and he said he wouldn't strap on a MIG-21. . So I would say there will remain very few MIG-21s that will be air worthy for much longer. At the same time I hope I'm wrong, I love to see those type of air planes in the air.
                            I disagree totally. The USAF turns loose pilots with less than 300 hours _total time_ loose in F-15s and F-16s every day. Many high-performance military aircraft are actually very easy to fly in terms of stick-and-rudder.

The truth of the matter is that most civilian pilots just don't "think" or "act" at 300 knots, while military-trained guys have been doing it since their first hour in a military airplane.

The problem with the MiG-21 isn't that it is a tough airplane to fly -- it's that they're generally not easy to maintain. If your friend flew F-111s, that means he flew T-38s at some point in his flying career. Well, the T-38 is nearly identical to the MiG-21 in terms of performance and handling characteristics. There are hundreds of student pilots zipping all over the country in T-38s every day, and you don't hear about significant numbers of accidents....

So, the real key to this is simply proficiency. I can take most private pilots and teach them to fly and land the T-38 in probably 10 hours. Give me another 20 hours after that and we'll be doing formation and aerobatics. That's not the tough stuff, though -- being able to handle emergencies at that speed are. The tough thing is being able to handle the partial-electrical-out instrument approach through the weather whne your approach speed is 170 knots.

Anyway, off my soapbox.

Comment

Boy I thought it was a LOT harder than that. I think what you guys do in the air is almost god like, so naturally I thought is was really, really hard. I stand corrected by a LOT higher authority. Keep up the good work, and Randy a personal note; Thank you and all the great men and women like you of our GREAT armed services for what you do for all of us every day.

Comment

Originally posted by tex-fan
                                Thank you and all the great men and women like you of our GREAT armed services for what you do for all of us every day.
                                Amen to that, brother!

Comment

Working...
                                X