No announcement yet.

Darryl greenmayer f104 rb(red baron) ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darryl greenmayer f104 rb(red baron) ??

Has any one pics or videoclips of this homebuild jet??
    Any info or specs on this Jet??

Re: Darryl greenmayer f104 rb(red baron) ??

Good pics and narrative in the 1977-78 Racing Planes & Air Races by Dusty Carter...for whatever that's worth.

Comment

When I worked at Lockheed Missles and Space in the late 80's, I had a senior engineer call me a liar when I told the story of the RF-104. He said could never happen, wouldn't happen and the whole idea was ridiculous. Since I was a consultant, I withheld my opinion of him. I could not find my own documentation, a story in the old "Western Aviation" magazine. At least thats what I think it was called. I could have one a pretty good bet if I would have had that story.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

Well, the story does/did seem improbable, considering that the Air Force even told Greenamyer that he did NOT have an F-014.

But the thing was built up over the course of several years from the junk/wreckage of several airframes. And it made attempts at the low altitude speed record both in '76 and '77. Both times the timing equipment malfunctioned, negating the 'really' fast runs (which I believe was something over 1010 mph). The official record was set at 988, if I remember right.

It was, of course, destroyed in early 1978 while practicing for an attempt at the world altitude record.

Comment

It´s a hotrod jet !
          A cool project for the winter.
          And can you fly it a at full speed whan is jet sports aircraft.
          Cay you buy a jet fighter today.

Comment

Nice kit there.

I customized a Hasegawa 1/32 Starfighter about 10 years into the RB-104. I think it's still on display in the cases at the Planes of Fame in Chino.

Comment

The 1978 Air Race program had a story on it, including a photo of it VERY low. When it first rolled out, (76-77) there was a two page picture of it along with the RB-51 and a kit car in Air Classics. There was also a blurb about the crash later in the "Warbird Report" section.
              Mine are still packed or I'd look for it.

Leo
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

If my memory is correct, the fuseloge(sp) was a non flying test fixture that Lockheed had to test the gun mountings and perform test firing. Since it wasn't intended for flight, all of the rivets had to be drilled out and redone properly. If I remeber the story, he did get credited for 999mph for the record. The mentioned instrumentation problems cost him the over 1000 mph prize. Hell of a story. I think the whole thing would make pretty good film.

But then, the Air Force wouln't believe it. Oh well.

Dan Plunkett

Comment

Funny it's homebuild jet i think that is funny.
                  Junkjard jet 1600 mph(2560 km/h)!!

Comment

It may be just rumor or fiction, but one story I heard in the '80s was that one or more parts required to complete the plane were "improperly acquired". These part(s) were still considered proprietary technology, or at least were items never released by the USAF back then to be sold to the public.

After Daryl set his record, he climbed to altitude and bailed out INTENTIONALLY, leaving the plane to crash and be totally destroyed. His official reason for jumping was that he had a landing gear failure. F-104's don't belly-land very well (BIG understatement)...

Afterwards, he pointed out the smoking remains and told the AF personal, "OK, go ahead and point out your part(s)", which they could no longer do so or lost interest in doing so due to the total level of destruction.

It's most likely just sit-around-the-campfire bull and has no truth to it, but I though I'd at least mention the tale. I heard it so long ago, and the "facts" may be distorted and/or incorrect.

Let me do a little research ( Google...speak to me!)

-->There's a small mention of the plane on the following web page that seems to lend a LITTLE truth to the story, or at least might explain how the fable came into existance:

The aircraft was a combination of pieces from various sources. The forward fuselage was from a ground test rig, rebuilt by Darryl and his crew. The tail section was from a F-104G and I think the wings were from the same source. Yes, it had no speed brakes. Darryl swung a deal with NASA and managed to get the reaction control system off one of the NF-104s that was on a pedestal at Dryden. The engine we now know came from the US Navy - the Air Force did its best to keep him from getting one, but the Navy loved what he was doing. Its just a shame that Darryl had to punch out of it.

...And this webpage also mentions something related to this story:

Several years ago an adventurer and conspicuous consumer of aviation, named Darrell Greenameyer (can't swear to the spelling) built an F-104 out of surplus parts. The US Air Force, which has a regulation against selling surplus jet fighters to civilians was livid, but his airplane was a strictly legal homebuilt experimental aircraft. (Hey Brian Toedtli, listen up). He used it to assault speed and altitude records, but it was finally destroyed in a suspicious accident that suggests the federalies made him see the light somehow.

Has anyone else heard the "suspicious crash" story before? Can you clear things up or correct me please?

-------------------------- PHOTOS, ETC. ----------------------------

Ramp shot (see "DG's Red Baron"):

Another ramp shot (cached web page - bottom of page - larger photos no longer available):

bit of RB info and a photo of the pylon-mounted display jet that parts were "borrowed" from:
                    Get fast and reliable internet services for individuals, businesses, and organizations. Our high-speed internet, email, and web hosting solutions are designed to meet your specific needs. Stay connected to the world with our seamless connectivity.

Nice drawing or painting of the RB in flight (shows the underwing paint scheme):

That's about all Google has found for me.
                    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 12-22-2011, 06:04 PM.

Comment

How many ex miltary jets are used private sports jets??
                      I like the older jet fighters like the starfighter f4 II etc.
                      A what is about the current jetfighters f15 f16 f18 are we gonna see them ever as a private jets ??
                      How many kilogram's can you strip of a plane like the starfigther??

Comment

According to ;http://www.warbirdalley.com/acft.htm,,,there are 3 F-104s in private hands. And 2 of these preform at airshows regularly. Their website is; http://www.starfighters.net/,,,,and Westernair Inc. (505)842-4444 (505)842-4446 has a really nice F100 supersaber for sale right now. I sure can't afford it. [heck I couldn't buy the fuel for it] but I'm sure some body will buy it and have a ball in it.

Comment

The just the cost of Maintaining a F-15 or F-16 would break ya. They take quite a bit of upkeep. They break just sitting on the flightline!

Comment

Even if you COULD get your hands on an F-15 or F-16, imagine how hard it would be to get replacement parts and service for them. Such part and service companies may not want to serve a civilian market, due to the liability issue.

As far as getting an F-18, I already posted an Ebay link to the only one(s) I am aware of (I think they have two for sale).

F-4's? I haven't seen any of those in civilian hands yet.....So many are being used for target drones...I hope a few survive besides the museum pieces.

EDIT: According to the site Tex-fan posted, one F-4 is in private hands.

Speaking of tex's link, I couldn't get it to work until I clipped off everything to the right of ".htm"

Here's a working copy of the link:
                            http://www.warbirdalley.com/acft.htm (That's a good site Tex-fan...thanx for the link)

Comment

If you are at 4SD on Sat/11,you can see a F-100D fly in for the Rolls Royce Heritage Trophy Competition.

Comment

Working...
                              X