Houston, We May Have a Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Houston, We May Have a Problem

It happens and has happened and will always happen with internal combustion engines. Particularly if you are racing them. You'd think NASCAR would have it perfected by now. All they perfected was a restrictor plate. Are we running restrictors on the Merlins? I reckon not. Restrictor plates ain't racing. Welcome to Reno Air Racing. The Fastest Motorsport in the Galaxy.
    Them boys what straps their buttocks in them cockpits is what made Reno a success, all the way back to Cleveland. A few died along the way, engines be damned.
    The experienced and the quick survive.
    Skim Holm flew jets in 'Nam 30 years ago.
    I reckon he's a gifted man at the stick and rudder.
    So what's a few crankshaft pictures compared to some grave markers and an epitaph.
    Hank

Comment

Re: Houston, We May Have a Problem

I spent some time this weekend with Skip Holm and Dago did in-fact have an engine problem that is being worked out. Skip said that after several test flights the oil temp spiked in the overhead while returning to land. As reported earlier in this thread the problem was one of the main bearings was coming apart. They immediately removed the engine and sent it back to the shop for repair.

Skip did not seem to be worried about it and he said that they expect the engine back early this week, and the team will have it re-installed for him to test fly again possibly as early as this Friday.

Comment

Working...
      X