Voodoo At Reno 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Voodoo At Reno 2004

But I thought Bob Button wasn't racing Voodoo this year.

Comment

He's not. Curt Brown will be handling race duties for Voodoo this year. I was speaking of Button flying the a/c at any other time during the year.

TPS

Comment

So the racing canopy is on Voodoo?

Comment

No the racing canopy is not on the plane now. It's not something can be done in a day. Somewhere, I think on this site there was photos of the canopy swap.
          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

The racing canopy looked beautiful, but looks and speed are one thing, and money is something all together different. I can really see Bob's decision to put the stock canopy back on. It's still a slick racer and can win Silver or place very respectably in Gold. Plus, Voodoo has better visability for the other 360 days of the year. If anyone has Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2002 or 2004, you can find Voodoo in her present form on Flightsim.com and you can fly her yourself. The "new" stock canopy works great in those games. I've flown her all over the world, and I still have room enough to get some coffee, go to the bathroom (or loo when I'm flying over England), or get another beer!

Race 29
            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Skip matt Skip Matt, Obviously someone does not understand horsepower. Voodoo never had a chance against the Thorne engine. While Hovey builds a great engine Matt had 40 inches less MP. That is about 5-600 less HP The airframe is as clean as any racer apparent to Matt's great lap speeds last year with a 80 inch motor and stock canopy. His course was perfect during all his heat races as all his speeds were within a few mph race after race. He finally broke a defective rod bolt on Sundays gold. Nothing like the misinformed making misinformed statements.

Comment

Different strokes for different strokers, my friend.

Given a choice between the two pilots, well....I have my personal beliefs. Uninformed? Yeah, well, whatever. But as a close friend of mine once said, "I wouldn't let (insert your choice here) fly my Bonanza, let alone my Mustang!" Good thing my opinion doesn't need your approval, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  Nothing like the misinformed making misinformed statements.
                  Nothing like an anonymous post. You could be as misinformed as the rest of us sofa jockeys.

Don Hatten
                  Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

Originally posted by hattend
                    Nothing like an anonymous post. You could be as misinformed as the rest of us sofa jockeys.

Don Hatten
                    Rare Bear Fan Sponsor
                    Don, you took the words right out of my mouth. I was reluctant (as always) to approve for post this "anon" message due, not so much the content but the "tude" it's sort of antagonistic and begs a harsh response.. which is known as "flame baiting" most of the time...

I suspect, in this case, which is why I let it by, it's a racer who does not want to be known...

however. To the unregged/annons out there... a request...join up, you can go by a code name, we'd rather know who you really are but if you are consistantaly, say... "this annoying guy" or "that devils advocate" then, at least, we get consistancy... Some of your friends will know who you are and your posts do not have to be approved first (unregged/anons do)

Carry on..

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
                      Hi,

How is it possible that VOODOO is so much slower than Dago ? VooDoo is so sporty looking.

JT
                      Simple:

Looks never made anything go fast.

Not to detract from Voodoo, but the level of detail applied to Dago Red is second to none except perhaps Dreadnought. It takes years, dollars, and even some good luck along the way to reach that level of refinement. The luck bank often came up empty for Voodoo. Frankly, I really admire Button for sticking with it after all the bad luck the plane has had. It would have been real easy to walk away a whole lot of times.

Comment

Voodoo Pilot for 2004.
                        Forgive me if this has been discussed before,.. but I was just wondering about Matt not flying Voodoo this year.
                        Does anyone know why the pilot change, and if will be Matt flying anything else this year?
                        Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                          Voodoo Pilot for 2004.
                          Forgive me if this has been discussed before,.. but I was just wondering about Matt not flying Voodoo this year.
                          Does anyone know why the pilot change, and if will be Matt flying anything else this year?
                          Dave.
                          Dave,

I think I heard "officially" early on that Matt had decided that he needed more time to concentrate on catching up with his business. I think I remember hearing something to the effect that "it doesn't look very good to a guy who is waiting on his airplane to see his mechanic flying around at Reno having a good time" ...... or something like that.....

Matt... wake me from my dream and set me straight if I'm remembering something that happened while I was asleep and I'm asleep a lot lately!

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Thanks for the up-date Wayne.

And to MATT,.... Hi from AeroTech Precision Welding & fabricating in Rockford. Best to ya, what ever your plans are.
                            Dave.

Comment

Bob Button had indicated at the close of last years race that he was intending on racing Voodoo himself. This was a slight change from our original 5 year race agreement. As usual the Golden rule is in play and he had again changed his mind to go in a different direction. I don't blame him though as racing is a pretty expensive proposition and he has certainly spent some serious coin. When he did not show up in Voodoo at rookie school (Voodoo not flying yet) he decided on qualifying in the L39. He contacted me shortly after rookie school to inquire if I had any interest in racing Voodoo on a 60 inch manifold limit. Since I have graced every position in the unlimiteds except 1st I decined not wanting to go on a course tour to sell tee shirts. My original contract (handshake) was for an all out race program for five years starting in 2000. Since that has changed dramatically I decided to step aside and have someone else fly. My recommendation was of course Kurt Brown who is more then qualified to race at Reno. In regards to Voodoo's speed. Voodoo except for mouse motors in 1998 (fluttered elevator)/1999 (broken oil line) has never had a chance in competeing with Dago or the Bear (Wayne's favorite) While she is slick, horsepower is the answer. Voodoo was capable of 470 laps speeds in 2000 with the Hovey motor and would have done well in 2001 had we not blown up the engine in testing on a (bad load of fuel and terror attack). It appears this year that with the field thinning with the loss of racers like Critical Mass (not coming), Voodoo (cruise power), Dreadnaught (no motor yet), Brown racer (no motor yet), Risky Business (all apart),Checkmate (for sale) Furias (not coming) and others the Bear might have a chance to win again, if Dago does not show (spun main bearing) What a race!!!!! Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck and God's speed to all the racers. In regards to American Spirit funding has been secured. A deal has been struct with Sanders aircraft to complete the aircraft. Details are being worked out at this time on time frame and where to get the engine done. More information to come. In the future if anyone has any questions they want answered about Matt Jackson or Voodoo/American Spirit, I suggest contacting Airworks6@msn.com

Matt J

Matt Jackson

Comment

Just checked the Voo Doo web site and saw that it is "alive and purring again". With additional information about "much needed test runs". Good news with not much time left. www.VooDooAirRacing.com

Any new news on Dreadnought or Sept Fury???

Comment

Working...
                                X