Yak 11 spotted In Spokane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yak 11 spotted In Spokane

"it's all but assured we'll all get to see this aircraft in the upcoming 1998 Reno Air Races"
    That should be a more memorable quote...
    Seriously though, the 3350 reference was for the Sea Fury. On a side note, the debut of Mr. Awesome was my first time at the races, I was 13. Skip stopped and talked to me for a while about the plane and I was hooked. I've been hooked on round engines since then too. There were a bunch of super-modified that year - Super Corsair, Dreadnought, Blind Man's Bluff, Furias, and Rare Bear in addtion to Miss Ashley II, Tsunami, Dago, Strega, Stiletto, White Lightnin', a gaggle of P-51's Sea Fury's, Yaks a P-40 and a Fiat!
    There was even a picture of my dad and I in Air Classics, taken from the top of the Strega (?) trailer. Can you imagine that field today?
    Chris

Comment

The Yak-11 in the pictures belongs to Bill Sheperd out of Diamond Point, Washington. Won't be racing at reno, but it is an 1830 powered yak-11.

Comment

chris, what year was this? miss ashley II didn't make her first appearance until 1997? was it in 1988, because the forerunner to ma2 (vendetta) was there for its one and only appearance.
        heh heh alriiiight

Comment

GEEZ Betty! You are everywhere! Of course we will enjoy seeing them flying around. There appears to be a T-33 in Blue Angel garb giving rides today out of GEG. I've seen him take-off about 4 times. The Thunderbirds are supposed to do their practice show at 1300, in about 20 minutes. They will be a few miles away, but maybe I'll get lucky and they'll do a pass over the airport. I'll have the ol' camera ready just in case.
          Originally posted by ShermB
          On second thought, if the Yak isn't one of our three, it could be Sam Richardson's Yak. He has been one of our members in the past, and has raced at Reno.
          Betty
          Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Hi Bill,
            Didn't I tell you I like airplanes? See, I am more than just a pretty face or a NAGging woman.
            Betty

Comment

Matt, '87. I was combining two years and two planes. '87 was still an impressive field.

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
                [B]Just missed the Sea Fury (:-( as he was taking off too far from me.

What Sea Fury was that, Bill? 'Getch' had #105 down at Pasco for the "demo" air race this weekend. In fact, there were several 'former' racers there...Chuck Hall, Greg Anders, and John Bagley all had their Mustangs there.

BOTH kinds of Unlimiteds on the same weekend. Who could ask for more. Betty Bear, Griffonsrule, and Griffon Girl can attest to that. Wish you could have made it, Bill. You too, Barb, Warren, and Goss. Maybe next year.

But, as the Dumpster Diver so keenly observed, "Man, we need Dago Red here to make a pass...."

Comment

Working...
                X