No announcement yet.

Will Wildfire Be ready for Reno 2005?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Wildfire Be ready for Reno 2005?

WILDFIRE that I refered to is involved in an AIRRACE and if they are
    winners first place money is better than TEN TIMES what RARA is
    paying in the unlimiteds this sept.
    While Brian Feeney and his crew do not have Charley Beck's savy
    around the pylons they have come up with a craft which they hope to
    walk off with first place in their airrace ! Their WILDFIRE should climb to 24000 feet much slower than the R-2800 WILDFIRE, but from there
    on go much higher and faster than the R-2800 powered aircraft...they hope! IF THEY ARE SUCESSFULL IT WOULD BE A REAL "HOOT".
    fOR MORE DATA...www.davinciproject.com

Comment

WILDFIRE that I refered to is involved in an AIRRACE
      Wouldn't "space race" be more accurate? Either way, I wish the DaVinci team the best of luck, and may her pilot return safe and unharmed.

It currently appears that the SpaceShipOne team may win (scheduled to fly first), but if any problems arise, the DaVinci Wildfire should have a good chance of taking the prize.....I'd feel more confident for them if they had done a test flight as their closest competitor did.

Regardless of who wins, I see some exciting times ahead of us.....Wonder if I will be too old by the time the up-and-coming passenger flights become common and cheap (currently in my 40's). At least my kids may get a chance to experience what Alan Shepard felt so many decades ago.

(By the way, good article about the DaVinci Project and their new sponsor at SpaceFlightNow.com)

P.S.....why not register and avoid some of the confusion? Sounds like you have quite a background.

P.P.S.....I back-tracked through this topic, but could not find the post that Alaskaracer was referring to.....was it removed?

Comment

I was referring to a post where he posted the website for the Wildfire X-prize plane.

Comment

A third X-prize contender had an unfortunate event today.....luckily only hardware was "injured"....

Portion from the article...

...A team taking a low-budget stab at the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private manned spaceflight suffered a setback Sunday, when their rocket malfunctioned and exploded after shooting less than 1,000 feet in the air.

No one was hurt in the test of the Rubicon 1 just south of Olympic National Park. The 23-foot-long, 38-inch-diameter spacecraft held three dummies simulating the weight of astronauts.

The full article can be found at:

The vehicle's home page can be found at:

Comment

Are you sure about that Space.com URL? It doesn't work for me.

This one works: http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...sh_040809.html

Don

Comment

Maybe they don't allow linking to article pages...Not sure.

Here's a link to the front page of Space.com. You can see a link to the article there:

Get the latest space exploration, innovation and astronomy news. Space.com celebrates humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.

(look for "Washington State-Based Ansari X Prize Contestant's Spacecraft Explodes")

There's photos of the event in the Seattle Times:

Comment

Working...
              X