Rare bear Modifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare bear Modifications?

Any word as to the modifications done to Rare Rear this year besides the 4 blade prop. Such as possibly extending the front edge of the wing.
    Jarrod

Re: Rare bear Modifications?

The major work done this year was mostly engine stuff, wing mods are being studied but are still in the research phase.

Elliott
    STRESS

Comment

What? I'd heard rumors that we were close to seeing the world's first LearCat!

Comment

Really Randy ?

Any pics. Who are behind this venture...testflown yet...cutting metal...or is it just a wild dream on a paper ?

I could check it out an give comment..not necessary like the one below.

regards,

Juke T
        Last edited by First time Juke; 07-18-2004, 02:08 PM.
        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

juke, read elliott's post again and you'll find your answer
          heh heh alriiiight

Comment

how would a mod like that be paid for? It seems any money made at the races or from fans has to go towards keeping the engine happy, insurance, fuel, etc.. No offence but I think the crew needs to pay full attention to the engine and other systems of the aircraft to get them working properly and reliably before they start thinking about anything else. For the last 5 years no team has really even pushed Dago. Last years hot laps of 513mph were done so at only 110 in. map, thats a little scary considering the engine is capable of 140+. It would be very hard to beat them unless you get all systems running perfectly. Keep in mind that the low oil pressure that resulted from a broken oil line a couple weeks ago could have caused problems that will show up later on even though it didn't seem to damage the engine at the time. Anyway, just my .02

Comment

Juke: I think in the US, we'd say that Randy was speaking "tongue in cheek" rough translation would also be "pulling your chain" or kidding, jokin ya... Can't think of anything that would directly translate into Finnish..

Bossman: I'm certainly far from expert but have overheard enough on the aero mod subject to feel able to interject a bit into this conversation.

If they can slick the airframe/wing, then the engine has to make less horsepower to achieve a given speed. The Mustangs are much cleaner than the Bearcat, so can get to speed with less horsepower. The more the Bearcat can do to match the slick of the stang, the more chance she has to get the upper hand on any given day and walk away with a healthy engine.

On the damage/no damage, I guess we can just all cross our fingers but, I think the guys in charge there would check deep enough to be able to tell if any damage happened, also, John would know what his power settings were when the low oil pressure happened...

These guys are NOT shade tree mechanics and have earned the respect of some people that I highly respect as the best in the business... I think the Bearcat will be ok... just my unasked for $.02

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I understand why they want to do aero mods but if the enige and systems don't work properly it doesn't matter how slick your plane is. The bear has won in previous years on hourse power and if they want to win again they will have to produce reliable HP.

On subject of the engine being damaged, I'm pretty sure they didn't take the engine off the airframe and go through the blower gears. I don't doubt the crew as mechanics, its just hard to tell what kind of wear was put on the engine in a situation like that. Just hope for the best.

Comment

The oil pressure only dropped it did not lose pressure. but i will tell you this much, the case is being opened up right now to allow for a through inspection of the inside of the motor. So far the inside is clean and if all goes well we should have the motor put back together in 2 weeks. I ensure you that everything that can be done is/will be done to ensure the health of the motor. The engine shop has a crew coming to reno who along with the bear crew will ensure that all is well up front. More to follow.

Elliott
                  STRESS

Comment

I agree with Wayne. If you get a longer engine life because of a somewhat expensive modification it would be much cheaper than a new engine. They don't have enough monew for a new engine.
                    Jarrod

Comment

jarrod, bossman was't suggesting getting a new engine (though that is always a concern) but making the one they have now reliable. there are problems with the bear's engine that need to be worked out before they can do mods, like bossman said, there's no point in having a really slick airplane if your engine doesn't work right. besides, to my knowledge it's not certain whether new mods will even help with reliability, atleast that was one of the questions being asked when i was with team rare bear.
                      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                        What? I'd heard rumors that we were close to seeing the world's first LearCat!

Dang. That means that that Mustang-winged Learjet from a few years back might get a Bearcat-winged stablemate?

Comment

Originally posted by matt
                          there are problems with the bear's engine that need to be worked out before they can do mods.
                          Uhhaa... mind me asking what those "problems" are Matt???

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

the ones that have already been mentioned. there's some foul up in the carb from what i've been told.
                            heh heh alriiiight

Comment

I thought the carb prob was just during the ground runs? I think they already got it solved and the Bear was flying until the cracked oil line caused the current downtime from flying.

Comment

Working...
                              X