Mk XIV Spitfire in 1949 Thompson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk XIV Spitfire in 1949 Thompson?

I recently picked up "RACING PLANES and AIR RACES Vol 4" and It shows a picture of a Mk XIV Spitfire and says it was qualified as an alternate for the tompson. Pilot was Flight Lieut J.H.G. McArthur, RCAF. Does any one have any more info on this aircraft, or any pics.
    thanks.

Re: Mk XIV Spitfire in 1949 Thompson?

the aircraft is currently in Vancouver BC Canada..complete
    restoration..imaculate....lots of good stories out of the '49
    Cleavland Races....the aircraft was sponsored by Imperial
    Esso...after the races while the Spitfire Group..were celabrating at the awards banquit a minor partner .apparently flew the plane to Miami and sold it
    for $1000...word is that his partners are still looking for him!!!!!
    Prior to Cleavland it was last in Edmonton Alberta and some of the
    locals who were children in the '40s can recall ice skating in a hanger with
    a flooded floor to make a rink and a Spitfire sitting in the corner.
    One of the aviation magazines ran a stroy on the restoration within
    the last couple years.
    The present owner aalso has the only new ground up restoration
    of a mosquito in the world...I don't belive he has flown it yet.
    Someone from the Northwest or BC should be able to add to this.

Comment

Says in my book "It was the first time since 1936 that the Cleveland, Ohio-based National Air Race Committee had allowed a foreign-build airplane to enter its pylon contests"-Griffon Powered Mustangs-
      It was nearly stock. qualifying average speed 370.110mph earned him $100 and #6 spot for Tinnerman Trophy Race. This also qualified it as an alternate for the Thompson Trophy Race. It was fast but the top qualifyer was by Dick Becker in a Goodyear F2G Corsair at 414mph. James McArthur finished Third in the Tinnerman Trophy Race behind Ben McKillen and his Corsair with an R-4360 and Wilson Newhall's P-51K. Third place prize was $1050.
      I got this From RACEPLANE TECH Series Volume 1 Griffon Powered Mustangs By A. Kevin Grantham and Nicholas A. Veronico Published by Specialty Press

Jarrod

Comment

Based on it's qualifying position it was the alternate for the Thompson.
        It is a pretty speedy time for a Spitfire XIV compared to the MOF entry at Phoenix. Of course it was almost new, and run wide open.

Comment

Fortunately this Spit, TZ138, is alive and well with Bob Jens in Canada. A full history of the airframe can be found here:
          The Supermarine Spitfire registry follows the history of all Spitfires that survived military service.

Go here for a pic of how she looks today:

Comment

Talk about instant information! GREAT REPLYS.
            Can anyone come up with anything similar on Bob Jens Mosquito.
            I know it is a "ground up rebuild", with all new wood, and parts from
            an X-Spatran air survey aircraft out of Ontario. I belive that some work
            was done by a Canadian Air Cadet Squadren in Ontario. Other parts came from a Mosquito that sat behind the Holliday Inn in Mexico City?
            this would have been in the late sixtys, This also was a X-Spartan aircraft I think........more info??????????
            thanks

Comment

Thanks for the info. Very interesting stuff. Are there anymore pics of this aricraft in the racing scheme, or is the one I have the only one?
              thanks for all the replies.

Alpine

Comment

how's this?

heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Excellent pics. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X