Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did they change the course last year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did they change the course last year?

Last year they changed the Unlimited course and that will throw off all of the statistics and records of the past races. For many years it has been the same course so why the change? I'm guessing they wanted to improve the speeds to make it more exciting.

Also does anyone know if Rare Bear put an extension on the leading edge of the wing? They were talking about it last year but with their current budget I assume not. Anyway Go BEAR!

Jarrod

Re: Why did they change the course last year?

Originally posted by jarrodeu
    For many years it has been the same course so why the change?

Technically, that's not true. The course at Reno has changed at least a dozen or more times over the 40 years they've been running. You can just adjust the timing/distance to get the correct speed.

Last year, it was the timing that they changed...and that's what the fuss is/was all about.

Comment

Re: Why did they change the course last year?

Yeah and it sucks too. Now all the race speeds (in my mind at least) are suspect until I can to the mental (strain!) calculations to compare them to the old timing method to get a true speed comparison.

No disrespect to the Dago team, but this years 500 lap rang hollow for me. The barrier that has stood for so long was easily bested by the RARA looking for wow factor. I know they still would have done it measured the old way, and for me it would have held more weight. The RARA's antics overshadowed a huge milestone in racing history.

I understand many pilots are not happy with the new system. It seems incomprehesible that they would make all existing records essentially void. What a way to sh** on the sport!

Is there any indication that they will change back?

My .02

Red
      Mach 3 with my hair on fire

Comment

Working...
      X