Turbine Thunder Mustang flies for first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbine Thunder Mustang flies for first time

Just thought I would let everyone know that I saw the new turbine TM fly this afternoon for the first time. It took off Nampa runway 11 and climbed for altitude for what I am assuming to ring out the new engine. After about 10-15 minutes he returned and did several low high speed passes over the airport and my house which is on the down wind leg for runway 11. This plane sounds incredible with the new PT-6 engine. Hope to see it at Reno sometime soon.
    Mike

Nampa Where???

Do you mean Nampa idaho? Or are you referring to another Nampa?

Comment

Re: Turbine Thunder Mustang flies for first time

You are absolutely correct shanedog, it is Nampa Idaho
      Mike

Comment

Is She based in Nampa or just stopping by? Know where I can find any pics! Thanks

Comment

Hey ShaneDog
          from what I know this project is based at the Nampa Idaho airport in the Papa 51 LTD (i.e. Thunder Mustang) production building that is owned by Dan Denney. I haven't been able to get a hold of Dan as of yet to talk with him about his project. I know him vagely because my dad worked for him when he was producing the Kit Fox line of aircraft as a saleman. I am still hopeful that I can get in touch with him and hopefully post some pictures of the aircraft very soon. Also wanted to find out if he was going to race his glasair III this year, I know he had someone race it for him at Reno in 2002. I believe it was race number 88 but am not positively sure that is the correct race number for him. Anyway I will keep you all posted as I can accumulate more info on this AWESOME project.
          Mike

Comment

Dan's Glasair is the fastest ever in Sport Class racing. It is race #77, N92XL, named "U'd Loose Too!" (his Corvette had license plate "U'd Loose" so I guess it was the first of the series). In 2002 this Glasair III flown by Lou Meyer qualified at 290.900 mph on the Sport Class course. It raced to fifth in the Gold at 286.740, and actually was faster in one heat race at 289.679 that year. The second fastest qualifying Sport Glasair, another model III, was race #19, "Nut'n Serious" N3QH, also in 2002 qualifying at 282.966 with Craig Sherman. Mike Jones raced his "Cheeky Charlie", race #10, N510CM, in 2002 at a slightly faster clip than #19 with a 270.909mph, 7th place Gold finish ahead of Sherman at 270,566. Race # 10 was over 3 mph faster in a heat race.

Now remember this too that John Parker qualified his Glasair, race #300, N300VV at 294.663 in 1996 in the Unlimiteds on a 9.125 mile course. (In 1995 John's speed in the Unlimiteds qualifying was 276.699 on a 9.128 mile course.) In 1998 it qualified sixth at 275.233 on the Sport Class course. It surprised a few and raced to fourth in the Gold that year at a blistering 296.146.

I don't have the 2003 Glasair speeds in front of me but these are the best numbers thru 2002.

Comment

For more on Dan Denney's fast rides see:

Comment

I think the turbine Thunder Mustang is Ernesto Estrada's TM that has been re-engined. I remember something about Estrada wanting to go that route and the timeline seems right.

All titles aside, as far as the fastest Glasair is concerned, do a search at the RARA site and you will find that (according to RARA):

Fastest is Lou Meyer in Denny's race 77 at 387.358 in 2002 Heat 1A. Obviously that is an entry error and the speed is really 287.358, otherwise he would not have finished 6th and I think we all would remeber a Glasair going 100 mph faster that any other Glasair and 60 mph faster than any other sport racer.

Fastest for real according to official RARA records is Tom Hahn in race 4 @ 295.834 set qualifying in 1999.

Second is John Parker in Race 300 @ 291.146 during the 1998 Gold (6 lap average time so surely some laps were at faster speeds)

Third, Lou Meyer in Denny's 77 @ 290.900 set qualifying in 2002.

Bill Pearce
                Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Tom Hahn's race #4

Tom's race #4 was not a Glasair but a Venture.

I think you are right about the Estrada Thunder but haven't confirmed it yet.

Comment

Like I said, that is how it is listed on the RARA site. It says Tom Hahn raced a Glasair III in 1999. It's too bad that the info is not 100% accurate, but great to have info that is at least, fairly accurate.

Thanks for the correction,

Bill
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Guys,

I couldn't resist commenting. When I started designing my small racer concept around Merlin 61 engine I was dating a girl Finlands Lapland from a town no other than Nampa...it is curious..there is also Ylinampa and Alanampa...explaining the situ..( Higher Nampa / Lower Nampa ).

Juke T

Below the TS II racer ( smallest possible racer around a Merlin 61 engine ).
                      Attached Files
                      http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

sport clas speeds

.....what did Greenemier (sp?) do?...

.....didn't he turn a 347mph lap?
                        Mayday51
                        Jim Gallagher

Comment

Darryl Greenamyer flys a Lancair, not a Glasair as the thread has been discussing.

Comment

It's true, the Turbine Thunder Mustang is owned by Ernesto Estrada. He plans to base the airplane in Miami. It has a Walter on it , not a PT6.

it was completed by Dan Denney's Precision Aircraft. PAPA51 for all practical purposes no longer exists, long time defunct!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X