Rutan does it again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rutan does it again!

The eAc engines failed to fire after the first test. After looking like the obvious choice in the first test, they couldn't fire up the rocket on the three remaining tests.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by RichH
      Is anyone else as surprised that this made it to TV so quickly? They just made the X Prize on Monday, and here it was on Discovery Channel Thursday in a 2 hour special. Thursday was a great night of TV viewing for enthusiasts!
      The show actually only covered up through the first space flight made by Mellville several months ago, and not the two X-prize flights in the last two weeks.

Comment

Randy... yeah, that was the first hour. The second hour was "capturing the x-prize" or something to that effect, and covered both x-prize flights start to finish.

Comment

Randy... yeah, that was the first hour. The second hour was "capturing the x-prize" or something to that effect, and covered both x-prize flights start to finish.
          I just learned something...There were TWO programs last night! (Thursday)

One was a 2-hour program showing the concept, construction, flight tests, and concluded with the June flight (first civilian craft into space). This was the flight when Mike released the M&Ms from his pocket, and when they experienced the malfuncting left stabilizer. It ended with rolling text stating that the first x-prize flight had been successfully flown on 09-29-04, but showed no footage of that flight. I played the tape back just now to verify this.

Right afterwards, there was a 1 hour program that showed the first x-prize flight on september 29th, complete with the unexpected rolls. I didn't watch it all the way through, so I never noticed the October flight. Did they actually show it, or just mention it?

The 2-hour show aired at 7:00pm west coast time, while the shorter program came on at 9:00 and ended at 10:00. Both were repeated later that evening.

Why didn't I watch the 1-hour program through completion?

When the second program began following the first, I thought it was just a "condensed" version of the longer program with the construction portion edited out, and so I only taped the 2-hour show and didn't record the following shorter program. I only now realized that the 1-hour program was unique, and was about the 9-29-2004 flight, because I DO recall seeing the 20-30 rolls during the 1st attempt.

I just checked yesterday's schedule at the Discovery.com website. The 2-hour program was called "Black Sky: The Race for Space", while the second shorter one was titled "Black Sky: Winning the X-Prize"

Dog-gone it! now I have to wait for them to show the 1-hour program again so I can see it all the way through...

Comment

I guess I didn't realize the first show was 2 hours, as not knowing it was on, I switched to Discovery after Despain and there it was. Yes, "winning the x-prize" showed the whole Monday Oct. 4 flight also.

Comment

The second show on Thursday night was about both X-Prize flights. Very good show I might add.

Comment

I also saw an ad for a 3 hour special on the Science Channel (DSC) for Oct 12.

GP

Comment

Working...
                X