Renegade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renegade

Check out the progress on Renegade on their website.

Aircraft for sale. Find the best new and used aircraft for sale such as business jets, helicopters, Experimental, Warbirds and more.

Re: Renegade

I've been watching that site, too. First, I'm glad that they've posted frequent photos. Second, I'm glad that there are people that will try this, Sandberg, Pond and now Rose (amongst others).
    Years ago, I heard one unlimited driver get off on a rant about how the Pond Racer was just an "ego thing," but I've give credit to anyone willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Comment

I'm not so sure that the Pond Racer was an ego trip for Bob Pond. Everyone knows 'why' he did it...he just didn't want to see warbirds butchered into racers.

I think the problem with the Pond Racer was the attitude it was presented initially. Dick Rutan pretty much blasted the entire racing community, and boasted how the Pond Racer was going to kick everyone's ass, blah, blah, blah....and this was even before the damn thing was built. The claims were that they were going to make the modified Mustangs, Sea Furies, and Bearcats 'obsolete' overnight.

I think THAT is what ruffled a few feathers. It was the confidence in the project that turned into arrogance before it even took flight.

Just my .02, though....

Comment

rose isn't the kind of guy to let someone else race his plane for him, i wonder what he will be flying up here...
        heh heh alriiiight

Comment

I hate to play devils advocate here but, the Renegade looks to be a second generation Mach Buster. We all saw how far that project went. I can appreciate the effort being made, really I can! I hope the Renegade project fairs better. Innovation and dreams have moved this sport farther than anything else. A new powerplant is going to have to be found if this motorsport is to survive. How many race engine builders are left? Less than the number of fingers I have on one hand. Who is going to carry the torch when the likes of Thorne, Hovey and others are unable to build the 4000 Hp beasts? New blood is desperately needed if racing is to continue beyond the near future. If this is not addressed soon the attrition of powerplants and the knowledge to make it all work is simply going to disappear. I know I have just opened myself up to the ire of many but, the FACT remains both of the above mentioned elements of air racing are dwindling. I hope for the future of air racing. I hope it continues. Blast away!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
            I hate to play devils advocate here but, the Renegade looks to be a second generation Mach Buster. Dave
            Dave, unless I'm missing what's happening here, that is, exactly what Renegade is..

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I saw my first race at Reno in 1966 as an 8 yr. old kid. I was hooked and have missed very few since that time. In fact when I got married I told my wife that as much as I love her, we could get married any day of the year EXCEPT the Sunday of the air races. She's been a wonderful sport through it all--she's even become a fan!

I've watched planes, dreams, and rumors come and go and I've come to the conclusion that someone like David Rose is going to show up at Reno some year without a huge amount of fanfair with something somewhat radical--not a modified warbird--and blow the doors off of everyone. It will completely shock most everyone. The warbird owners will be standing around scratching their heads knowing that they can't compete with this new racer--at least for the same amount of money--in comparison. Will it be exciting?? You bet. Will it be very sad? In every way I can think of. I love the sound of radial engines and tricked out merlins as much as anyone--but the sport needs to survive.

I have also realized that through the years that I have had tons of questions. I've read everything that I could get my hands on about air racing, watched every video available, asked questions to everyone that I thought knew anything at all about airplanes and racing. I've come to one major conclusion--I still have many more questions than answers--would never, ever pretend to know it all or anything close to that. That's why when I see a project like this or Wildfire or whatever--my hat is off to these people--I wish them nothing but complete safety and success. Who am I to be critical of what they are trying to accomplish? I will see them at Reno, stand and watch them, ask questions, listen to everyone's comments and ask more questions and most important be suportive and let them know that I appreciate their efforts. Isn't it amazing how much more open they are to talking to you when you take that approach?

Good luck David Rose!

Comment

Regarding the Pond, I do think Rutan set the bar too low as far as speed, but remember that they lost their engine supplier during developement.

Remeber the engine was the one the Nissan factory IMSA GTP team ran.(Rememer IMSA? Basically Formula 1 cars with fenders. At all tracks where CART and IMSA both ran, the GTP cars generally beat the Indy/champ cars lap times. Geoff Brabham was the driver and they won virtually all the races, not unlike Ferrari in F1 in recent years).

At the time the Pond was developed, the "dirty little secret" about the Nissan engine is that Nissan didn't design or build it. The engine was built by Electromotive in California which was owned by, I beleive, Dan Devendorf. Nissan solved that PR problem by buying out Electromotive at about the time the Pond made its debut. And Nissan was NOT enthused to learn their engine was being used in an application that they did not control, and so all support was cut off.

Also, remember the original gearbox turned the engine at a lower rpm and they hoped to run a higher engine rpm later, but I remember them kicking a rod out at Reno (don't know what gearbox they were useing when that happened). And then at the end they decided running methanol in a composite structure was too much of a corrosion problem (remember all the elaborate pre-and post flight procedures necessitated by the alky fuel) so they converted the motors to run on racing gas (probably lower boost or compression, less ignition timing and a way leaner fuel map, although I am only guessing, never having any methanol experience) and
                were on their last few dollars when Rick died.

Ron Henning
                Ron Henning

Comment

Working...
                X