• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Spirit

Any new news on Matt's American Spirit?

Re: American Spirit

Originally posted by Jay H.
    Phew Jay, that's a tough one. A bit of info has circulated around from time to time from Matt on this, I believe, if I'm remembering correctly, last time he checked in, he'd gotten some financing and was moving on it..

Sometimes it takes a very long time to bring a "concept" air racer into being, I suspect, American Spirit, formerly known as the "Jackson Cornell Racer" will be as with others in the past. We'll hear about it for years, dream about it and someone will get lucky and grab a photo or some bit of info from time to time and eventually, we'll get to see it at Reno.

That'd be the hope anyway! New stuff in the pipe is what fuels the interest in this sport and it's all good!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Jay H.

Project is back on tract. Work has begun to complete aircraft for 2005. Word has it that Matt has struck a deal with the Snaders brothers to complete the aircraft before Reno next year. Plane is being loaded on trailer for trip to Eagles nest.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        Project is back on tract. Work has begun to complete aircraft for 2005. Word has it that Matt has struck a deal with the Snaders brothers to complete the aircraft before Reno next year. Plane is being loaded on trailer for trip to Eagles nest.
        As you correctly point out, Wayne, our sport is often as much driven by rumors as it is by Merlins and 3350s. From Tsunami, the Pond and MAII through the current breed of homebuilt unlimiteds (American Spirit, Renegade, Wildfire?, Shockwave???), we live through the "off season" by hanging onto rumors of who/what might be there "this" year, only to have to accept the disappointment of "next year for sure". My point here is that information like that quoted above makes people believe something is happening (and I truly hope it is). It would just mean much more if some credible name was attached to it instead of "Unregistered".

At Reno last year the rumor that American Spirit was fully funded and would be completed for Matt by the Sanders was all over the pits. There were only two problems with the rumor.
        1. The Sanders didn't seem to know anything about it.
        2. Right in front of me, Ken Dwelle called Dave Cornell on the phone and he "knew nothing about it". (I know that he is no longer formally involved with the plane, but I've got to believe that he would know something about it!).

Anyway, I just hope that this time we are building our hopes on reports from someone who really knows.

Comment

Originally posted by kenf
          My point here is that information like that quoted above makes people believe something is happening (and I truly hope it is). It would just mean much more if some credible name was attached to it instead of "Unregistered".
          Yep, I could not agree more. There sometimes are reasons for people using nicks, or not signing up, other times, it's just for fun because we all know who the person is behind the nickname... just the same, a message board full of "guest" as the poster does not hold much value or interest... we're gettin there... tho, more and more folks are giving in and signing up. Or using guest post but signing their names..

Would love to see the racer!

Wayne
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

What is or was renegade supposed to be and how about shockwave. Ive never heard of them.

Comment

Jarrod,

......me thinks it wise to go through the archives on this site(and forum) I'm sure lots of your questions will be answered.....

.......you may be surprised at what is waiting there!
              Mayday51
              Jim Gallagher

Comment

This is the only post not made today using SHOCKWAVE as the search word:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

..And this might be the best thread for Renegade:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
                  What is or was renegade supposed to be and how about shockwave. Ive never heard of them.
                  jarrodeu

It looks like you have access to pretty decent info on "Renegade" but not much on "Shockwave", so here goes..

Shockwave is (was supposed to be?) a largely custom built unlimited owned, built, and raced by Darryl Greenamyer. Shockwave has a custom built center section, Sea Fury out wing panels, tail feathers from (I think) a T-33, and 4360 power. The design work was done by the late Bruce Boland (The Red Baron, Tsunami, etc.), and quite a bit of construction was reportedly completed. At least one year, at Reno, Darryl had a booth displaying a model of the plane and looking for contributions.

Construction started in Southern California (Ramona, I believe) but was halted for two main reasons:
                  1. Darryl was deeply affected by the death of Bruce Boland.
                  2. Darryl lost a ton of money when the "Kee Bird" B-29 recovery effort
                  failed in Greenland.
                  It also seems likely that Darryl's deep involvement and success in the Sport Class isn't helping Shockwave at all. Not too long ago, however, someone reported that the project was active again but had been moved elswhere (to the midwest?).

I think EVERYBODY would like to know the true current status of the project. I came close to being able to ask Darryl about it last year at Reno, but the opportunity slipped away.

WAYNE - I know that if there was any way of really getting anything definitive on this, you would have chased it down long ago. But it sure would be nice to get an accurate update!

Comment

I think it was an F-86 tail.

Michele

Comment

if i remember correctly parts of the tail were off an f-86
                      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

I think that you are right about the F-86 tail because, now that I think about the model Darryl had at Reno, it's tail was much more swept back than a T-33.

Comment

Working...
                        X