Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little update from Eagles Nest

Hi race fans.....

I visited Ruth, Dennis & Brian Sanders facility this weekend and thought I'd share a little info on what's up at the west coast Sea Fury mecca known as Eagles Nest. The mood at the shop was very upbeat, as always. First and foremost, looks like Dreadnought is going to be sitting Reno 2004 out - still without her race engine, it's probably going to be well into next year before it gets back from the shop. I know, a sad thing but at least Argonaut is healthy and should be making the call to the pylons.

I talked briefly with Susan Miller (who has always been very involved with her husband Mike Brown's passion for air racing). 911 is in the process of getting her annual checkup/certification (looking as beautiful as ever) and both 911 and the Tigercat will be making the trip to Reno for the PRS to get some time on the course. Also, September Fury's new race engine should be delivered in the very near future, making her appearance at Reno 2004 almost a certainty.

As an interesting aside... the restoration of 924 (the late Frank Sanders Sea Fury) is coming along very nicely and if I had to hazard a guess, should be air worthy by this time next year. In the machine shop - there was a new air scoop for a P-82 under construction (no, this one is not for Double Threat or whatever name that 'ghost racer' goes by). Sorry, I can't recall who the scopp is being built for, but it was very exciting to learn that there is an active restoration ongoing for a twin mustang. Way cool .

But the real highlight of my visit culminated when I got to get behind the wheel of what has to be one of the sweetest rides at Eagles Nest - a fully restored 1931 Pearce Arrow. This car was actually owned by Grandpa Sanders, and you have to know that the setimental value of this meticulously preserved piece of automotive history is something that cannot be attached to any price tag. Brian Sanders has been doing a lot of mechanical work to the auto, and I must say - she drives every bit as good as she looks. Just another of the way cool things at one of the friendliest places to go. Thanks to Brian, Dennis & Ruth for once again making my visit to Eagles Nest a happy and memorable one.

Well, that's about it. I will be making regular visits up north and will be sure to try to keep everyone updated on "what's up" at the nest. Till next time - you're six is clear.

Mark K...
    Attached Files
    Mark K....

Re: A little update from Eagles Nest

Umm, Mark......aren't you forgetting a certain 232??

Comment

Check the last sentence in second paragraph.

"Also, September Fury's new race engine should be delivered in the very near future, making her appearance at Reno 2004 almost a certainty."

Comment

Well crap, public edgeumacation strikes again....

Comment

Mark,
          Thanks for the update! Putting you behind the wheel of the Pierce shows their trust in you. Of course you returned the favor by letting them drive the Cobra, right?

The front of 911 looks a little more streamlined than I remember it. Did they make any changes? When I was up there the last time, they had a Beech 18 that was painted up in the team colors. Did you get any photos of that? Also, any photos of the Pierce's interior? If not, no worries. I'm gratefull you posted the stuff that you did.

C-YA@PRS!
          Race 29
          Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Naw - I guess I misplaced Mrs Manners at the time (my bad ) - but they can drive the 03 Cobra anytime they want. I'll be sure to make the offer next time I go up.

I wasn't made aware of any changes on 911... but that doesn't mean that there aren't any. I'll report back and let you know in a couple of weeks. The Beech was in the other new hangar, along with Dreadnought, Argonaut and a project Sea Fury. Unfortunately at that time I had forgotten my camera in the car and didn't get back out there later in the day.

Here's a few more pics of the Pierce Arrow (love that car!)
            Attached Files
            Mark K....

Comment

As far as a change, what I can see from the photos of 911 is that they've followed suit from what was done on 232 and also abandoned the idea of completely plugging up the vent behind the exhaust stacks and removed the carbon-fiber piece from there. I thought it was interesting that they removed the modification from 232 but still ran that way on 911 last year.

-R.

Comment

Nice work Markers! That's some "take the GF out for the evening back seat" ride they have there!

And that certainly is an "eat off the floor" shop!!

Paul Sr. would be happy there I think!

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

My guess is that the scoop is for the P-82E at C&P Aviation in Blaine, MN, this is the ex-Walter Soplota airframe. The only other canidate I know of is the ex-CAF P-82B, which is currently the center of an ownership dispute.
                  Dan Johnson

Comment

Mark,
                    Thanks for the extra photos! The woodwork on the dash and window rails is stunning. Great pictures!

Race 29
                    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

hmmm, in one of the first set of pictures i can see an unpainted tigercat and two sea furies, whose are they? hehe
                      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Ok, talked to Dennis today about the Dreadnoght engine and Percision took off the the blower section a while back in search for the part or parts that were making metal and nothing was found so they moved to the accessory case and came to the conclusion the oil pump was the cause of the metal. They put everything back together and recently ran the engine in the test cell. Now there is some good news and some bad news here, bad news is that the A3 cylinder threw a rod, good news they found the source of the metal. Fortunatly A3 rod is an articulating rod and it broke at the nuckle pin causing the piston to get pushed out of the way from the crank and did no other damage to the engine! A3 is also located at the last row of cylinders and wont be to hard to fix compared to a cylinder on row B or C. Dennis also said that it's a possibility that it will be fixed and back to Eagles Nest in time for September! So not as bad as it seemed.

Comment

Most excellent!! I am glad to hear that. I also love watching and hearing the Buick run.. Thats for giving us all the updates. John
                          Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

I can tell you what I know. The Sea Fury directly behind Sept Pops is Frank Sanders 924G. This aircraft has been in the Sanders stable since about 1972. Brian and Dennis are doing a fabulous job restoring the family heirloom. This will be a fantastic looking warbird once it is completed over the next couple years. The Sea Fury behind the T-6 belongs to Chuck Greenhill. It is powered by a Bristol Centaurus and is coming along nicely. Not clear whether the Sanders will be completing the entire restoration or get the aircraft to a certain point before moving on. Next summer is the time frame when the Sanders complete their work. The Tigercat has been in the Sanders hanger for a couple years. The project was rolling along nicely and has been put on hold. The owner's name escapes me at the moment. Perhaps someone could lend more info regarding these aircraft. Kind of fill-in the blanks stuff.

Dave

Comment

Whose SF is #281?
                              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Working...
                              X