Reno Pylon Racing School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno Pylon Racing School

Or are you Wayne? Pipe dream? After the carrier incident and dad's jump who knows?

Wonder what Air Force One could do around the course. Definately give the press entourage a good cleaning bill for their shorts!

I figure if he was to pay a visit there the security would pretty much remove most of us from the picture.

Leo
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
      Or are you Wayne? Pipe dream? After the carrier incident and dad's jump who knows?

Wonder what Air Force One could do around the course. Definately give the press entourage a good cleaning bill for their shorts!

I figure if he was to pay a visit there the security would pretty much remove most of us from the picture.

Leo
      Would be a riot ey... That would be the trouble being someone like George W. or... Treat Williams. If you want to do something like race an airplane.. For different reasons for both (obviously ) they'd have problems.

Now.. *if* Treat (one of my favorite actors by the way) does show up for training, we all gotta be on our best behavior and treat him like all the rest of the smelly old race pile its... Ignore him, don't let him have any beer and generally treat him with disrespect..... oops!!! That's the R.A.G.S meeting I'm thinking of...

You get my drift though ey.... ??

Wayner
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

AOPA had a release today saying that the airspace around Reno (60 miles) would be closed to general aviation--probably including air racers--from approx. 1:30-3:30 pm. Maybe they can do their ground school stuff during that time and fly before and after. (?)

Comment

I read somewhere that Treat owns a T-6 so maybe he's going to bend some pylons in the Texan class?????

Found this:http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html...sp7=local_news
          Last edited by Chad Veich; 06-16-2004, 07:22 PM.

Comment

The following quote was cut and pasted from the AOPA e-newsletter today. I expect this will disrupt airborne activity at Stead during the hours mentioned as it is well within the 60 mile diameter of the TFR. This is of course only an early warning. I'll check the NOTAMS later in the week.
            Bill

"

FAA TO ESTABLISH TFR OVER RENO ON FRIDAY
            AOPA is sending this message to advise pilots in and near Reno, Nevada,
            that the FAA is expected to issue a notam restricting flight in the
            area during President Bush's planned visit on Friday, June 18.

Based on AOPA's best information at this time, the president will
            arrive at 1:30 p.m. and depart at 3:30 p.m. local time on Friday. AOPA
            anticipates that the notam will establish a large temporary flight
            restriction (TFR) limiting general aviation flight. Typically, these
            presidential travel-related TFRs are 60 nautical miles in diameter
            (30-nm radius) and contain one or more smaller general aviation no-fly
            zones. AOPA will post a graphic as well as the notam on AOPA Online
            ( http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html ) as soon as possible after
            it is issued.

The information in this notice is provided to AOPA by the FAA. Because
            TFR airspace frequently changes, AOPA strongly encourages pilots to
            obtain a briefing and CHECK NOTAMS before every flight. TFR
            violators will be intercepted and forced to land."
            Bill Garnett
            InterstellarDust
            Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Following the link one finds the actual notam and the AOPA interpretation. Since this is Pylon racing School it would seem to be strictly forbidden as "FLIGHT TRAINING" and perhaps "AEROBATIC FLIGHT". It does appear that one can come and go only from airports in the area by filing a flight plan and squawking an assigned transponder frequency, so perhaps they can arrange and exemption. There is no mention of PRS but Stead (4SD) is clearly within the TFR.

4/5502 PART 1 OF 3 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS RENO, NEVADA, JUNE 18, 2004 LOCAL. PURSUANT TO TITLE 14, SECTION 91.141, OF THE CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS (CFR), AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN 30 NMR UP TO BUT NOT INCLUDING FL180 OF 392904N/1194630W OR THE FMG227006 FROM 0406182000 (1300 LOCAL 06/18/04) UNTIL 0406182250 (1550 LOCAL 06/18/04), WITHIN 10 NMR UP TO BUT NOT INCLUDING FL180 OF 392904N/1194630W OR THE FMG227006 FROM 0406182000 (1300 LOCAL 06/18/04) UNTIL 0406182250 (1550 LOCAL 06/18/04), EXCEPT AS SPECIFIED BELOW AND/OR UNLESS AUTHORIZED BY ATC: A. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS WITHIN A 10 NMR AREA LISTED ABOVE ARE PROHIBITED EXCEPT FOR: 1. LAW ENFORCEMENT, MILITARY AIRCRAFT DIRECTLY SUPPORTING THE UNITED STATES SECRET SERVICE (USSS) AND THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, EMERGENCY MEDICAL FLIGHTS, AND REGULARLY SCHEDULED COMMERCIAL PASSENGER AND CARGO AIRCRAFT THAT MEET OR EXCEED THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION'S (TSA) DOMESTIC SECURITY INTEGRATED PROGRAM (DSIP) STANDARDS AND ARE ARRIVING INTO AND/OR DEPARTING FROM 14 CFR PART 139 AIRPORTS. 2. FOR OPERATIONS WITHIN THE TFR ALL MEDICAL FLIGHT OPERATION COMPANIES SHALL COORDINATE WITH (775) 784-5582 EXT3016 PRIOR TO END PART 1 OF 3 WIE UNTIL UFN

PART 2 OF 3 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS RENO, NEVADA, THIS NOTAM GOING INTO EFFECT TO AVOID POTENTIAL DELAYS. B. WITHIN THE AIRSPACE BETWEEN 10 NMR AND 30 NMR LISTED ABOVE: 1. ALL AIRCRAFT ENTERING OR EXITING THE 30 NMR TFR SHALL BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR OR VFR FLIGHT PLAN WITH A DISCRETE CODE ASSIGNED BY AN ATC FACILITY. AIRCRAFT SHALL BE SQUAWKING THE DISCRETE CODE PRIOR TO DEPARTURE AND AT ALL TIMES WHILE IN THE TFR. 2. ALL AIRCRAFT ENTERING OR EXITING THE 30 NMR TFR MUST REMAIN IN TWO-WAY RADIO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ATC. 3. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING WITHIN THE 10 NMR TO 30 NMR TFR AND OPERATING AT ALTITUDES OF UP TO BUT NOT INCLUDING FL180 ARE LIMITED TO AIRCRAFT ARRIVING OR DEPARTING LOCAL AIRFIELDS AND ATC MAY AUTHORIZE TRANSIT OPERATIONS. AIRCRAFT MAY NOT LOITER. 4. FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRALIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS, COMMERCIAL CARGO CARRIER OPERATIONS THAT FAIL TO MEET OR EXCEED THE TSA'S DSIP STANDARDS, ARE NOT AUTHORIZED. 5. ALL USSS CLEARED AIRCRAFT OPERATORS BASED IN THE AREA SHOULD NOTIFY THE USSS PRIOR TO THEIR DEPARTURE. END PART 2 OF 3 WIE UNTIL UFN

PART 3 OF 3 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS RENO, NEVADA, 6. ALL MEDICAL FLIGHT OPERATION COMPANIES SHALL COORDINATE WITH (775) 784-5582 EXT3016 PRIOR TO THIS NOTAM GOING INTO EFFECT TO AVOID POTENTIAL DELAYS WHEN THE NOTAM IS IN EFFECT. C. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATORS CHECK NOTAMS FREQUENTLY FOR POSSIBLE REQUIRED CHANGES TO THIS TFR PRIOR TO OPERATIONS WITHIN THIS REGION. END PART 3 OF 3 WIE UNTIL UFN [Graphic pending.]

AOPA has compiled plain-language guidance and a list of airports affected by notam 4/5502:
              Size and location:
              Centered on 392904N 1194630W:
              30-nm-radius TFR up to 17,999-ft-MSL with inner 10-nm-radius no-fly zone up to 17,999-ft-MSL
              Effective times:
              1300 local until 1550 local, June 18
              Requirements for flight in the 10-30 nm area:
              Limited to arriving or departing local airfields
              Must be on active VFR or IFR flight plan
              Squawk discrete code obtained from ATC
              Two-way communication with ATC
              No loitering
              Operations not authorized: FLIGHT TRAINING, PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES, AEROBATIC FLIGHT, GLIDER OPERATIONS, PARACHUTE OPERATIONS, ULTRALIGHT, HANG GLIDING, BALLOON OPERATIONS, AGRICULTURE/CROP DUSTING, ANIMAL POPULATION CONTROL FLIGHT OPERATIONS, BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS, COMMERCIAL CARGO CARRIER OPERATIONS THAT FAIL TO MEET OR EXCEED THE TSA'S DSIP STANDARDS
              Bill Garnett
              InterstellarDust
              Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

It sounds like I might have to go on Saturday now instead of Friday. That really puts a cramp in my schedule. I really wanted to go on Friday but if the airspace is shutdown from 1:30 to 3:30, their really is no point in me going on Friday. I don't know what to do. Maybe Staurday. I guess I will play it by ear. Regardless, I will see you all there!!!
                "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Operations not authorized: BANNER TOWING OPERATIONS,
                  Damn, I waisted all that money on my banner that says "Jenna Bush, call me, we'll party!"

Race 29
                  Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Well, hell! If Bush is making it out for PRS I guess I can too. I'll be the dorky looking guy with jeans, black boots, American Air Racing hat, a T-shirt, and camera with the big BLACK lens. I'm pretty antisocial but feel free to yell at me or throw blunt objects at me. If you do throw something at me, make sure it is a sealed 12oz can or bottle full of the golden nectar of the gods. I'll be there Fri-Sat-Sun.

Bill Pearce
                    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

We outa meet just once for a group photo!
                      Heck, we'll all be there.
                      I'm already anxious, it's gatting harder and harder to stay at work!

Leo
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Any news on whether or not there is going to be a spaghetti feed at the Rare Bear hanger Saturday evening?

I look forward to meeting y'all.

Rick

Comment

Re: Treat Williams - PRS

Originally posted by RenoDon
                          I heard this morning on the radio that actor Treat Williams will be attending the PRS (as a pilot). Does anyone know what class / aircraft he will be flying?

This could be great exposure for the races!

I received a voicemail over the weekend from a UAL aircraft mechanic who lives in Adelanto, stating that both Treat and a "twin engine warbird air racer conversion" (Double Threat?) were getting "familiar with each other" in one of the old George AFB fighter hangars. If this is true (Sani-Hut poop?), should the name of the craft be changed to Double Treat?

Comment

Any new news about the no-fly time during PRS? Whether or not RARA got an exemption during that time? Thanks!!
                            "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

I am pretty sure that I am going to head up on Staurday now instead of Friday. With the period of no fly it would not make any sense for me to go that day. See, I have to be back early friday for a softball game so I cannot wait until after 3:30 to watch. I am definately going up on Saturday though. I will not be in the Ford Explorer, though, gas is to cheap. I will be in a maroon 4-door Honda Accord, 1992 model, and oh yeah, the cooler. Stop bye and have a cold one with me, only if you can handle high end brew; Keystone Light!!! If anything changes about the no-fly time during Friday, please let me know, because I will probaly go Friday then.
                              "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Well guys, I'm the new kid on the block. I'm planning on flying in tomorrow on SWA at 12:30 PM. I hope ATC doesn't put the plane into a holding pattern until Bush lands. As to what I'll be wearing I'm not sure, but I might have on a Beaver baseball cap though. I'm really looking forward to this weekend and getting my air racing fix satisfied.

Cheers,

John

Comment

Working...
                                X