Merced 'o4 comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merced 'o4 comments

This past Friday, my uncle and I flew down to Merced for the 47th annual West Coast Antique Fly-in. We saw some very impressive planes but eh most impressive happend later that day. We were about to head home when I heard the distant rumble of a radial, actually 4 of them. We looked to the north and saw three very large planes flying with 5 smaller planes in front. Then they got closer. A B-17, B-25, B-24, P-51 (2), and a ME-109. They circled around the field then the B-25 came in for a low pass over the runway. He must have been 20 to 30 feet off the runway. The rumble was awesome. The B-24 came in for a pass but not has low as the Mitchell. The B-17 did not make a low pass but landed instead. The the 51's made a pass along with the Me-109. They all landed and headed for the parking area. I really wanted to get a good look at the ME so i followed the plane over to the lot. He shut down the plane and guess who got out: SKIP HOLM!! As you can tell, I was pretty suprised to see him get out of the cockpit (I don't know why). I had to go introduce myself and chat with him. What a great guy! Anyways, thats my 2 cents. I took some pictures with my digital and I will try and post them later this evening. Thanks for listening.

P.S. Anyone going up to Reno to watch PRS? I ma planning on going but I don't know which day. What day would be best?
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Re: Merced 'o4 comments

Though I'm no expert, I've found that the best day to visit seems to be Saturday. In the past, it seemed to me there wasn't as many planes around on Sunday. I know that I'll be there Saturday.

Lonnie

Comment

Re: Merced 'o4 comments

The Merced antique fly-in was outstanding this year. What a refreshing Change! The F-100 Fly by on friday was awsume as well as the rest of the warbird collection that was on diplay. I understand it will be the only North American venue that had the ME-109 ,P-51's,B-17, B-24 and B-25 Hats off to there Warbird committee this year.

Comment

Working...
      X